Jump to topic:

Flawed Logics

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 2:58:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
As usual, I'm a bit lazy, so here I go asking.

Within a debate, there are some cases where their sense of logic is flawed.

For example:

- All birds have wings

- All Emus have wings

- Therefore all birds are Emus

From here, you can see that the the conditional settings displayed here is flawed as not all birds are Emus.

Within debates, there are cases where people use these types of flawed logics and resoning, but are sometimes not as obvious.

For one, what is this called? (this type of flawed reasoning) And how do people use it in a debate (regardless if it was intentional or unintentional).

Thanks
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 3:20:09 AM
I am not really into philosophy but I had to take a philosophy class last semester and remember a couple of things. I may be wrong but here is how it goes: the process of figuring out which logical fallacy it is actually involves a few steps.

At 2/21/2013 2:58:14 AM, famer wrote:

- All birds have wings

- All Emus have wings

This is the conclusion. Emus is the Predicate. Birds is the Subject. Wings is obviously the middle term.

So, your syllogism has the form:

All S are M
All P are M
All S are P

As far as distribution is concerned, birds, and Emus are distributed terms because the statements refer to all members of that class (for instance "all" birds or "all" Emus. Wings is not a distributed term because there is no reference to all members of the class "wings." No statements ever makes an assertion about "all" wings.

So, we can have a big circle M (square brackets below), a smaller circle P (curly braces below), and another smaller circle S (parenthesis below) in a Venn diagram.

[wings {birds} (Emus) ]

So, really the problem is that no statement accounts for all the members of wings. The closest fallacy I could find was this: http://en.wikipedia.org...

"Fallacy of the undistributed middle - the middle term in a categorical syllogism is not distributed in either the minor premise or the major premise. It is thus a syllogistic fallacy."
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 7:13:32 AM

For example:

- All birds have wings

- All Emus have wings

From here, you can see that the the conditional settings displayed here is flawed as not all birds are Emus.

Within debates, there are cases where people use these types of flawed logics and resoning, but are sometimes not as obvious.

For one, what is this called? (this type of flawed reasoning) And how do people use it in a debate (regardless if it was intentional or unintentional).

Thanks

You probably venture into the regime of formal logic (http://en.wikipedia.org...). I don't recall the appellation, but the only time I have seen this type of fallacy in using is when one deals with formal logic:
All A are B
All C are B
Therefore all A are C

Yet one can easily make this type of reasoning valid if one adds:
All B are C:

All A are B
All C are B
All B are C => C is B
Since All A are B, therefore All A are C.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 11:55:00 AM
Either enthymeme or more commonly pathos. Well-hidden fallaciousness is the basis of discourse. Someone's always being wrong, somewhere, and it's usually both parties.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 4:39:20 PM
Gays want to marry

Some people oppose gay marrige

All people who oppose gay marrige are homophobic and hate gay people.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 6:48:55 PM

For example:

- All birds have wings

- All Emus have wings

Thanks

Yeah, people will always do silly arguments like that. If this is this, then this is that. It's called hypothetics, the same kind of thing kids use in science project. And there is a reason they are projects that have to be proved, in order to be validated. But, no, In a debate you should point out flawed logic like this. If someone read the debate properly, than they will notice this and give you a conduct point.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
The_Master_Riddler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 6:51:44 PM
That's the fallacy of the undistributed middle.
Stay Alive, Solve Riddles
The_Master_Riddler
P.S. Can I have your autograph?