Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Some Noobs

1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 7:51:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Noobs are always easy pickings for more veteran users such as myself and most of the people who use the forums. What usually happens is that:

1. A noob is shocked at my refutations in round 1 and then leaves the website to never come back.
2. A noob looks at my round 1 refutations and them complains about them for the rest of debate, loses, and then is so shocked of his loss that h never comes back.

However, in one unique case on a book debate, the user it took on accepted the debate, posted his round 1 argument, and never returned after that. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

In another case, one person who was likely looking at my homosexual debate, simply joined the website just to comment on it and never returned. Has anyone experienced this?
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
THEVIRUS
Posts: 1,321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 7:57:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I was a noob... once.
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 8:30:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/3/2013 7:57:51 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:
I was a noob... once.

Everyone starts as a noob. The ifference between us and other noobs is that we don't rage quit DDO in rage.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 8:31:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I wish more people would watch koopin's new user video that he created. He touches on this.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 9:27:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'ma a nub D: Although, I'm a better noob then other noobs. >_> I'm having trouble finding someone of my own skill level. People on here are either extremely smart, college level thinkers or people that are just... really bad debaters

And yes, I have lower ELO ranking users quit on me often. I think it's a intimidation thing. They get overwhelmed at how deeply analyzed our response is when they expect a 3 sentence answer. In result, they get so overwhelmed they simply forfeit. Almost out of embarrassment.
Nolite Timere
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 9:33:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think the best way to combat this is have new users debate other new users at least for a while so they can start to understand how DDO works. The first thing I did after joining DDO was look up at the leaderboard and challenge Danielle (the then top debater). Fortunately she declined, I think I would have been overwhelmed for a first debate. Instead I debated other fairly new users some of whom forfeited and didn't show up. My first real debate was with Thett3 which I lost but felt it was competitive and we argued for 3 straight rounds and there was tons of info and sources to argue about. That's how I got into debating. I then debated a bunch of other new members in the new members tournament and slowly got into debating and stopped debating noobs altogether.

I think a good way to solve this is:
- Experienced members stop taking noob debates.
- Set up new members tournaments and send invites. This helps in retention.
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 12:05:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/3/2013 7:51:37 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
However, in one unique case on a book debate, the user it took on accepted the debate, posted his round 1 argument, and never returned after that. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Yep. That stuff happens all the time. I once had a newb PM me because he got way in over his head with the amount of debates he took on and didn't know what to do... Not sure why he asked me, but there are some things that the world may never know.
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 12:38:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/4/2013 12:05:30 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 4/3/2013 7:51:37 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
However, in one unique case on a book debate, the user it took on accepted the debate, posted his round 1 argument, and never returned after that. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Yep. That stuff happens all the time. I once had a newb PM me because he got way in over his head with the amount of debates he took on and didn't know what to do... Not sure why he asked me, but there are some things that the world may never know.


497 1/2

And if we're getting dirty... 107 and three quarters plus some... uhhhh... Yeah
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 1:11:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Here's another, I literally think this guy just joined the site to comment in my Vietnam War debate.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
medv4380
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 3:12:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Have you considered that they could just be lurkers, and you finally did something that made them want to comment. They could still be lurking the sight, and just never log in.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 4:24:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/3/2013 11:20:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I was never a noob. I was born a veteran.

Consider yourself lucky.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 5:48:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/4/2013 4:24:49 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/3/2013 11:20:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I was never a noob. I was born a veteran.

Consider yourself lucky.

Oh I do.
THEVIRUS
Posts: 1,321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 5:54:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If any noob reads this, I will do a video game debate with anyone... as long as I disagree with them. Hit me up if you would debate me on Master Chief>All of CoD BO II (I would be pro). I actually have someone I am going to debate with on this, but I can do it twice :)
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men