Total Posts:43|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Are the "funny debates" here too common?

drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 12:19:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I think that we are getting a few too many of them. Sure, a lot of them are worthwhile, and most were at least funny the first time, and there's plenty of new material (like the "Con Will Wn This Debate" one that's going on now), but I think it might be time to do something about it, considering how you practically see a "Yo Mama Debate" every page. Overused jokes get old and aren't funny anymore after a while.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 3:09:11 PM
This is your opinion. Clearly some people disagree, or there wouldn't be so many.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 3:15:21 PM
At 3/19/2013 2:46:59 PM, PurpleDrink wrote:
Just don't click on those ones.

PURPLE DRANKKKKK

http://www.theunticket.com...
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 4:15:49 PM
The point is that they are beginning to spam the place up. I'm asking for someone to consider adding a new category for it, so that it never becomes a real problem for people looking for serious debates. This is mainly in response to a recent uptick in these types of debates, as can be seen here:
http://www.debate.org...

In the past month, there have been 7 debates of this type. 29 of the 45 search results were actual debates of this type. Therefore, samples of the past month alone represent 25% of all debates of this type, all in one month. It is reasonable to assume that this may eventually grow to the extent that it actually makes it hard to find serious debates. There is some reason for concern, and adding a new category for these debates would not be an unreasonable response.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 5:36:31 PM
At 3/19/2013 4:19:49 PM, Smithereens wrote:

what a sad way to spend your very first post.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 5:48:33 PM
At 3/18/2013 12:19:29 PM, drhead wrote:
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I think that we are getting a few too many of them. Sure, a lot of them are worthwhile, and most were at least funny the first time, and there's plenty of new material (like the "Con Will Wn This Debate" one that's going on now), but I think it might be time to do something about it, considering how you practically see a "Yo Mama Debate" every page. Overused jokes get old and aren't funny anymore after a while.

People have many different reasons for being on this site. I don't think one is necessarily better than another.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 6:35:19 PM
At 3/19/2013 5:48:33 PM, YYW wrote:

People have many different reasons for being on this site. I don't think one is necessarily better than another.

Really? What about your rant about the "four types of DDO users" on my uncensored flame thread against inferno?

Of course, that was before you underwent your prefrontal lobotomy, correct?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:10:56 PM
At 3/19/2013 5:48:33 PM, YYW wrote:

...no. If you want to keep up the quality of a site, you have to monitor what kind of material people are posting on it. A "I don't care what people spam on here" attitude will repel new members who could potentially contribute a lot of valuable input to the site, and attract those who wouldn't.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:16:41 PM

Those debates are funny?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Yraelz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:25:10 PM
I don't think a 'funny' debate topic necessitates that the debate is bad or even lacking education. I'll cite one of my own debates as an example: http://www.debate.org...

Although the topic had little bearing on the real world, the debating, especially from my opponent, was quite on spot. From the perspective of a newcomer to this cite, I'm willing to bet that a great deal about definitional and creative debate could be gleamed via reading this 'funny' debate.

Plus, in my experience many of those debates are pretty easy wins. So accept them and win. At the very least you'll demonstrate to new users how to buffer their win/loss ratio. =)
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:27:37 PM
At 3/19/2013 5:36:31 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/19/2013 4:19:49 PM, Smithereens wrote:

what a sad way to spend your very first post.

Its ur opinion gaiz, with a name like purpledrink, i dont think ur opinion on how sad it is will matter as much.

@Oryus- You rock, get on witcha bad self home-girlll

@Airmax- YOOOOOO HOMIEEEE
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:29:49 PM
@Both- you both should get on Xbox Live so we can all talk, and stuff, and idk, have deep convos? Either way, ir isolatory behaviors is getting me annoyed and hurt... I care for joo both, and to be excluded makes me feel not only unnpareciated but unimportant, and insignificant

JUST SAYIN
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:32:19 PM
At 3/19/2013 8:25:10 PM, Yraelz wrote:
I don't think a 'funny' debate topic necessitates that the debate is bad or even lacking education. I'll cite one of my own debates as an example: http://www.debate.org...

Although the topic had little bearing on the real world, the debating, especially from my opponent, was quite on spot. From the perspective of a newcomer to this cite, I'm willing to bet that a great deal about definitional and creative debate could be gleamed via reading this 'funny' debate.

