Jump to topic:

Hello, I am new...

TheQuestioner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 6:03:05 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Hello, I am TheQuestioner, I am a Student and I love debating others, but most importantly asking questions. I am currently working on a Science Paper for school and I need some data, I was wondering if you could please vote on my poll. This poll is a poll about different affects to one's vote. Here she blows: http://www.misterpoll.com...
I wish I can meet many of you and learn much from your individual wisdom and knowledge. Thank you all for this opportunity.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 6:12:54 PM
Hi.

What if I'm under 18? What would my answer be for the first question? Does my opinion just no longer matter? I know I can't officially vote, but I wish I could.
TheQuestioner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 6:25:51 PM
mongeese wrote:
Hi.

What if I'm under 18? What would my answer be for the first question? Does my opinion just no longer matter? I know I can't officially vote, but I wish I could.

Yah, You can just say your 18, I really need the votes, hehe, tell older folks you know too. I really need some votes, thanks man.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 6:38:13 PM
"Poll is now closed."
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
dogparktom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 12:00:45 PM
At 11/12/2009 6:25:51 PM, TheQuestioner wrote:
mongeese wrote:
Hi.

Yah, You can just say your 18, I really need the votes, hehe, tell older folks you know too. I really need some votes, thanks man.

You are new and you apparently have no problem with lies, with advising someone else to "just say your 18". You apparently don't care about your credibility.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 12:47:56 AM
At 11/15/2009 12:00:45 PM, dogparktom wrote:
At 11/12/2009 6:25:51 PM, TheQuestioner wrote:
mongeese wrote:
Hi.

You are new and you apparently have no problem with lies, with advising someone else to "just say your 18". You apparently don't care about your credibility.

If he wants to invalidate his own poll, so be it. It's not like it's at any high level of professional standard to begin with.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 5:42:03 PM
At 11/21/2009 5:40:35 PM, Wolfman wrote:
Wzup guys. I'm new to this website and was wondering what it's all about.

If you're wondering what debate.org is, maybe you need to try sleeping a little more.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Wolfman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 5:44:57 PM
At 11/21/2009 5:42:03 PM, wjmelements wrote:

If you're wondering what debate.org is, maybe you need to try sleeping a little more.

Well I knew it was about debate! But what I mean is:
How does this ranking system work?
How do I make my own debate?
Can everyone vote on debates, or just certain "judges"?
What are the people like on this website?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 5:51:55 PM
At 11/21/2009 5:44:57 PM, Wolfman wrote:
At 11/21/2009 5:42:03 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Well I knew it was about debate!
I had hoped so.
But what I mean is:
How does this ranking system work?
Debates won. Ranking isn't too important though.
How do I make my own debate?
The down next to "Debates" at the top can be clicked. In bold blue letters it says "Start a New Debate"
Can everyone vote on debates, or just certain "judges"?
Anyone can vote, but you must confirm with your cell phone number.
Emo's and Philosophy majors. And formal debaters. And people that like politics.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 6:08:54 PM
Emo's and Philosophy majors. And formal debaters. And people that like politics.

Emo? No - more of a prep.
Philosophy? No - mathematics, business, law.
Formal? No - never had anything associated with debating at all.
Politics? No - not so much. I enjoy parts of politics that interest me, but as a whole, political discussions at places like school and at home get highly offensive and crude. (One (used to be conservative but still prefers conservatives over liberals) Republican vs. Democrats and liberals)
resolutionsmasher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 6:32:17 PM
Woo hoo for the minority!!!
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
resolutionsmasher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 6:34:33 PM
woo hoo for the minority
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 6:51:09 PM
At 11/21/2009 6:12:15 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/21/2009 6:10:18 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Don't make such hasty generalizations ;)

If the exceptions are in the minority, the generalization is justified. :)

That reminds me of fascism... ;)

The individual is nothing; the state is everything, right Cody? :;;;))))

(Just joking)
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 7:36:33 PM
At 11/21/2009 6:51:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

(Just joking)

The individual can suck it, good sir. :)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 7:55:44 PM
At 11/21/2009 7:36:33 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

(Just joking)

Well, the physics of a collective sucking it are kind of off. At best you can have maybe 2 or 3 lick it, but sucking it is strictly a 1-at-a-time deal. So yes-- individuals, unlike collectives, get to partake of blowjobs ;).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 8:07:12 PM

Yes, the individual certainly can suck "it." The state can't really suck "it," but the state can certainly just "suck."
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 8:21:40 PM
At 11/21/2009 7:55:44 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 11/21/2009 7:36:33 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

(Just joking)

Well, the physics of a collective sucking it are kind of off. At best you can have maybe 2 or 3 lick it, but sucking it is strictly a 1-at-a-time deal. So yes-- individuals, unlike collectives, get to partake of blowjobs ;).

If I didn't already have a better quote from you, I would sig this.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 8:27:28 PM
I'm very curious, Cody:

1) To what extent to you support Hitler's actions in regards to totalitarianism and dictatorship?

2) What are your personal opinions regarding FDR's New Deal programs?

3) What do you like/dislike about Reagenomics?

4) Do you support Richard Nixon, first as a president and second as a politician?

5) If you were president, how, why, where, and when would you extend U.S. government into the domestic economy and world affairs?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 8:51:46 PM
At 11/21/2009 8:27:28 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I'm very curious, Cody:

1) To what extent to you support Hitler's actions in regards to totalitarianism and dictatorship?

I don't think that dictatorship is an inherently bad thing. Ideally, I would have a council of people who ruled, though, not a single person. That generally prevents a lone idiot from being head of state. I don't necessarily support the Holocaust, though. Hitler was only acting on his unwarranted personal prejudices. But, pre-Holocaust, he was arguably one of the greatest statesmen of all time, and a fantastic military strategist.

