Jump to topic:

New Here

Registered_Trademark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 12:14:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Hello I am new to DDO and I was wondering if anyone would give me a basic run-down of what I can expect from this website.

Thanks,
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 12:18:50 PM
Good intellectual discussions on the forums, interesting match-ups and ideological battles in debates, and a friendly,respectful community atmosphere - as long as you show it to us back.

There are, at times, people who show little respect for others and act as if they're the elite of elites, or some that are just plain trolls (people who had nothing to a discussion and create debates and posts for pure spectacle). Its easy to handle them though.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 12:22:20 PM
At 11/3/2009 12:18:50 PM, Volkov wrote:
Good intellectual discussions on the forums, interesting match-ups and ideological battles in debates, and a friendly,respectful community atmosphere - as long as you show it to us back.

There are, at times, people who show little respect for others and act as if they're the elite of elites, or some that are just plain trolls (people who had nothing to a discussion and create debates and posts for pure spectacle). Its easy to handle them though.

^^ Agreed. ^^

We also have a fan site if that interests you. http://ddofans.com...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Registered_Trademark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 12:25:36 PM

PS I looked at the BIG issues portion of your profile and we almost match exactly.
Registered_Trademark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 12:27:05 PM

Thank You, I'm a little hesitant to start a debate myself, does anyone know when a new one is going to start or if they are planning to start one?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 12:27:19 PM
At 11/3/2009 12:25:36 PM, Registered_Trademark wrote:
PS I looked at the BIG issues portion of your profile and we almost match exactly.

Excellent! Ideologically similar people to myself is always welcome by me. :D
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 12:29:59 PM
At 11/3/2009 12:27:05 PM, Registered_Trademark wrote:
Thank You, I'm a little hesitant to start a debate myself, does anyone know when a new one is going to start or if they are planning to start one?

They pop up randomly, time to time. If you are looking for one, go up to the "Debates" heading, click on the little downward arrow and on the drop-down list, you'll see "Challenge Period." If any new debates are there for which you can join, it'll show a number (right now there is 1). Click on it and you can view the debate yourself, and see if you want to do it.

Otherwise, on the forums here, just get involved in discussions and eventually, there will be some contentious issue for you to debate on. You can ask to initiate a debate with whomever then.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 12:37:50 PM

This is truth, in the nutshell you desired.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 12:40:13 PM

I would not start one b/c people like to play off of semantics (until you get the feel with how people debate here.)... if you are, make sure you word it with no loop holes.

If not just wait for the right one.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 12:40:50 PM
At 11/3/2009 12:29:59 PM, Volkov wrote:

They pop up randomly, time to time. If you are looking for one, go up to the "Debates" heading, click on the little downward arrow and on the drop-down list, you'll see "Challenge Period." If any new debates are there for which you can join, it'll show a number (right now there is 1). Click on it and you can view the debate yourself, and see if you want to do it.

Otherwise, on the forums here, just get involved in discussions and eventually, there will be some contentious issue for you to debate on. You can ask to initiate a debate with whomever then.

Good advise!
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 1:30:26 PM
This song describes what you can expect
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 3:11:49 PM
At 11/3/2009 1:30:26 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Everyone's addicted to heroin? :D
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 3:26:19 PM
At 11/3/2009 12:14:35 PM, Registered_Trademark wrote:
Hello I am new to DDO and I was wondering if anyone would give me a basic run-down of what I can expect from this website.

Thanks,

Hi, I'm philosophical! (obviously).

Some things you may like about this site:
1. You can use your creativity and knowledge, and debate your opinions with other people. This is a great leading factor of being more open-minded on issues, helping you see both side on any topic.
2. You can read other people's debate's, some in which you may find interesting, and vote according to who you think did the better job in the debate.
3. You cancreate and comment in forums in practically any topic you may wish!
You can talk to our small little debate commutiny, and become involved in intense conversation with people.

If you would like to do a practice debate, I'd be open to challenge you to one to any issue.

Thankyou
-Philosophical
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 3:31:52 PM
On the topic of forum topics:

You van create any topic, but expect them to veer off-topic in ways you did not imagine. This happens in almost every thread ever created at DDO.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 3:34:07 PM
At 11/3/2009 3:11:49 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 11/3/2009 1:30:26 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Everyone's addicted to heroin? :D
Nope, to DDO. The song is about addiction in general, not just heroin, or you wouldn't be chopping breakfast on a mirror.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2009 3:40:50 PM
At 11/3/2009 3:36:48 PM, JBlake wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but I inject DDO directly into my veins. It is a faster high that way.

Aah, but you risk transmitting the disease to others - or perhaps an overdose could lead to fatal consequences. I prefer simply eating DDO, kind've like "om nom nom DDO nom".