Plus, in my experience many of those debates are pretty easy wins. So accept them and win. At the very least you'll demonstrate to new users how to buffer their win/loss ratio. =)

no one said that these debates are inherently bad. The problem is their frequency.

For anyone who cares about this website and its future, it should be somewhat disconcerting to see an array of yo mama and "funny" debates filling the homepage. Also consider the fact that all that quickly produced garbage outs the other weeks-long research intensive debates that actually required work from the front page - so that isn't fair.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:33:14 PM
At 3/19/2013 8:29:49 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
@Both- you both should get on Xbox Live so we can all talk, and stuff, and idk, have deep convos? Either way, ir isolatory behaviors is getting me annoyed and hurt... I care for joo both, and to be excluded makes me feel not only unnpareciated but unimportant, and insignificant

JUST SAYIN

sorry man... just been pretty busy with stuff like 'funny debates' and such... but we should def. hang out soon... the 3 of us (and whoever wants to join) should play minecraft or whatever...
Debate.org Moderator
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:35:23 PM
At 3/19/2013 8:33:14 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

JUST SAYIN

sorry man... just been pretty busy with stuff like 'funny debates' and such... but we should def. hang out soon... the 3 of us (and whoever wants to join) should play minecraft or whatever...

Dude I KNO RITE!?! Like u are a good friend in my opinion, and Oryus by extension, and by the brief convos would be too, I'd love and sincerely appreciate the chance to catch up with you both brah
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:36:03 PM

JUST SAYIN

Yeah, what he said. On friday, eh? I'd be down. We can play that drinking game.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:37:47 PM
At 3/19/2013 8:36:03 PM, Oryus wrote:

JUST SAYIN

The drinking game might not be the best idea, y'all wpuld give after the first couple hours, and I'd be sittin there like, "wut? Ur still not sober? WWEAKSAUCEEE!"
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:39:36 PM
At 3/19/2013 8:37:47 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

JUST SAYIN

The drinking game might not be the best idea, y'all wpuld give after the first couple hours, and I'd be sittin there like, "wut? Ur still not sober? WWEAKSAUCEEE!"

haha well, I assume we'll (you and I, at least) be drinking anyway.
:
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:41:59 PM
At 3/19/2013 8:39:36 PM, Oryus wrote:

JUST SAYIN

and the same point still doesnt stand how?

RAWRRRRRR
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:43:31 PM
At 3/19/2013 8:41:59 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

JUST SAYIN

RAWRRRRRR

lol

So I take it this is a "yes", you do wanna kick it this friday? :P
:
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:45:53 PM
At 3/19/2013 8:43:31 PM, Oryus wrote:

JUST SAYIN

RAWRRRRRR

lol

Since he is bringing the beer.. yes, yes he does.
Debate.org Moderator
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:48:20 PM
At 3/19/2013 8:45:53 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 3/19/2013 8:43:31 PM, Oryus wrote:

JUST SAYIN

RAWRRRRRR

lol

Since he is bringing the beer.. yes, yes he does.

Well, not exactly beer, more like Vodka, and idk how id bring it for Y'all, so get ready foo's!!'
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:49:34 PM

JUST SAYIN

You said you'd let us know when you had free time, and that was around 3 weeks ago...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:54:01 PM
BV MADDEN NAOW... LETS DO THIS SH!TTY

Nac

Omg the women in supernatural give me a chubby
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:54:09 PM
At 3/19/2013 8:49:34 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

JUST SAYIN

You said you'd let us know when you had free time, and that was around 3 weeks ago...

In the past 3 weeks I still haven't had much free time... exploiting 3rd world countries for profit and such is time consuming... but I should have some time this weekend...
Debate.org Moderator
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:58:38 PM

JUST SAYIN

The 3 weeks supply of uninterrupted, unadulterated awesome that you get in a jar for free when you order me online from Russia recently expired. :(
:
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:59:38 PM
At 3/19/2013 8:54:09 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

JUST SAYIN

In the past 3 weeks I still haven't had much free time... exploiting 3rd world countries for profit and such is time consuming... but I should have some time this weekend...

Exploiting third-world countries? Thats it? And here I thought you were spending your time trying to convince Kim Jong Un to actually fire the missile. I'm so disappointed.

But the weekend sounds good.