Jump to topic:

Suggestion: Vote currency

jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 1:22:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Almost everyone on DDO thinks that there is a lack of voting and a surplus of 0-0 ties.
I suggest that we add a vote currency: voting on debates increases it. If you have a debate you want people to vote on, you use the vote currency to advertise it on a new rss feed box added to dashboards called "vote ads".

Let's say that to users: unable_to_speak and macrospew, finished a debate and macrospew had 1 vote currency.

He can use the 1 vote currency to make a link for the debate appear in the new rss feed area called "vote ads". Everyone can see it now.

It will say: "macrospew wants you to vote on the debate: Evolution is true 10 minutes ago.", on the rss feed box.

This will encourage voting and reduce 0-0 ties.
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 1:23:28 PM
At 3/25/2013 1:22:24 PM, jh1234l wrote:
Almost everyone on DDO thinks that there is a lack of voting and a surplus of 0-0 ties.
I suggest that we add a vote currency: voting on debates increases it. If you have a debate you want people to vote on, you use the vote currency to advertise it on a new rss feed box added to dashboards called "vote ads".

Let's say that to users: unable_to_speak and macrospew, finished a debate and macrospew had 1 vote currency.

He can use the 1 vote currency to make a link for the debate appear in the new rss feed area called "vote ads". Everyone can see it now.

It will say something like: "macrospew wants you to vote on the debate: "Evolution is true", 10 minutes ago.", in the rss feed box.

This will encourage voting and reduce 0-0 ties.

fixed.
My political compass:
Magicr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 1:32:21 PM
But, as it has been pointed out in other threads dealing with this problem of a lack of voting, if people are rewarded just for voting, this will likely result in people just voting more on easy votes such as forfeits.

I do think it is an interesting idea, however, and worthy of some consideration. Perhaps it would be practical if this idea were to be integrated with the idea of being able to "thumbs up" other people's votes. In this case, there would be a certain number of thumbs ups on a vote that one must gain in order to get the vote currency. This would mean that just voting on forfeits and provding poor RFDs would not be incentivized and wanting to write good RFDs would be incentivized.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 1:39:54 PM
The problem I have with this solution is that it doesn't address the actual problem: voters don't care to vote enough.

Advertising debates that need votes isn't a problem: the site has thread after thread after thread dedicated to advertising debates in need of votes, and people still create more threads for that purpose anyway.

The problem is that voters have no incentive to actually go out there and vote, which has nothing to do with how well it's being advertised.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 8:17:33 PM
At 3/25/2013 1:39:54 PM, Zaradi wrote:
The problem I have with this solution is that it doesn't address the actual problem: voters don't care to vote enough.

Advertising debates that need votes isn't a problem: the site has thread after thread after thread dedicated to advertising debates in need of votes, and people still create more threads for that purpose anyway.

The problem is that voters have no incentive to actually go out there and vote, which has nothing to do with how well it's being advertised.

However, this will make it so that the ads appear in a RSS feed that is seen in the dashboard- right when you log in. Not everyone who can vote reads the thread, though.
My political compass:
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 8:20:44 PM
At 3/25/2013 1:32:21 PM, Magicr wrote:
But, as it has been pointed out in other threads dealing with this problem of a lack of voting, if people are rewarded just for voting, this will likely result in people just voting more on easy votes such as forfeits.

I do think it is an interesting idea, however, and worthy of some consideration. Perhaps it would be practical if this idea were to be integrated with the idea of being able to "thumbs up" other people's votes. In this case, there would be a certain number of thumbs ups on a vote that one must gain in order to get the vote currency. This would mean that just voting on forfeits and provding poor RFDs would not be incentivized and wanting to write good RFDs would be incentivized.

I like your idea. A way to figure out how much currency to give according to the quality of it will be nice. Maybe we can use a 1-5 scale instead of a thumbs up? E.g: 1= -1 currency, 2=0 currency, 3= 1 currency, 4= 2 currency, 5= 3 currency, etc.
My political compass:
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 8:28:42 PM
At 3/25/2013 8:20:44 PM, jh1234l wrote:
At 3/25/2013 1:32:21 PM, Magicr wrote:

I like your idea. A way to figure out how much currency to give according to the quality of it will be nice. Maybe we can use a 1-5 scale instead of a thumbs up? E.g: 1= -1 currency, 2=0 currency, 3= 1 currency, 4= 2 currency, 5= 3 currency, etc.

Or, they can instead add a feature where you can report people who abuse the vote currency. Anyone who is reported gets their currency reduced if they only vote on easy debates, and gets a ban if they post rubbish RFD's to votebomb but still get currency.
My political compass:
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 8:38:51 PM
Also, here is a related suggestion:

How I think juggle should implement it, in my opinion:

1. the votes have to be thumbed up in order to gain vote currency, to prevent abuse.
2. You know how ads disappear when you login? When implemented, if you log in these will be replaced with non intrusive, text based ads. To remove them, simply use your vote currency to remove them. (you can gain vote currency just by voting!)

Non logged in users: Banner ads
logged in but haven't used your vote currency gained through voting: text based ads.
logged in and used vote currency to remove ads: no ads

(Or, you can use vote currency to buy virtual stuff, because the users probably won't approve the ads idea. Basically the idea is to make it possible to spend vote currency you can gain just by voting.)
My political compass:
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 11:09:26 PM
At 3/25/2013 8:17:33 PM, jh1234l wrote:

However, this will make it so that the ads appear in a RSS feed that is seen in the dashboard- right when you log in. Not everyone who can vote reads the thread, though.

99% of them don't vote anyway. I don't see why we should cater to a small audience that won't do as much.

Moreover, just shoving it in front of our faces won't make people motivated to go vote for it. I already ignore my news feed more often than not, especially now that it's getting spammed by the opinions section crap. Another news feed just for debates just adds to the clutter.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
medv4380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 11:20:52 AM
I could be wrong, but I think a the surplus of 0-0 ties is more a result of a lack of novel or interesting debates. Why should I waist me time reading and voting in a debate about morality when both sides are using tired arguments? If it was a new take on an old subject or a new subject then that has my interest. It might that I'm just too new to the site since I can't vote yet, but that's the way I see it.
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 2:33:36 PM
At 3/25/2013 11:09:26 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/25/2013 8:17:33 PM, jh1234l wrote:

99% of them don't vote anyway. I don't see why we should cater to a small audience that won't do as much.

Moreover, just shoving it in front of our faces won't make people motivated to go vote for it. I already ignore my news feed more often than not, especially now that it's getting spammed by the opinions section crap. Another news feed just for debates just adds to the clutter.

It will be a separate news feed box, not crammed in the Account Notifications box.
My political compass: