Jump to topic:

Calling all Critiquer!!!

letoyajackson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2009 10:41:52 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
"Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law" Because I strongly believe in the words of Immanuel Kant I affirm the Resolved that: Standards of professional behavior ought be valued above freedom of expression on social networking sites".
Before I continue I would like to define a few crucial terms of my case-
Social Stability- is defined by Merriam Webster as the quality, state, or degree of being stable in association with social relations.
Netiquette–is define by Merriam Webster as etiquette governing communication on the internet

The value I will be upholding in today's debate will be Social stability. Social stability is important because it is needed to achieve balance and order when interaecting on a social structure such as social networking while using free expression. My value is upheld through the criterion of Netiquette by Virginia Shea. The author elucidates on 10 core rules of internet etiquettes. My criterion is important because it is what we need in achieving social stability. For this round I will be using a few of these important core rules which I will use in supporting the following three contentions: How Limitations on the content protect the vulnerable, how it makes society more stable, and how adhering to the standards does not limit your freedoms.
Contention 1:Rule 3- " Know where you are in cyberspace".: What might be perfectly acceptable to one of your friends may be dreadfully rude to another. According to surveys reported by "Pew Internet Research& American Life Project survey" Sixty-five percent of online Americans aged 12 to 17 years old, not including those who don't meet those social networks. This means a great majority of your friends are between the ages of 12 and 17. The younger they are the more vulnerable.

Contention 2: "Keep flame wars under control"

Contention 3: "Remember the Human"