Jump to topic:

Romance novel yes's and no's?

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 11:55:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm begun writing my own romance novel (attempting) quite a while ago (almost a week ago) and I was just wondering about some of the things that would be good and wouldn't be good.

I've searched up some guides on writing a quality romance novel and it says it should have the following expectations:

"A sympathetic heroine
"A strong, irresistible hero
"Emotional tension
"An interesting, believable plot
"A happy ending

Didn't know this, but it makes sense I'm just following these expectations for my novel.

Right now I've just been spending all the time "writing" was me writing up heaps of notes, and some of the research and the ideas I want my novel to have.

I have a few queries:

- Would adding in a bit of fantasy be alright? Or would that generally lower the quality of the novel? I was having ideas that maybe the irresistible hero have a touch of magical powers. (With a lot of limitations to what he is capable of doing).

- Should I set the story of the main character (the main character is the female) starting as in high school/university student/ university graduate? As in which setting would be the best or most appropriate.

Please give me some of your opinions if you have read a lot of or enjoy reading romance novels! I"d like to have as much help as possible for this one.
Pl0x

If anyone wants to know how the main relationship develops, just lemme know. Just don"t think that"s necessary to outline right now.

Please gimee some of your thoughts behind all this kind of stuff.
Thx!
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 12:14:50 AM
At 4/5/2013 11:55:13 PM, famer wrote:
I'm begun writing my own romance novel (attempting) quite a while ago (almost a week ago) and I was just wondering about some of the things that would be good and wouldn't be good.

I've searched up some guides on writing a quality romance novel and it says it should have the following expectations:

"A sympathetic heroine
"Emotional tension
"A happy ending

Didn't know this, but it makes sense I'm just following these expectations for my novel.

Right now I've just been spending all the time "writing" was me writing up heaps of notes, and some of the research and the ideas I want my novel to have.

I have a few queries:

- Would adding in a bit of fantasy be alright? Or would that generally lower the quality of the novel? I was having ideas that maybe the irresistible hero have a touch of magical powers. (With a lot of limitations to what he is capable of doing).

Its not a deal killer and some fantasy love stories seem to be accepted pretty well (Harry Potter + Ginny Weasley). Just dont go crazy with the level of fantasy otherwise it just becomes absurd and unreadable

- Should I set the story of the main character (the main character is the female) starting as in high school/university student/ university graduate? As in which setting would be the best or most appropriate.

People like it when characters make flaws, and high school is the place where most flaws are made and can be related to by people, Id start there.

Please give me some of your opinions if you have read a lot of or enjoy reading romance novels! I"d like to have as much help as possible for this one.
Pl0x

Please for the love of God just no more sparkly vampires. Society does NOT need any more of those

If anyone wants to know how the main relationship develops, just lemme know. Just don"t think that"s necessary to outline right now.

Thx!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 12:24:59 AM
Why do you want to write romance novels specifically?

Also, "believable" only refers to emotionally. You can have a romance novel involving space ships going faster than the speed of light and as long as people believe the characters would really hook up, it will be "believable."
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 12:50:52 AM

"A sympathetic heroine
"Emotional tension
"A happy ending

I have a few queries:

Fantasy is fine... no vampires.

Depends... HS could be a much larger reader total, but things get sketchy if you try to write any sex scenes for a HS student...

I am not saying you need to have a sex scene, but I know some authors make a point to include one in each book *cough*James Patterson*cough*

Pl0x

I think a war torn heroine would be cool. Ya kno, like she falls in love while at home and gets shipped out, and she struggles to survive so she can see him again...

Thx!
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 2:59:18 AM
good luck, such genres are definitely not easy to pull off compared to most. If you manage to capture the emotions and empathy of the readers then you have done a good job. I'd like to see how you go, but I'm not in the informed position to give you any helpful advice.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 3:00:32 AM
First off - this thread should be under entertainment.

In general it's the same as for other novels. Interesting characters, well-written dialog, great pacing, and most importantly, loads of tension everywhere.

"A sympathetic heroine
"Emotional tension
"A happy ending

I disagree with all of these except "An interesting, believable plot". "Emotional tension" is not required but it's probably the most relevant form of tension so it's the easiest. You could do social tension but it's harder (think Romeo and Juliet). Happy ending is a matter of personal taste. I prefer them but there are good romance stories with unhappy endings (think Romeo and Juliet). The hero/heroine roles can be easily reversed. I've always wanted to read a romance about a pair of total losers who fall for each other's uselessness and quirkiness.

Good. You're on the right track.

I have a few queries:

I'd say it's OK. Setting should not define genre. It could lower the quality only if it affects believably or tension (ie using it as a deus ex machina).

That setting would be acceptable. I do hope this isn't a Twilight fanfic though.

Pl0x

Any help you need, hit me up!
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 10:24:04 AM
I think every other comment just got blown out of the water O_o
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 9:36:03 PM
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestion. I like the idea of setting the story from high school as imabench says

"high school is the place where most flaws are made and can be related to by people"

Just so everyone knows, I have never read the Twillight series, meaning this is not a fanfic of that novel. Mine is a fan-fic of my favourite singer (hue hue hue, guess who?)

LOL. I have never considered the idea, and never will implement any sex scenes for my novel. Haha, i'm just not that type of person tbh... :p

Hmmm... In relation to THEVIRUS's idea of a war-torn heroine, I think that'll be taking the "everybody get's war-torn" for my story. I'll briefly outline why.

G = Girl
B = Boy

G has an incident where she stands on the road (need to figure out a good way, perhaps not paying attention or something), and then B runs in to push her off the road as a car is approaching.

G ends up being saved from a car crash. B however ends up in hospital, almost dead from the car crash. She remembers this, and instantly falls in love because of his bravery.

Soo... the irresistible hero has already been somewhat war-torn. That's why I think a war-torn heroine will be a bit ishy~~
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 5:04:05 AM

"A sympathetic heroine
"Emotional tension
"A happy ending

I have a few queries:

Pl0x

Thx!

Don't follow anyone else's guidelines or expectations. Write the story that would be your favorite as a reader, not a story you think will be the favorite of some hypothetical readers.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 1:59:48 PM
- Would adding in a bit of fantasy be alright?

Sure.

Or would that generally lower the quality of the novel?

It's a romance novel.

I was having ideas that maybe the irresistible hero have a touch of magical powers. (With a lot of limitations to what he is capable of doing).

Sounds good.

- Should I set the story of the main character (the main character is the female) starting as in high school/university student/ university graduate?

Only if you want.

Write what you want.