Jump to topic:

Class Debate Topic

HershelWalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 11:21:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Im enrolled in a communications class and our final project is a group debate where 4 students will debate another 4 students. One side will argue for the specified debate thesis, the other will argue against. The problem we are running into is that we don't want to choose a debate topic where one team gets stuck arguing one side that has little or no supporting evidence. We dont want a boring topic but we want to have good information with a bulk being scholarly and not completely opinion based.

One debate team has chosen "whether or not extraterrestrials exist" so clearly the range of topics are endless. Please help!! We are very undecided. I even thought about doing "whether or not we actually landed on the moon".
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 11:29:58 AM
At 2/19/2013 11:21:31 AM, HershelWalker wrote:
Im enrolled in a communications class and our final project is a group debate where 4 students will debate another 4 students. One side will argue for the specified debate thesis, the other will argue against. The problem we are running into is that we don't want to choose a debate topic where one team gets stuck arguing one side that has little or no supporting evidence. We dont want a boring topic but we want to have good information with a bulk being scholarly and not completely opinion based.

One debate team has chosen "whether or not extraterrestrials exist" so clearly the range of topics are endless. Please help!! We are very undecided. I even thought about doing "whether or not we actually landed on the moon".

LOL
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 11:40:05 AM

If youre looking for material that has evidence to both sides then I recommend the following:

1) Man made global warming exists
2) The war in Iraq was necessary
3) Medical Marijuana should be legalized
4) Marijuana should be legalized
5) Gun control is ineffective
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 11:41:02 AM
At 2/19/2013 11:40:05 AM, imabench wrote:

If youre looking for material that has evidence to both sides then I recommend the following:

I wish I had said this.

He's right.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 3:42:05 PM
Imabench put up a nice list, if you want more: http://lmgtfy.com...#

DDO comes up 1st :)
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 4:14:10 PM
Just look at the "hot issues" list, there's a lot to choose from... :)
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 5:02:08 PM

The solution to your problem is to pick a good topic that entails questions of value, rather than questions of fact.

So, rather than debating, for example: "Abortion lowers crime rates."

Debate: "Abortion is a woman's right."

OR

Rather than debating "Gays make bad parents."

Instead debate: "Gays should be allowed to adopt."
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 5:04:41 PM
At 2/19/2013 11:40:05 AM, imabench wrote:

No debate will change the evidence which proves this is the case -so it might be better to debate "Man has an obligation to not harm the environment."

I love this, but necessity is a spurious term -and invites semantic debate which (while I'm happy to have at) most people seem to dislike.

Good.

Better.

It would be better to debate whether or not people should have a right to bear arms.