Jump to topic:

physical health vs financial health.

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 11:16:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Without physical health, financial health is almost impossible to get. All the finance in the world can't buy a man out of an incurable disease.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 11:53:17 AM
Depends on what "health" is and how much health you are referring to. I wouldn't want to be a sick billionaire or a penniless athlete but be healthy and fit and have enough money to live comfortably. Physical and financial health are not discrete entities but continuous ones and where in that level of continuity we are matters a lot as to which one we choose.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 1:15:21 PM
Clarification: physical meaning athletic, in shape, etc. Not talking about sick or diseased.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 1:17:19 PM
At 3/16/2013 11:53:17 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Depends on what "health" is and how much health you are referring to. I wouldn't want to be a sick billionaire or a penniless athlete but be healthy and fit and have enough money to live comfortably. Physical and financial health are not discrete entities but continuous ones and where in that level of continuity we are matters a lot as to which one we choose.

Agreed. My question though, is if it came down to prioritizing one higher than the other, which would you choose?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 1:58:39 PM
At 3/16/2013 1:15:21 PM, TUF wrote:
Clarification: physical meaning athletic, in shape, etc. Not talking about sick or diseased.

Then i'll take financial health... i find it more appealing to be a rich wimp then a poor guy in great shape
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 2:17:26 PM
Physical health...

If you have financial health but no physical health, all your money is going toward your physical health anyway and you most likely wouldn't be able to enjoy the things that your financial health could give you.

Strange forum choice...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 2:18:06 PM

oh, oops.

So no physical health meaning... not in shape?

I'm already that.

Money.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 2:20:24 PM

Oh, then financial health, lol.
Pixel_Brains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 2:30:15 PM
At 3/16/2013 11:06:43 AM, TUF wrote:
Just curious. Which is more important to you and why?

Financial health. I'm not very athletic to begin with so I don't think it's as important to means someone who is. Would be interesting to see what reason someone would consider physical health more important.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 2:39:25 PM
Lately financial. Time and work limitations make it hard for me to work out and eat healthy. And when you have to pinch pennies and are short on time, those McChickens and fries are a lot more appetizing that cooking your own healthy meals.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 2:40:18 PM
At 3/16/2013 2:18:06 PM, Oryus wrote:

oh, oops.

So no physical health meaning... not in shape?

I'm already that.

I'm in shape. Round is a shape.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 3:29:15 PM
At 3/16/2013 11:06:43 AM, TUF wrote:
Just curious. Which is more important to you and why?

blow jobs - b/c blow jobs are awesome.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
likespeace
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 3:34:02 PM
I'd take financial health. For under $5,000/year, you can buy into some awesome fitness programs (small-group cardio trainer + weight trainer + psychologists + nutritionist) that can turn around your physical health in a year or so. However, there's no simple path for converting physical health into financial health.

(This is given the definition provided earlier in the thread that poor physical health simply means out-of-shape, and obvious not if it entails incurable or chronic diseases like osteogenesis imperfecta.)
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 3:48:18 PM
Seems the consensus so far is financial. The reason I brought up this thread is because I wanted to give up some hours at work to start doing MMA but have been trying to weigh which one is more important.
likespeace
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 4:23:41 PM
At 3/16/2013 3:48:18 PM, TUF wrote:
Seems the consensus so far is financial. The reason I brought up this thread is because I wanted to give up some hours at work to start doing MMA but have been trying to weigh which one is more important.

