Jump to topic:

Why bother debating?

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 5:20:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Here's a video that's been around for a few months, just thought I'd share it around because I can't get the tune out of my head, and because it explains why debating is so important to me and to the world. I know I'm sort of preaching to the converted here, but it's worth watching anyway if you haven't.

Also: it's proof that the Indian Debating Union has the best practice sessions, though I presume it's usually more than just four people.

I do want to ask everybody though - do you have such lofty things in mind when you're debating? Or are you more in it for the social aspect, the kind of debater that usually goes out drinking after your debates? Or is it more the competitive aspect that gets you? Is it to explore different ideas or perspectives? Do you enjoy meeting new people, or is this just another way to kill time on the internet perhaps?

As a bit of an amateur sociologist, I'm particularly interested in whether there are any differences in people's debating motivations "online" vs "IRL", and what those might be.

Why do you bother debating?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 10:18:33 AM
The reason I debate is purely for entertainment of others at this point.... Im actually planning on starting a debate called:

"John Jameson saved all of Ireland from the Prussian Incursion of 1807"

Just for sh*ts and giggles....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 1:32:28 PM
My primary goal in debating is entertainment. It's like playing chess. Plus, I am genuinely interested in how other people think.

My secondary goal is to submit my own views to scrutiny in hopes of sharpening them or abandoning them if necessary.

My tertiary goal is to persuade the readers of my point of view. Of course that's not the case when I'm playing devil's advocate.

Although it would be nice if my opponent was persuaded, that's almost never my goal.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 3:03:20 PM
Increased knowledge and competition. The exhaustive amount of research needed to do a debate on current issues, politics, or technology is a great source of knowledge. It is a better method of learning new things than simply reading. Reading can sometimes be passive. I can never bring myself to read a full page of political/economic news. However, when I am looking for data to support my arguments, I aggressively pursue that goal, research actively, skim unnecessary parts, get to the core of what the data means and how to interpret it. This aggressive reading improves knowledge far more than passively reading things. The desire to back up your data with better sources also leads to reading more credible sources rather than casual blogs. The competitive spirit and desire to win drives the thirst for research and the accumulation of knowledge. A debate truly is an experience by itself and in most debates I've done, win or lose, I am glad I did them.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 6:01:59 PM
IRL: Mostly do it to expand my view of the world, to pit my ideas and concepts of morals and the world against others and have them fight to the death over a simple resolution. I enjoy hearing how people read and interpret philosophy, as well as how they decide to use it and what they can justify with it. I enjoy hearing all of the "out-there" ideas that are a good part of the debating community (at least where I compete), and enjoy the challenge of having to critique something I'd never heard of before that moment. It's a strenuous mental sport that has shaped who I am and, in all of it's corny might, changed my life, for better or for worse.

Online: Mostly for sh*ts and giggles, with a side of "I need to waste some time" thrown in there for fun.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
likespeace
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 8:43:12 PM
> Is it to explore different ideas or perspectives?

The key for me is learning. While I've won almost all my debates, I wager my opinions on the associated matters have changed more than those of my average opponent. I have complete respect for those who concede a well-argued debate.
likespeace
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 8:46:51 PM
I would add, I'm very competitive, but only ever with myself.

"Deep in our soul a quiet ember knows its you against you; it's the paradox that drives us on."
BigSky
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 10:19:53 PM
Call me a nerd, but I mainly do it to learn. Who wants to read MSNBC or Fox News, when you can just talk to another person about it.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 12:56:18 PM
To hear different points of view, & to make other points of view heard/understood.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 9:14:32 PM
At 3/13/2013 5:20:41 AM, larztheloser wrote:

Why do you bother debating?

Debating is one of my stronger skills.

I have a deep passion about the issues which effect our society. I am concerned with the welfare of other people and want society to be better off, through debate I can put forth my vision of a better, freer society. Being only 16, I can't do that much, but I do feel like I am making a positive difference in my community, because I have had accomplishments as well as setbacks.

But the state and gov't in general is opposed to any form of change.

It is a fun activity, I enjoy success, and I am competitive.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan