Jump to topic:

we've got trouble right here on DDO

philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 2:10:02 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Ever since "the girl who just recently was banned" and "The one who prefers a giant hand as his avatar" have stopped fighting, There has been essentially nothing to do here on DDO.
One could almost say this site is getting boring. Mafia games are getting repetitive.
Most newly started debates are argued in the same boring styles, with the same boring topics.
Not as many members are getting on. Chat is becoming dull.
Forum games are limited.
DDO chat isn't used anymore.
We are in trouble of becoming superbly boring!
Some one, save us from this desperate trouble we now find ourselves in!
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 2:15:24 PM
DDO's level of excitement comes and goes, and I don't think this era of dullness any different from the one that occurred just before the incident with Lwerd and Mongeese.
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 2:17:43 PM
*blatantly ignores the one who first commented on this thread*

(Sigh)
If only DDO had a pool table...
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 2:20:57 PM
At 11/15/2009 2:17:43 PM, philosphical wrote:

I think you mean purposely. Blatantly means obvious and offensive.

(Sigh)

? ? ?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 2:21:10 PM
At 11/15/2009 2:15:24 PM, Volkov wrote:
DDO's level of excitement comes and goes, and I don't think this era of dullness any different from the one that occurred just before the incident with Lwerd and Mongeese.

I disagree. I think (1) people are becoming overly PC to the point where it's stifling their opinions, (2) there is unnecessary hostility with people just making useless posts just for the sake of being bitter and nasty, (3) the current mafia game sucks and Ragnar won't start up the new one leading to a lot of bored frustration, (4) due to people's overt rudeness, a lot of apathy is occurring regarding DDO in general -- I know that I have personally lost a lot of respect for most people here, an honestly a lot of fondness for DDO in general (5) Random newcomers keep showing up with the SAME. FUGGIN. DEBATE CHALLENGES (what they're debating in real life) -- they usually post a round or 2 and then disappear for good once they get the arguments they need, etc.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 2:22:53 PM
At 11/15/2009 2:15:51 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Note my activity in recent days has dropped

I did notice actually.
President of DDO
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 2:23:30 PM
At 11/15/2009 2:21:10 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I disagree. I think (1) people are becoming overly PC to the point where it's stifling their opinions, (2) there is unnecessary hostility with people just making useless posts just for the sake of being bitter and nasty, (3) the current mafia game sucks and Ragnar won't start up the new one leading to a lot of bored frustration, (4) due to people's overt rudeness, a lot of apathy is occurring regarding DDO in general -- I know that I have personally lost a lot of respect for most people here, an honestly a lot of fondness for DDO in general (5) Random newcomers keep showing up with the SAME. FUGGIN. DEBATE CHALLENGES (what they're debating in real life) -- they usually post a round or 2 and then disappear for good once they get the arguments they need, etc.

True, though (5) occurred before, and (1) and (4) seem pretty contradictory. I don't even agree with (1), because I haven't seen any signs of political correctness, ever.

Otherwise, I agree.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 2:24:52 PM
IF you expect DDO to meet all of your needs, just give up. DDO is for discussion, debate, and (woot) mafia. If you're tired of it, then you can go elsewhere, but this meets some of my needs. Just don't do it all of the time.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 2:25:41 PM
Actually, on the contrary, if you notice forums which are normally dead such as Sports, Science, Education and News, have picked up in activity.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 2:25:54 PM
At 11/15/2009 2:24:52 PM, wjmelements wrote:
IF you expect DDO to meet all of your needs, just give up. DDO is for discussion, debate, and (woot) mafia. If you're tired of it, then you can go elsewhere, but this meets some of my needs. Just don't do it all of the time.

Werd.
President of DDO
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 2:41:48 PM
At 11/15/2009 2:25:54 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Werd.

I know but i used to get a whole lot of enjoyment upon visiting this site. I could always expect a good debate either in the forums, or in a real debate. Now everything has become gray, and i dunno, dull.

There is about five or six active forums now. Most of them have died, and decayed.

We need to formulate some new thing, to spike up everyones interest again!
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 4:41:40 PM
At 11/15/2009 2:20:57 PM, Nags wrote:
At 11/15/2009 2:17:43 PM, philosphical wrote:

I think you mean purposely. Blatantly means obvious and offensive.

(Sigh)

? ? ?

Watch the video I posted, and you'll understand
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 4:47:05 PM
At 11/15/2009 2:41:48 PM, philosphical wrote:
I know but i used to get a whole lot of enjoyment upon visiting this site. I could always expect a good debate either in the forums, or in a real debate. Now everything has become gray, and i dunno, dull.

There is about five or six active forums now. Most of them have died, and decayed.

Patience, Philo. This happens about the same times every year. Folks are busy with school, &ct. DDO goes in cycles of activity.

At the very least, I can say this is true for me. I am real busy right now and haven't been around as much recently.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 4:48:23 PM
At 11/15/2009 2:41:48 PM, philosphical wrote:
At 11/15/2009 2:25:54 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Werd.

I kinda agree with you on this, it's been something I've been thinking for a while now. It's still my favourite website and I do still enjoy coming here, but it's starting to feel a bit stale. I honestly can't put my finger on why, though.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 5:02:32 PM
I kinda agree with you on this, it's been something I've been thinking for a while now. It's still my favourite website and I do still enjoy coming here, but it's starting to feel a bit stale. I honestly can't put my finger on why, though.

That's how I feel as well almost exactly.

Again; Too bad DDO aint got no pool table
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 5:28:36 PM
At 11/16/2009 4:48:23 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
I honestly can't put my finger on why, though.