150 minutes per week of moderate exercise per week is sufficient from a heatlh perspective, which amounts to only 30 minutes/day. What you are proposing sounds more like a hobby. That's fine! But do realize you're weighing a hobby vs. financial health, and not physical health vs. financial health. ;)
likespeace
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 4:35:18 PM
The P90 program is popular 30-minute in-home routine, incorporating a mix or cardio and resistance, that's well-known for helping to achieve basic fitness. And for people just starting out, there's always brisk walking or even fitness games. :)

http://www.beachbody.com...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 7:28:16 PM
At 3/16/2013 4:23:41 PM, likespeace wrote:
At 3/16/2013 3:48:18 PM, TUF wrote:

150 minutes per week of moderate exercise per week is sufficient from a heatlh perspective, which amounts to only 30 minutes/day. What you are proposing sounds more like a hobby. That's fine! But do realize you're weighing a hobby vs. financial health, and not physical health vs. financial health. ;)

I know there is a difference between an active hobby, I am just saying that's where the question came from.

I guess the idiots version of the question, would be:

Would you rather be a very constantly busy millionaire, or a broke homeless Body builder?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 7:29:38 PM
At 3/16/2013 4:35:18 PM, likespeace wrote:
The P90 program is popular 30-minute in-home routine, incorporating a mix or cardio and resistance, that's well-known for helping to achieve basic fitness. And for people just starting out, there's always brisk walking or even fitness games. :)

http://www.beachbody.com...

I've done the insanity twice, get great results every time. But I am looking more for like fight training experience lol. Working out isn't as big of a deal. I am pretty strong and in shape (thank god for the army).
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 12:48:56 AM
i have serious doubts that MMA increases physical health in the sense of increasing life-longevity. But if its what you enjoy, then go for it.

Although, I'm curious if money is important to you, then why u only have a high school education, considering that u'll get more money in the future with a bachelors or at least an associates. Ur obviously smart enough to get one.
Open borders debate:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 1:13:43 AM
At 3/17/2013 12:48:56 AM, darkkermit wrote:
i have serious doubts that MMA increases physical health in the sense of increasing life-longevity. But if its what you enjoy, then go for it.

Agreed.
:
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 5:40:21 PM
At 3/16/2013 11:45:58 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Where do you work?

Steris Isomedix
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 5:41:14 PM
At 3/17/2013 2:50:17 AM, makhdoom5 wrote:
both.
MMA is kind of animal type of thing.
but some time this you animal extinct, helps like be animals for animals.

Animals? I don't understand.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 5:45:31 PM

No, but doing MMA I can get back into pretty good shape. Plus it's my favorite sport, and doing it is way more fun than watching it on TV.

Although, I'm curious if money is important to you, then why u only have a high school education, considering that u'll get more money in the future with a bachelors or at least an associates. Ur obviously smart enough to get one.

I am young, but I have been going to school. I've only completed one semester, but have credits carried over from the schooling I recently finished at AIT. I was planning on going to college with tuition assistance (one of the main reason I joined the army), but the army cut the TA for the next semester unfortunately, so I have to wait. But ideally I would like to do both. Unfortunately I don't see that as a reasonable option, and I will have to decide at that point which route I want to go down.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 10:03:26 PM
At 3/17/2013 5:45:31 PM, TUF wrote:

No, but doing MMA I can get back into pretty good shape. Plus it's my favorite sport, and doing it is way more fun than watching it on TV.

Yes, it gives you an attractive body, but If your reference was life-longevity, then it isn't necessarily the case. People that have an overweight BMI actually live longer then people with average BMI.

I am young, but I have been going to school. I've only completed one semester, but have credits carried over from the schooling I recently finished at AIT. I was planning on going to college with tuition assistance (one of the main reason I joined the army), but the army cut the TA for the next semester unfortunately, so I have to wait. But ideally I would like to do both. Unfortunately I don't see that as a reasonable option, and I will have to decide at that point which route I want to go down.

They still give you some tuition assistance though. That kind of sucks considering that's the reason you joined. What about scholarships and loans?
Open borders debate:
makhdoom5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 1:23:28 PM
actully,
i never found it more fun.
i am MMA trainer in my region.
its dirty dangerous game.
i am suppose you use less power. as it would hurt some one so bad.
which i am not suppose to be.
this is the reason i have to fight with twise bigger than me. so that they can bear my jabs.
loll.