Jump to topic:

Does a forfeited round Constitute ...?

qopel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 10:02:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Does a forfeited round Constitute a forfeited debate?

I see many great debates on here that get voted with "FF" just because a round was forfeited. Why?

If you lose a battle, it doesn't mean you can't win the war. It seems that when a voter sees the word "forfeit" anywhere, they don't bother to read the debate and feel justified to just vote "ff" across he board.

I think that's lazy and ridiculous.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 10:06:09 PM
For me, If someone forfeits one of the early rounds, they lose the conduct point, but they can still win the debate. Forfeiting the last round means your opponent's last arguments have all been dropped with no opportunity for you to pick them up later, so you lose. If you forfeit every round, you lose.

That's how I see it anyway.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 10:50:33 PM
At 3/31/2013 10:06:09 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
For me, If someone forfeits one of the early rounds, they lose the conduct point, but they can still win the debate.

I agree with this.

Forfeiting the last round means your opponent's last arguments have all been dropped with no opportunity for you to pick them up later, so you lose.

There is no reason to think that. You are essentially saying whoever has the last word should win so Con should always win normal debates by that logic because Con's arguments in the last round were not countered by Pro. I think that we should view the arguments in a forfeited debate without regard to whether a round was forfeited. For instance, if a debater forfeits one of their three rounds, then measure their two real rounds against their opponents 3 rounds. So, they already have a tough task. Add in another point to their opponent for the forfeit. Now you can see why forfeiters don't win very often. I do agree with Qopel though that it is annoying when people see one forfeited round, throw in one point and not vote on arguments at all. If they want to evaluate conduct only, I guess that is their perogative but it takes away the weight of voters who actually put in effort to judge the debate. There was a debate I saw where I thought the forfeiter won but I didn't bother voting after seeing vote-spam from a bunch of others who voted against the forfeiter such that he was already over 10 points behind making my potential vote irrelevant.

If you forfeit every round, you lose.

Agree with this as well.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 11:06:36 PM
At 3/31/2013 10:50:33 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 3/31/2013 10:06:09 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
For me, If someone forfeits one of the early rounds, they lose the conduct point, but they can still win the debate.

I agree with this.

Forfeiting the last round means your opponent's last arguments have all been dropped with no opportunity for you to pick them up later, so you lose.

There is no reason to think that. You are essentially saying whoever has the last word should win so Con should always win normal debates by that logic because Con's arguments in the last round were not countered by Pro. I think that we should view the arguments in a forfeited debate without regard to whether a round was forfeited. For instance, if a debater forfeits one of their three rounds, then measure their two real rounds against their opponents 3 rounds. So, they already have a tough task. Add in another point to their opponent for the forfeit. Now you can see why forfeiters don't win very often. I do agree with Qopel though that it is annoying when people see one forfeited round, throw in one point and not vote on arguments at all. If they want to evaluate conduct only, I guess that is their perogative but it takes away the weight of voters who actually put in effort to judge the debate. There was a debate I saw where I thought the forfeiter won but I didn't bother voting after seeing vote-spam from a bunch of others who voted against the forfeiter such that he was already over 10 points behind making my potential vote irrelevant.

Well, there's a difference between not having the last word due to the structure of a debate and simply dropping your opponent's final arguments. For starters, the contender can't make new arguments in his last round because the instigator won't have a chance to respond, but if you're the contender and you ff your last round, it means you had the opportunity to respond but didn't, hence the arguments were dropped.

If you forfeit every round, you lose.

Agree with this as well.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 11:12:05 PM
At 3/31/2013 10:02:36 PM, qopel wrote:
Does a forfeited round Constitute a forfeited debate?

I see many great debates on here that get voted with "FF" just because a round was forfeited. Why?

If you lose a battle, it doesn't mean you can't win the war. It seems that when a voter sees the word "forfeit" anywhere, they don't bother to read the debate and feel justified to just vote "ff" across he board.

I think that's lazy and ridiculous.

I think forfeiting all rounds should loose you the debate, but forfeiting one round should not. I am very much in the minority with this opinion.
Tsar of DDO