Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Opinion Moderation?????

Zaradi
Posts: 14,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 10:57:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So on my newsfeed I saw that imabench posted a comment to someone's opinion. Being more interested in the opinions section than I was before, I went to go look at it and he was calling (rightfully) a guy's opinion as stupid. To agree with his comment, I simply posted "^" and hit enter. To my surprise, I got this in response:

"Comment submitted for moderation"

First off, wtf needed moderation about "^"? I'm a highschooler, much less a highschool guy, so if there's anyone out there with a messed up perception of what people say, it's me. I can't possibly find anything off about that.

Second off, why do our comments need to be submitted for moderation? I suppose if someone posts something really obscene then it'd need to get mod-smited, but I've never seen nor heard of something like this before, and this isn't the first time I've commented in there. When did this become a thing and why?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 4:09:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think that any opinion that has a non alphanumeric symbol in it is submitted to moderation since people use those symbols in curse words to get around the curse filter.... Almost any comment you make that doesnt have one of those symbols will immediately be processed, but anything that does have one of those symbols has to be submitted for moderation first, I believe.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 4:15:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/18/2013 4:09:37 AM, imabench wrote:
I think that any opinion that has a non alphanumeric symbol in it is submitted to moderation since people use those symbols in curse words to get around the curse filter.... Almost any comment you make that doesnt have one of those symbols will immediately be processed, but anything that does have one of those symbols has to be submitted for moderation first, I believe.

It used to have to be 50 words long as well. I'm not good with math, but I think "^" is less than 50.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 4:20:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/18/2013 4:15:54 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 3/18/2013 4:09:37 AM, imabench wrote:
I think that any opinion that has a non alphanumeric symbol in it is submitted to moderation since people use those symbols in curse words to get around the curse filter.... Almost any comment you make that doesnt have one of those symbols will immediately be processed, but anything that does have one of those symbols has to be submitted for moderation first, I believe.

It used to have to be 50 words long as well. I'm not good with math, but I think "^" is less than 50.

an actual opinion itself has to be at least 50 words... a comment on an existing opinion though can be as short as you want it to be
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 4:43:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/18/2013 4:20:30 AM, imabench wrote:
At 3/18/2013 4:15:54 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 3/18/2013 4:09:37 AM, imabench wrote:
I think that any opinion that has a non alphanumeric symbol in it is submitted to moderation since people use those symbols in curse words to get around the curse filter.... Almost any comment you make that doesnt have one of those symbols will immediately be processed, but anything that does have one of those symbols has to be submitted for moderation first, I believe.

It used to have to be 50 words long as well. I'm not good with math, but I think "^" is less than 50.

an actual opinion itself has to be at least 50 words... a comment on an existing opinion though can be as short as you want it to be

So, I vote yes or no, and then I drop my title and a body of text and that's an opinion, right?

You can then add a comment to that?

Is that new? (I've honestly not seen it before, but I've not been over there since the change to the fancy, new layout, so that may be part of the issue).
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 7:59:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/18/2013 4:43:10 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 3/18/2013 4:20:30 AM, imabench wrote:
At 3/18/2013 4:15:54 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 3/18/2013 4:09:37 AM, imabench wrote:
I think that any opinion that has a non alphanumeric symbol in it is submitted to moderation since people use those symbols in curse words to get around the curse filter.... Almost any comment you make that doesnt have one of those symbols will immediately be processed, but anything that does have one of those symbols has to be submitted for moderation first, I believe.

It used to have to be 50 words long as well. I'm not good with math, but I think "^" is less than 50.

an actual opinion itself has to be at least 50 words... a comment on an existing opinion though can be as short as you want it to be

So, I vote yes or no, and then I drop my title and a body of text and that's an opinion, right?

Yep

You can then add a comment to that?

Yep

Is that new? (I've honestly not seen it before, but I've not been over there since the change to the fancy, new layout, so that may be part of the issue).

Yeah it's rather new
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015