I think it has a lot to do with controversy or, rather, the lack thereof. This site used to be full of it--hacked accounts, hacked e-mails, vote bombing, multi-accouters, grand disputes--but has since decrecendoed into minor things, like Lwerd being banned and then getting her account back just a few days later.

You know this personally, Hal, what with your drunk rampage that one eventful night.

In some ways, I think we have just lost hope in DDO. We all know Phil will make no updates to the site--especially now that the site makes him approximately $0 a day--and we know we are a dying tribe. Many regulars--such as s0m31john, Logical-Master, beem0r, and Kleptin--are simply leaving.

When this site goes down, we'll all be sad. But we'll know it doesn't really matter. Perhaps that's the saddest thing of all.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 5:47:16 PM
At 11/16/2009 5:28:36 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 11/16/2009 4:48:23 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
I honestly can't put my finger on why, though.

I think it has a lot to do with controversy or, rather, the lack thereof. This site used to be full of it--hacked accounts, hacked e-mails, vote bombing, multi-accouters, grand disputes--but has since decrecendoed into minor things, like Lwerd being banned and then getting her account back just a few days later.

You know this personally, Hal, what with your drunk rampage that one eventful night.

In some ways, I think we have just lost hope in DDO. We all know Phil will make no updates to the site--especially now that the site makes him approximately $0 a day--and we know we are a dying tribe. Many regulars--such as s0m31john, Logical-Master, beem0r, and Kleptin--are simply leaving.

When this site goes down, we'll all be sad. But we'll know it doesn't really matter. Perhaps that's the saddest thing of all.

Weren't you the one whining that there was too much drama on DDO, and thus, decided to leave XD?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 5:51:09 PM
At 11/16/2009 5:47:16 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Weren't you the one whining that there was too much drama on DDO, and thus, decided to leave XD?

Moderation is key, young grasshopper.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 7:32:59 PM
At 11/16/2009 5:51:09 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 11/16/2009 5:47:16 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Moderation is key, young grasshopper.

I feel the same, although I don't think it's the "lack of drama" that's causing people to become disinterested. I for one didn't give two hoots about being vote bombed, and quite honestly I think I was on a DDO hiatus when that whole joshandr31 (was that his name?) thing was really happening so my votes were for the most part back before I really realized any wrong-doing on a large scale lol. I mean wasn't there some kind of Conservative NWO? Or something?

Anyway I hardly paid any attention to that or DATCMOTO, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some overall negativity is kind of taking away from the once-flourishing community. High tension = nastiness = insults instead of fun debating, even in the forums. I've personally become more apathetic. Like Lee, I can't put my finger on why exactly though. Oh wellz. It's not a big deal lol people will come around. Like JBlake said, this happens sometimes.
President of DDO
ToastOfDestiny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 7:37:57 PM
I'd attribute a large portion of it to DAT and GodSands leaving. They filled a niche that nobody else has yet. Thus the Religion forum has been reduced to Mizra's rants.
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 7:38:38 PM
At 11/16/2009 7:32:59 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Like Lee, I can't put my finger on why exactly though. Oh wellz. It's not a big deal lol people will come around. Like JBlake said, this happens sometimes.

In which case I revert to my second statement: that we no longer have hope in the progress of DDO, that we no longer have hope for future development, that we no longer have faith in Phil.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 7:39:10 PM
At 11/16/2009 7:37:57 PM, ToastOfDestiny wrote:
I'd attribute a large portion of it to DAT and GodSands leaving. They filled a niche that nobody else has yet. Thus the Religion forum has been reduced to Mizra's rants.

GodSands is alive and well, preaching as usual. I don't miss DATCMOTO at all.

What you're saying is that you'd like to have ignorant people around just to cause controversy.

I think intelligent people provide far more useful and entertaining controversy.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 7:41:46 PM
At 11/16/2009 7:38:38 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 11/16/2009 7:32:59 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Like Lee, I can't put my finger on why exactly though. Oh wellz. It's not a big deal lol people will come around. Like JBlake said, this happens sometimes.

In which case I revert to my second statement: that we no longer have hope in the progress of DDO, that we no longer have hope for future development, that we no longer have faith in Phil.

Eh, maybe. It's a mixture of things. By Phil updating the site and adding new stuff, old friends will inevitably come back. It might also entice new people to show up, like what they see and stay. But, Phil isn't looking to put any work into the site as it doesn't make him much money. Perhaps some investment will do him a little good in the end. If he doesn't have the inclination, though, then oh well. It's up to us to stick it out; recent turns of events through or rather shift in attitude have just made it sort of... eh.
President of DDO
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2009 8:15:57 AM
I am sorry, but can someone relate to me the DATCMO story to me?

Before I was in-active for a few months, he was an active member on this site. I was wondering what happened to him
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2009 10:44:03 AM
At 11/17/2009 8:15:57 AM, philosphical wrote:
I am sorry, but can someone relate to me the DATCMO story to me?

Before I was in-active for a few months, he was an active member on this site. I was wondering what happened to him

He left, and I'm glad he did. He turned everything to a debate about God, and some say he spammed the forums with his incessant God quotes and refusal to engage in a meaningful and thought provoking conversation about religion.
President of DDO
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2009 7:45:49 PM
He left, and I'm glad he did. He turned everything to a debate about God, and some say he spammed the forums with his incessant God quotes and refusal to engage in a meaningful and thought provoking conversation about religion.

wow he didn't seem all that religous to me before. Maybe it was just a phase?
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2009 7:47:45 PM
At 11/17/2009 7:45:49 PM, philosphical wrote:

wow he didn't seem all that religous to me before. Maybe it was just a phase?

Really man? You must be thinking of someone else. DATCMOTO spoke of little else but religion.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5