Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Playing Devil's Advocate...or something...

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 6:18:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is it strange to anyone else that 1Devilsadvocate has a number of debates with people who are:

1. Brand New?
2. Extremely Poor Debaters?
3. Make 1 attempt at debate and then are never to be heard from again?
4. Always seem to forfeit the debate?

In case I'm not being totally clear here, I am accusing this person of creating new IDs to engage those fake IDs in debate in an effort to improve their debate record through full-on cheating the system.

I will account for the fact that I could be completely wrong here, but isn't it just a little strange, or is this type of thing common if one goes out and accepts the open challenges available normally?
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 6:24:40 PM
At 2/21/2013 6:18:54 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
Is it strange to anyone else that 1Devilsadvocate has a number of debates with people who are:

1. Brand New?

In case I'm not being totally clear here, I am accusing this person of creating new IDs to engage those fake IDs in debate in an effort to improve their debate record through full-on cheating the system.

I will account for the fact that I could be completely wrong here, but isn't it just a little strange, or is this type of thing common if one goes out and accepts the open challenges available normally?

1Devilsadvocate is a respectable member and has never made an alt account.

By far, the majority of DDO accounts A) never debate, B) debate once and are never heard from again.

If you are concerned about this kind of thing in the future feel free to contact someone who can clear up the issue for you, rather than making accusation threads.
Debate.org Moderator
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 6:46:05 PM
At 2/21/2013 6:24:40 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

1. Brand New?

By far, the majority of DDO accounts A) never debate, B) debate once and are never heard from again.

If you are concerned about this kind of thing in the future feel free to contact someone who can clear up the issue for you, rather than making accusation threads.

Taking care of business, Airmax. thankyou.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 7:34:46 PM
At 2/21/2013 6:24:40 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

1. Brand New?

As I said, I was allowing for the possibility that I was naive to the ways of the world, but the amount and timing seemed to display a pattern. If this pattern formed naturally, my apologies, but it wasn't alarmist to see it in the 1st place...it's there to be seen...if that is normal, then so be it...never seen it before is all.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 12:17:10 AM
WTF.

Thank you to Airmax for being president, & playing devils advocate for me.

Anyway, Aside from all of airmax's excellent points, How would you explain the fact that I have an ELO of 3634, which is in the top 50. In addition, I have less debates, wins & lower winning percentage than many other debaters with lower ELO scores.

The unfortunate fact, which you'd know if you debated more than 6 times ( I won't say how many of them you lost), is that most debaters don't spend very much time on DDO. Over 80% of Members on DDO, have not done more than 1 debate. I've put much time & effort into a # of debates, only to have my opponent F.F.

So how about challenging me to a debate, it's a great easy opportunity to gain some easy ELO points. We seem to disagree on the Israeli-palestinian conflict, I'd love to debate it with you, (Even though ELO wise it's not worth my time).
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 12:43:47 AM
At 2/22/2013 12:17:10 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
WTF.

Thank you to Airmax for being president, & playing devils advocate for me.

Anyway, Aside from all of airmax's excellent points, How would you explain the fact that I have an ELO of 3634, which is in the top 50. In addition, I have less debates, wins & lower winning percentage than many other debaters with lower ELO scores.

The unfortunate fact, which you'd know if you debated more than 6 times ( I won't say how many of them you lost), is that most debaters don't spend very much time on DDO. Over 80% of Members on DDO, have not done more than 1 debate. I've put much time & effort into a # of debates, only to have my opponent F.F.

So how about challenging me to a debate, it's a great easy opportunity to gain some easy ELO points. We seem to disagree on the Israeli-palestinian conflict, I'd love to debate it with you, (Even though ELO wise it's not worth my time).

Devilsadvocate and I wouldn't be friends on DDO if I thought he was a rotten person and an awful debater. I stick mostly to forums, and he made good arguments there... why not in debates?

It seems like it would be hard to pretend to be good at debating and have it go unnoticed by all the other intelligent and inquisitive people on DDO.
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men