2) What are your personal opinions regarding FDR's New Deal programs?

They were too late, in the case of the American economy. I think, under a fully-functioning economy, such programs would be fantastic. They were well-intentioned, I'm sure, but weren't effective enough on their own; it took WWII to fully bring us out of the depression; in the same way, Hitler's rearming of Germany caused the economy to skyrocket, giving way to programs like Strength Through Joy, for example [http://en.wikipedia.org...] (a great program, I might add).

3) What do you like/dislike about Reagenomics [sic]?

I'll just talk about some of the things here [http://en.wikipedia.org...], for reference.

1. I would say that it's better to cut down on foreign spending, not domestic. Look at the case of the U.S. and China, for example; clearly, we've run into massive problems by trading excessively with them, because we not only import billions of dollars' worth of products from them, but we also borrow billions of dollars from them. If they ever call in their loans, we're probably going to be screwed.

2. I don't always agree with reducing taxes, either. That's not to say I advocate raising them, but different situations call for different responses. Flexibility is key in regards to taxes. Whatever the country in question needs, I suppose.

3. Within the boundaries of America, I think that a healthy return to capitalism is somewhat necessary, but it shouldn't be unrestrained; for yet another example, America in the 1930s and 40s converted a large number of factories into plants which produced war materials via government commission. I think that regulations are necessary for the safety of products, and to make sure that greed doesn't undermine the ability of consumers to buy products, considering that such a situation in turn undermines the ability of companies to make a profit.

4. Reducing inflation is definitely a good idea, and controlling currency (the production and flow thereof) is a good way to keep the supply in check. As we saw with Weimar Germany, printing money en masse clearly damages economies by forcing inflation up, and unnecessarily devaluing currency.

4) Do you support Richard Nixon, first as a president and second as a politician?

Nixon was an interesting man. I think he was an idiot as far as Watergate is concerned (in assuming that the biggest public figure in the United States wouldn't get caught for doing something objectionable), but I think that he was very unfortunate in inheriting the Vietnam War, as that put him in a bit of a bind. Regardless, he did what he could with what he had. It's hard to judge when I can't be sure that I would have done a better job.

5) If you were president, how, why, where, and when would you extend U.S. government into the domestic economy and world affairs?

That's a hell of a lot of questions, and all of them are very broad. I honestly don't think that I could give you a straight answer, because again, different situations mandate different responses. It would depend on the condition of the United States at the time, my experiences in politics up to that point, and the potential reactions of other nations - honestly, there are just too many variables for me to answer those quesions.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 9:01:45 PM
Lol, your response to question 5 was very presidential-like ;)

Surprisingly, I agreed with you on many of your points. Maybe I'm just becoming more fascist ;)

I would also like to ask you in regards to WWII, which is what I am currently studying in school. I blame the US and the Treaty of Versailles for the ultimate cause of WWII, and really don't see anything wrong with what the dictators did originally. I am curious as to your take on the essential spark of WWII (don't give me Japan's invasion of China or Hitler's invasion of Poland), how justified and "correct" the dictators were in respects to their pacts (i.e. Nazi-Soviet pact), and the cause of American stupidity in isolationisth policies?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 9:15:59 PM
At 11/21/2009 9:01:45 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Lol, your response to question 5 was very presidential-like ;)

Well, the question itself was pretty near impossible to answer. :P

Surprisingly, I agreed with you on many of your points. Maybe I'm just becoming more fascist ;)

Welcome to ABearica.

I would also like to ask you in regards to WWII, which is what I am currently studying in school. I blame the US and the Treaty of Versailles for the ultimate cause of WWII, and really don't see anything wrong with what the dictators did originally. I am curious as to your take on the essential spark of WWII (don't give me Japan's invasion of China or Hitler's invasion of Poland), how justified and "correct" the dictators were in respects to their pacts (i.e. Nazi-Soviet pact), and the cause of American stupidity in isolationisth policies?

Well, WWII doesn't have a single cause. It's a combination of things. Yes, it was the Versailles Treaty. Yes, it was western nations. Yes, it was the invasions (which were, in a way, caused by the western policy of appeasement, at least concerning Germany). Yes, it was the formation of the Axis. Yes, it was the effect of militaristic imperialism. There were a number of different factors which contributed to WWII. Eventually, I believe that the invasion of Poland was the point-of-no-return, where the Allied Powers finally said "Okay, look, enough is enough".

I personally think that the Nazi-Soviet pact, to use your example, was a very prudent measure. I think that conflict between Hitler and Stalin was inevitable, and that nonaggression pact was merely a "buffer" of sorts, until Hitler had his other battles all sorted out. The fatal mistake was attacking early, especially knowing the inevitability of the infamous Russian Winter - this not only instilled hope in the Allies, by shattering the illusion of an invincible German war machine, but it opened up a second front for Germany, something that Hitler had pledged to avoid (as he noticed how big of a problem it had been during the First World War). So, the pacts were a good idea, but one was broken too early, and the other was a bit useless, as the pact between the Axis powers was never really used to the fullest extent; the Allied Powers fought together, but the Axis powers were simply taken out one by one, as they tended to fight more independently.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 9:21:09 PM
And when Hitler invaded Russia, Stalin received help from America and Britian. Hitler grew much too greedy. He should have planned out his August attack on Britian in a more efficient manner (although it was supposedly a test run for an attack the following month). If Hitler successfully captured Britain in 1940, he could have captured Russia in 1941. He could then move down to China, ruin Japan's forces, and take over Heiriheto's army. His last invasion would be in Italy/Ethiopia, and he would thus only have to attack America to win world domination. I believe that the Battle of Britian was key in stopping Hitler's forces.