Jump to topic:

Debate dilemma

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2009 5:36:16 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Is it rude of me to decline a person's challenge on the grounds that it would be an unfair match? Especially if the person is most likely a double account? The account was created half an hour ago and has already joined a debate and challenged me to a debate.

http://www.debate.org...

I don't want to do anything rude or pompous, but I'm sure people can see why I want to refuse this debate.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2009 5:39:39 PM
At 11/18/2009 5:36:16 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Is it rude of me to decline a person's challenge on the grounds that it would be an unfair match? Especially if the person is most likely a double account? The account was created half an hour ago and has already joined a debate and challenged me to a debate.

I don't want to do anything rude or pompous, but I'm sure people can see why I want to refuse this debate.

Why would you refuse it? Take it and if it's an easy win and he sucks, that's on him, lol.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2009 5:44:05 PM
At 11/18/2009 5:36:16 PM, Kleptin wrote:

It's not rude to decline it, no, and if you're short on time or really don't wish to debate at this time, then go for your life. Otherwise, it appears to be a pretty easy win, so why would you not accept?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2009 5:49:42 PM
Haha Kleptin I took that same debate! You only have 5 minutes to post around. So far I've posted 2 and he forfetied the last round; he'll probably forfeit again.
President of DDO
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2009 5:56:40 PM
I really want to stop the habit of taking debates that will likely end in forfeits. I'm serious. I think over 1/3 of all my wins are due to my opponent forfeiting.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2009 5:58:55 PM
At 11/18/2009 5:56:40 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I really want to stop the habit of taking debates that will likely end in forfeits. I'm serious. I think over 1/3 of all my wins are due to my opponent forfeiting.

Same! I spend a lot of time on arguments sometimes and it pisses me off when my opponent's don't bother trying to compete. I'm currently in a debate about colonial America that I think will end that way - grr. I mostly took the debate because I thought the guy was kind of a d-bag for only allowing for FIVE minutes to post an argument. I wanted to prove that I was up for the challenge, so :P

Plus he was kind of a tool and so I gave my $.02 regarding the whole atheist quote thing.
President of DDO
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2009 10:56:44 PM
Hm, seems like people are noticing that a good portion of their debates are forfeits, and one has even refused to accept a debate on the grounds of likely forfeit.

Too bad someone didn't mention this problem awhile ago, ask for some suggestions, and then get told that it wasn't an issue.

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 10:49:12 AM
At 11/18/2009 10:56:44 PM, Volkov wrote:
Hm, seems like people are noticing that a good portion of their debates are forfeits, and one has even refused to accept a debate on the grounds of likely forfeit.

Too bad someone didn't mention this problem awhile ago, ask for some suggestions, and then get told that it wasn't an issue.

I know, phhffft, must be Canadian eh?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 10:59:05 AM
I've declined debates for less, and this looks shady at best. Personally, now that Lwerd has proven what sort of stuff this opponent is made of, I would decline. :)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 12:02:21 PM
At 11/19/2009 11:59:02 AM, JBlake wrote:
Agreed. If you don't get any benefit out of the debate, why bother?

Again, I took it as more of a challenge to see if HE would be able to post in 5 minutes (I was confident of my ability). I thought it was kind of a douchey move to only allow 5 minutes for arguments, so I took him up to see if he could subscribe to his own standards. He failed :)
President of DDO
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 12:02:45 PM

At least your opponent forfeits instead of responding to your debate in a way that is completely irrelevant to the subject you are debating.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 12:05:20 PM
At 11/19/2009 12:02:21 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 11/19/2009 11:59:02 AM, JBlake wrote:
Agreed. If you don't get any benefit out of the debate, why bother?

Again, I took it as more of a challenge to see if HE would be able to post in 5 minutes (I was confident of my ability). I thought it was kind of a douchey move to only allow 5 minutes for arguments, so I took him up to see if he could subscribe to his own standards. He failed :)

You actually got a lot written in five minutes. I was impressed.
Neumax
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 7:52:46 PM
At 11/19/2009 10:49:12 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

What's THAT supposed to mean? :P Nobody I know actually says "eh?". Lol.
A true optimist would think that the glass is half awesome.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 9:55:31 PM
At 11/19/2009 12:02:45 PM, johngriswald wrote:

At least your opponent forfeits instead of responding to your debate in a way that is completely irrelevant to the subject you are debating.

Haha yeah I saw that.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 10:03:56 PM
At 11/19/2009 7:52:46 PM, Neumax wrote:
At 11/19/2009 10:49:12 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

What's THAT supposed to mean? :P Nobody I know actually says "eh?". Lol.

I do, all the time. Then again I don't know you ...eh. :D