Jump to topic:

Essay debate contest!

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 2:39:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Welcome! I'm going to be holding a debate tournament -- with a twist! Instead of debates where each side argues for different positions, this tournament will have debates where both sides argue for the same resolution! By eliminating convictions of voters from the equation, hopefully this tournament will produce winners who had the best arguments.

How it works:

The main obstacle to debates like these -- debates where both parties argue for the same side -- is that the order matters. It's unfair to the person who post's his or her argument first, because the second person can copy and improve on all of the first person's arguments. Moreover, it's unfair to the second person because they will be limited by the first person's arguments, being accused of copying the first person's arguments if the first person covers all the good points.

I have a solution to this! Before either side posts their argument, they will send me their complete round via personal message. Both sides will have to be done with their argument before anyone posts their argument. After I have received both side's arguments, I will notify both sides that they may post their round. I will then cross-check the arguments posted with the arguments sent to me, to prevent any copying. If any changes have been made, the offender will automatically lose.

Rules:
1) All debates must have 4-5 rounds
2) 8000 character limit
3) 3 day round-post time limit
4) 2 week voting period
5) Resolution must begin with 'Dylan's essay contest'

Anyone can apply to this contest, however, there is a limit of 8 spots. If there are more than 8 applications, only the top 8 debaters will be chosen (not necessarily derived from ELO, but that will be the main criterion)
I will post the resolutions once all the spots have been filled, and notify everyone who they will be against, and what their resolution will be.

Good luck!

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 2:49:28 PM
Also, in the acceptance round of each debate, it will need to be made clear that both sides are arguing for the same side.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 2:50:39 PM
The debate will not start all at once; I will get people debating as soon as there are two people and a resolution they can both agree on.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 2:58:41 PM
Possible debate topics (each resolution also includes the Con or Pro version)

1) The government should pay for post secondary education.

2) Lawyers should make a higher salary than nurses.

3) Females are better students than males.

4) Alcohol should be illegal.

5) Smoking should be permitted in public places.

6) Violent juvenile offenders ought to be treated as adults in the criminal justice system.

7) In America, government provision of welfare for the poor ought to take priority over individual economic freedom.

8) That colleges and universities have a moral obligation to prohibit the public expression of hate speech on their campuses.

9) Hate crime warrants additional punishment.

10) The possession of nuclear weapons is immoral.

11) A just society ought to use affirmative action programs to promote equality.

12) The public's right to know ought to be valued above the right of privacy of candidates for public office.

13) On balance, violent revolution is a just response to oppression.

14) Decentralized governmental power ought to be a fundamental goal of democratic society.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 3:03:48 PM
Just realized, 4 rounds is unnecessary if there are no rebuttals.

Round 1: Acceptance

Round 2: Essay

Round 3: No new additional arguments. Both sides may argue for why their essay was more convincing, and rebut false arguments, or sophism, made by their opponent.