Jump to topic:

Regarding "My Opponent Will Win This Debate"

Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2013 1:39:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've sometimes seen debates like that, and I always wonder, wouldn't the best argument to give the instigator argument points and the other person everything else? Thus ensuring the paradox was avoided while being perfectly truthful.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2013 2:32:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The paradox and outcome is irrelevant. What's relevant is whether one sides provides better argumentation than the other. The instigators burden is to prove that his opponent will win the debate and the contenders burden is to negate it. I don't see why people think it matters whether giving one side the points makes the other side right. Predictions are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the content of the debate. If I argued that Romney would win the election and then someone voted against me because he didn't, that would be poor voting, even though I was wrong. So all that matters is whether the individual sides in the debate accomplished their burden. There burden takes place inside the debate, not out of it. I personally could easily give con argument points without worrying that con's position was against him winning the debate, because all that matters is whether pro fulfilled proved the resolution. So I'm merely giving con the points due to pros insufficient argumentation and/or pro's superior argumentation. My vote isn't based upon a prediction of the future.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)