Jump to topic:

Non-internet sources in a debate

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 3:05:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
What are people's thoughts on non-internet sources in a debate? For example using a book, magazine or a peer-reviewed journal that is not accessible via web.

Do you think its fair for someone to use it or does it give someone an unfair advantage because its inaccessible to the opponent? What If you scan the part of the source that is relevant and make that accessible to your opponent?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 3:07:36 AM
At 2/21/2013 3:05:35 AM, darkkermit wrote:
What If you scan the part of the source that is relevant and make that accessible to your opponent?

+1

I think that would be much more appropriate, unless they have multiple pages that they are referring to. I generally don't do this, so my opinions won't be of much value to be honest.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 3:12:59 AM
At 2/21/2013 3:07:36 AM, famer wrote:
What If you scan the part of the source that is relevant and make that accessible to your opponent?

+1

I think that would be much more appropriate, unless they have multiple pages that they are referring to. I generally don't do this, so my opinions won't be of much value to be honest.

That's another issue itself. It seems as if it would be abusive to use a bunch of 40 page sources. If its "unscanable" then its also unreadable.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 3:24:03 AM
Every statement made by a source must be taken in context. Scanning the "relevant" part obscures the context and makes it more difficult for the opponent to respond. Personally, I prefer internet sources. There are plenty of studies and pdf's out there with tons of research in them.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 3:38:45 AM
What are people's thoughts on non-internet sources in a debate? For example using a book, magazine or a peer-reviewed journal that is not accessible via web.

Do you think its fair for someone to use it or does it give someone an unfair advantage because its inaccessible to the opponent? What If you scan the part of the source that is relevant and make that accessible to your opponent?

I use academic journals all the time, because they are generally more accurate and comprehensive than online stuff. That said, I also have access to JSTOR, SAGE. Wiley, Lexis-Nexis and a host of other journal publications/databases. If you are in college (especially if you are at an American or European university), if you are a grad student, or if you are a professor then you most likely do too...

However, when possible I do try to find full PDF copies of what I'm using -for reasons that others have mentioned which I think are totally valid. That said though, when I cite sources, I usually cite them to the page, so that anyone who can obtain a copy (by legal or other means) can know exactly where to go to find what I'm pulling from.
Tsar of DDO