Jump to topic:

Subutai's Environment Debate Tournament

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 8:34:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hello everyone. Debating been kind of slow lately, so I thought I'd do my part by creating a tournament (kudos to imabench and the Weekly Stupid)

Anyway, here is how this tournament will work:

- Topics must be about the environment or policies regarding it (i.e. global warming, the KXL Pipeline, Kyoto, and so on).
- Pairing will be based on ELO scores. The highest ELO debater will be paired with the lowest ELO debater, so on.

Please follow these debate guidelines:

- Four rounds.
- 8000 max characters (sources may be posted in an outside link)
- 72 hours per argument
- 1 week debating period (may be done longer, but results will only be chosen at the end of the week)

The tournament willl be single-elimination, eight debaters, and three rounds. I will vote on all debates (hopefully). Please only sign up if you seriously intend to debate and have the time. If you aren't sure, you can sign up as a replacement.

Irregularities:

- I will not be a part of this tournament unless we can not get an 8th debater. Also, if a debater drops out, either I, or a volunteer (preferably the latter) will take his or her place.
- If there is a last-minute votebomb that changes the outcome of the debate, the one who would have won, or "deserved" the win will advance, and the one who won because of the vote-bomber will be eliminated.
- If there are an excessive amount of vote-bombs on a debate or a Internet/Computer/DDO failure (please be honest, people; no lying about computer problems becuase you can't present an argument), a three-round debate will be put in its place.
- If the two assigned to debate cannot find a topic, please have one side play devil's advocate.

If there are any other questions, please mention so in this thread.

Sign-up by posting so and I will arrange you by your ELO.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 9:07:55 PM
I don't have much research-based knowledge on environmental topics, but I would like to watch every debate that happens for this tournament.

Spectators:
1. famer

Please help keep me updated for this tournament. It'll be interesting for me to watch the debates.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 9:08:50 PM
At 4/6/2013 8:34:47 PM, Subutai wrote:
Hello everyone. Debating been kind of slow lately, so I thought I'd do my part by creating a tournament (kudos to imabench and the Weekly Stupid)

- Topics must be about the environment or policies regarding it (i.e. global warming, the KXL Pipeline, Kyoto, and so on).
- Pairing will be based on ELO scores. The highest ELO debater will be paired with the lowest ELO debater, so on.

- Four rounds.
- 72 hours per argument
- 1 week debating period (may be done longer, but results will only be chosen at the end of the week)

The tournament willl be single-elimination, eight debaters, and three rounds. I will vote on all debates (hopefully). Please only sign up if you seriously intend to debate and have the time. If you aren't sure, you can sign up as a replacement.

Irregularities:

- I will not be a part of this tournament unless we can not get an 8th debater. Also, if a debater drops out, either I, or a volunteer (preferably the latter) will take his or her place.
- If there is a last-minute votebomb that changes the outcome of the debate, the one who would have won, or "deserved" the win will advance, and the one who won because of the vote-bomber will be eliminated.
- If there are an excessive amount of vote-bombs on a debate or a Internet/Computer/DDO failure (please be honest, people; no lying about computer problems becuase you can't present an argument), a three-round debate will be put in its place.
- If the two assigned to debate cannot find a topic, please have one side play devil's advocate.

Lol, did you borrow this idea from my story-writing debates?

Just wondering as it seems like very similar wording that I used.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 9:09:49 PM
At 4/6/2013 9:08:50 PM, famer wrote:

- Four rounds.
- 72 hours per argument

Irregularities:

Yeah. I was looking at your tournament for a basis behind mine. Hope you don't mind.:D
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 9:19:22 PM
1. Lannan13

Will a debate about factory farms count?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 9:20:10 PM
At 4/6/2013 9:19:22 PM, lannan13 wrote:
1. Lannan13

Will a debate about factory farms count?

Yes.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 9:20:37 PM
Sign-ups:

1. Lannan13 - 1699
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 10:55:25 PM
At 4/6/2013 9:09:49 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 4/6/2013 9:08:50 PM, famer wrote:

- Four rounds.
- 72 hours per argument

Irregularities:

Yeah. I was looking at your tournament for a basis behind mine. Hope you don't mind.:D

Lol, it's ok. I was just curious :)

Can you keep me updated with all these debates though?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 12:03:16 AM
Sign me up ;D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 1:16:57 PM
1. imabench - 4142
2. Lannan13 - 1699
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 8:11:04 PM
At 4/7/2013 1:16:57 PM, Subutai wrote:
1. 16k - 4753
2. imabench - 4142
3. Lannan13 - 1699
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 8:53:32 PM
At 4/7/2013 4:40:58 PM, AStevenson wrote:
I wish I could do this, but I'm in a debate with DoubtingDave.

I'll put you on the replacements list and contact you if someone drops out.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 10:02:12 PM

Dude, I'm in 3 debates get over it. You can do it.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Controverter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 1:01:49 AM
At 4/8/2013 10:02:12 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Dude, I'm in 3 debates get over it. You can do it.

COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!
Women have an unfair advantage over men: If they can"t get what they want by being smart, they can get it by being dumb.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 7:29:54 AM
1. 16k - 4753
2. imabench - 4142
3. Kingdebator-
4. Lannan13 - 1699

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 8:39:48 PM
Bump.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 9:03:31 PM
At 4/11/2013 8:39:48 PM, Subutai wrote:
Bump.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 9:50:59 PM
Y U NO INTERESTED
seriously
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2013 12:53:31 PM
At 4/10/2013 7:55:39 AM, KingDebater wrote:
At 4/10/2013 7:29:54 AM, lannan13 wrote:
1. 16k - 4753
2. imabench - 4142
3. Kingdebater- 2323
4. Lannan13 - 1704

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 6:21:23 PM
At 4/14/2013 12:53:31 PM, lannan13 wrote:
1. 16k - 4753
2. imabench - 4142
3. DanT - 3021
4. Kingdebater- 2323
5. Lannan13 - 1704
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 8:01:29 PM
At 4/16/2013 6:21:23 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/14/2013 12:53:31 PM, lannan13 wrote:
1. 16k - 4753
2. imabench - 4142
3. DanT - 3021
4. Kingdebater- 2323
5. Lannan13 - 1704

I'll join up.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 8:03:46 PM
Sign-ups:

1. 16kadams - 4757
2. imabench - 4144
3. DanT - 3021
4. Citrakayah - 2621
5. KingDebater- 2212
6. lannan13 - 1706
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 8:19:16 PM
I would join, but I can't at the moment because of some other things going on, and I would be trounced on environmental debates.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 8:21:51 PM
At 4/16/2013 8:19:16 PM, Contra wrote:
I would join, but I can't at the moment because of some other things going on, and I would be trounced on environmental debates.

Darn