Honesty Box Revival

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 7:26:00 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

Five months ago, Logical-Master posted a Debate.org Honesty Box thing. He explained, "Lets say you want to say something about someone, but are too much of a chicken or are rather too respectful to say it to this person where they shall know it was you to say it. Send me a PM dictating precisely what you have to say and I shall post it in this thread."

I think we should revive his honesty box, but this time, instead of PMing someone your opinions, post them directly here for all to see.

Two few rules, though.

1) I don't want anyone getting banned because of this, so if you want to say something negative, please have some sensitivity.

2) I know this will be really hard, but please no arguing. We want an open atmosphere for people to speak their opinions of one another.

Alright, go, go, go!
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 7:37:14 PM
mongeese is an extremely annoying debater. He's not particularly good, but people often fall for his flawed arguments.

This site is full of pseudo-intellectuals. It has some of the smartest idiots I've seen. Lots of people here have knowledge but lack some common sense or basic intelligence, sometimes (or often.)

Vi_Veri is fine as hell.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 7:37:49 PM
mongeese is extremely annoying sometimes, but at the same time he is very committed to his craft and is very active, both of which are nice.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 7:43:06 PM
At 11/7/2009 7:37:56 PM, Nags wrote:
Seems a bit silly. Basically, we tool on each other. I can't see this being productive in any way whatsoever.

Agreed.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 7:46:14 PM
This wasn't a good idea even when names were anonymous. Given the recent tensions, this can just get ugly.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 7:47:24 PM
At 11/7/2009 7:46:14 PM, Maikuru wrote:
This wasn't a good idea even when names were anonymous. Given the recent tensions, this can just get ugly.

Which is why I want to start this. Get everything out in the open.

If you guys don't like it, though, then that's cool too.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 8:26:42 PM
At 11/7/2009 7:47:24 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 11/7/2009 7:46:14 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Which is why I want to start this. Get everything out in the open.

PoeJoe's idea to create a place where we basically just
At 11/7/2009 7:37:56 PM, Nags wrote:
tool on each other
is completely retarded.

I suspect he's creating an excuse to report the people he doesn't like.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 9:53:10 PM
At 11/7/2009 9:51:34 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I personally don't think that this is a bad idea at all.

Same here. I think it's interesting. Not something people should take seriously or get worked up about.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 10:17:51 PM
I think LeafRod's been holding in a lot of pent-up anger.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 10:29:59 PM
At 11/7/2009 10:09:55 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Are you phucking kidding me???

Huh?

At 11/7/2009 10:17:51 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I think LeafRod's been holding in a lot of pent-up anger.

Nah, man. Let's sit down and talk about it though.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 10:55:32 PM
It wouldn't be a bad idea if most of the people here weren't overly sensitive and easily prone to hissy fits, myself included.

Lets face it; this site isn't exactly a place where maturity grows.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 10:59:20 PM
I just remember what happened last honesty box, and it made me hate every single last person on this site : )

I just got to re-liking everyone, so please don't do this again.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 11:01:56 PM
At 11/7/2009 10:59:20 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
I just remember what happened last honesty box, and it made me hate every single last person on this site : )

See? That is what I'm talking about (no offense Vi - just reinforcing my point).
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 11:04:02 PM
At 11/7/2009 11:01:56 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 11/7/2009 10:59:20 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

See? That is what I'm talking about (no offense Vi - just reinforcing my point).

Were you here for last honesty box? I'm not sure I'm being too sensitive... Some really crude and phucked up things were said.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 11:08:53 PM
At 11/7/2009 11:04:02 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Were you here for last honesty box? I'm not sure I'm being too sensitive... Some really crude and phucked up things were said.

Aye, I was, but I can't remember much of what came out of it. I can believe that some awful things were said, though.

Even so, it wasn't necessarily all bad, and for the comments that were, people could have taken then a little more light heartedly. The purpose of the honesty box was to vent some feelings and look at how people view you, and not as personal attacks. Had people kept this in mind, it would have gone a little smoother.

But, hence why we cannot have this "honesty box" thing now, especially when it isn't anonymous. People are sensitive, rightly or wrongly, and unless we want to split the DDO community into more parts than the former Yugoslavia, its best if we just keep to ourselves.
Lwerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 11:15:24 PM
This is what I don't understand.

The last time we had this stupid honesty box, people claimed that they would "respect" someone more if they addressed an issue with individual head on instead of hiding behind the anonymity of a name-less message. This is EXACTLY what got me banned:

"Mongeese - WTF is your problem? Why are you such a d1ck to me? Seriously. I would like to know what crawled up yours and your brother's @ss and died. I can smell it from here. I've done absolutely nothing to warrant your douche bag behavior, so please STFU. For your information, no, I did not shy away from this debate for a lack of argument. In fact, I could have easily won this debate (well, aside from the fact that you and others have been vote bombing me)."

As you can see, I was BANNED for saying something crawled up your a-s-s, and a deformed version of the word d1ck. ARE YOU PHUCKING KIDDING ME? Basically I called Mongeese out for being a jerk to me. Maybe I shouldn't have used 2 curse words, but Jesus bloody Christ, people curse on this site all the damn time! It is absolutely ridiculous not only that this comment got me banned, but that Mongeese was pathetic enough to report this comment as "libel" instead of addressing my accusation. The fact of the matter is that he was/is a [word I will not say but rhymes with prick... oh wait...] and instead of respecting me, I got people ganging up on me saying I'm over-reacting for being annoyed that I lost nearly 2 years, 175 debates, etc. over this.

Ladies and gentlemen, the only thing I did wrong was use 2 profanities... and not even! They were censored profanities! Some people just USE profanities when talking. I'm one of them. Nevertheless, my point is that telling people how you really feel or calling them out on their nonsense is apparently a BAD idea. You people can't handle it. I make a comment as frivolous and this and it turns into a thread about murder, rape and psychological abuse (see thelwerd petition). Give me a break! Jesus!
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 11:40:18 PM
This is one of those few times where I agree with Volkov.

Also,

At 11/7/2009 11:15:24 PM, Lwerd wrote:
This is what I don't understand.

The last time we had this stupid honesty box, people claimed that they would "respect" someone more if they addressed an issue with individual head on instead of hiding behind the anonymity of a name-less message.

Does this ever happen? I mean, like, ever, anywhere. From my PoV, the existence of an Honesty Box is counterproductive to begin with.

If it's anonymous, it's pointless. First of all it isn't because there's an organizer, and an organizer that does such a thing would probably have an urge eventually to tell people who said what about them. Even if there wasn't, the Honesty Box would just be flame wars. It'd be worse than /b/, because on /b/ everyone is always anonymous (ignoring the really small minority of the named for the moment), and so flame wars can't particularly last that long. Flame wars only start when there is something wrong with a specific target. On /b/, it's generally by OP. In a place like DDO where people aren't always anonymous, the Honesty Box would just be full of crap continuously.

If it's not anonymous, it'll be a flagging party.

The notion that
"respect" someone more if they addressed an issue with individual head on
I believe holds true for many people. PMs and random posts certainly seem to work that way. But a centralized Honesty Box turns that into sh!t very quickly.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 12:42:56 AM
Why not have a happy honest love box... it'd like an honesty box but you only say nice things... or nothing at all.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 8:31:30 AM
At 11/8/2009 12:42:56 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Why not have a happy honest love box... it'd like an honesty box but you only say nice things... or nothing at all.