Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

I'm back.

Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 6:44:23 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Well, of course you have all noticed I recently got banned. Well, after a couple e-mails with Webmaster (Phil), I got my account reactivated. I want to thank Phil for allowing me back on and I want to thank everyone who said nice things about me in the "Hmm" thread, I appreciate it. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

=)
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 6:47:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
What did you talk about in the e-mails?

How did you get into contact with Phil so quickly?

Did you have to apologize to Phil in the end?

Did you talk about anything outside of your banned account, for example the future of DDO?

Etc.

Let the people know!
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 6:53:21 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
It's so funny how PoeJoe treats exchanging e-mails with Phil like a revelation from God. :)

Anyway, glad to have you back!
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 6:57:33 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/10/2009 6:53:21 PM, mongeese wrote:
It's so funny how PoeJoe treats exchanging e-mails with Phil like a revelation from God. :)

It's so funny how mongeese treats the Lwerd and the DDO community like...

Anyway, glad to have you back!

Same here.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 7:17:06 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
"I find it sad that you don't understand how tragically illogical and stupid your argument was."

That was it?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 7:18:00 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/10/2009 7:17:06 PM, mongoose wrote:
"I find it sad that you don't understand how tragically illogical and stupid your argument was."

That was it?

Mhm...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 7:24:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/10/2009 7:17:06 PM, mongoose wrote:
"I find it sad that you don't understand how tragically illogical and stupid your argument was."

That was it?

Wow. How did that violate ToS? That's standard debate dialogue. Pretty soon there won't be any debate because the act of disagreeing will be prohibited.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 7:28:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
If you got banned for that, I'm in so much trouble...

Welcome back, Nags. Glad Phil re-instated you.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 8:44:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Nags called the argument "illogical and stupid." Technically, that is within the bounds of debate etiquette. You cannot insult your opponent, but you can insult the arguments. That's a technicality. In any case, I'm glad Nags is back and hope Lwerd gets fully restored.

I don't defend abusive language by anyone, but closing accounts is too severe. I think a better solution would be along the lines of a one week suspension for each incident, and maybe loss of their current debate for repeat offenders. I think the message would soon get out, and people would get their tempers under control. Well, most of the time.

The reason civility is important is that abuse makes personalities the focus of the debate, rather than the facts and logic that ought to be the focus.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 10:49:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
"If you were to delete every member who has insulted, then you would have to delete every member on this website."

You know, it's really interesting you say that, Nags, because I'm pretty sure I heard that from someone else the other day... hmm. Who could it have been?! Oh, right. So glad you see things my way now that YOUR account was banned too. Looks like I wasn't the only one who noticed your d**k* comments, eh? Either way congrats on getting your account back.
President of DDO
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 6:15:12 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Oh geez these TOS rules are like comunism. I am lucky I haven't been banned yet...
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 6:50:57 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Glad people got their accounts back.

It seems that most of these bannings have occured as a result of comments posted on actual debates rather than just in the forums.

I could be wrong but a different standard seems to apply.
MistahKurtz
Posts: 400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 7:34:12 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/11/2009 6:15:12 AM, philosphical wrote:
Oh geez these TOS rules are like comunism. I am lucky I haven't been banned yet...

*twitch* Communism is an economic...

Nevermind.

I personally believe that there's nothing wrong with profanities. If Phil's worried about personal attacks, then why not say 'no personal attacks.'

I keep myself clean on these forums, but sometimes you just need to say 'fudge it.'
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 8:08:12 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/11/2009 7:34:12 AM, MistahKurtz wrote:

*twitch* Communism is an economic...


Nevermind.


I personally believe that there's nothing wrong with profanities. If Phil's worried about personal attacks, then why not say 'no personal attacks.'

I keep myself clean on these forums, but sometimes you just need to say 'fudge it.'

LOL! I agree with you.
President of DDO
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 5:35:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/11/2009 4:45:32 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I think Phil should ditch the automated system.

Wait, what proof have we that Phil is using an automated system?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 5:43:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/11/2009 5:35:07 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 11/11/2009 4:45:32 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I think Phil should ditch the automated system.

Wait, what proof have we that Phil is using an automated system?

L-M received an e-mail warning him that his account might get banned for reporting his own accidental double-post.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 6:04:25 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/11/2009 5:43:17 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 11/11/2009 5:35:07 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 11/11/2009 4:45:32 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I think Phil should ditch the automated system.

Wait, what proof have we that Phil is using an automated system?

L-M received an e-mail warning him that his account might get banned for reporting his own accidental double-post.

Right, but I still think Phil has to approve which reported comments are indeed harmful.

I'm assuming DDO's system is similar to Newground's system: a comment with an elevated number of reports is sent to a mod who decides whether said comment is indeed malicious. This would fall in line with some of Phil's descriptions of for-sale websites on the WebCorp website; often he would write, "requires only X minutes a day to maintain."
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 8:14:29 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm pretty sure that if someone reports your comment, regardless of what it is, you get an e-mail saying that your comment is being removed and a warning. When Phil signs in and sees who has been warned and for what, he makes the decision to take action (remove accounts or whatever). That would explain why the original e-mail I received said that it was a warning, but later on my account was closed. I hav only had 2 comments reported; Nags and others have had 3+ so I think Phil makes a decision on a case by case basis.
President of DDO