Jump to topic:

Voting System?

vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 10:24:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The voting system hasn't changed much since my inactivity.
If anything, there continues to be a lack of good voting, in my opinion, as debates keep on coming in. I think the problem is that there is no incentive to vote on a debate.

While some find debates interesting, the long and tedious ones are sometimes ignored or common debates (between people who are not widely known by the community) are forgotten / neglected.

Perhaps some new system could be introduced that rewards active voting. The best incentive that I could think of was mainly customization, such as a colored name apart from the standard blue or an emblem/decoration.

Another harsher one would be to force people to vote on a certain number of debates, although that easily would encourage quick/thoughtless votes. (I'm sure someone can improve on this)
*Maybe a prerequisite for a debate would be a vote on another

Or, DDO can introduce some new ranking system apart from ELO/Debating that tracks your votes. The problem I see with this is how we would judge the goodness of a vote.

We really need a method that encourages active voting on the site. Spam messages like "vote on my debates pl0xxx" are annoying.

Ideas?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 10:26:17 PM
I personally think we should limit the size of debates to a max of 4 rounds and a max of 6000 characters. Nothing turns away voters faster then their little scroll button shrinking to the size of a period and it helps debaters stick to the point....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 10:34:24 PM
At 4/18/2013 10:26:17 PM, imabench wrote:
I personally think we should limit the size of debates to a max of 4 rounds and a max of 6000 characters. Nothing turns away voters faster then their little scroll button shrinking to the size of a period and it helps debaters stick to the point....

In my short time of doing policy debate, I've found the indepthness and just the pure amount of content + evidence brings a lot more understanding and requires a large amount of knowledge about the topic. At the same time, the amount of people doing policy is decreasing, mostly scared off by spreading. many of my fellow policy debaters that i've met seem very desensitized (everything leads to nuclear war). However there still are many loyal policy debaters.
Although many times, I've taken one look at a long debate and said fvck no.
I don't think that any limit should be imposed apart from the current ones. Longer debates are always more interesting to read and require more thinking still imo.
Valladarex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 4:45:06 AM
Yeah I'm new to the site and I have a debate I hope someone will vote on. It's been more than a day, still no response.

Maybe there should be a section under debates, which have all the debates that are up for voting? Hopefully this would allow for ease in finding those debates so they don't just end up as ties.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 4:52:42 AM
At 4/21/2013 4:45:06 AM, Valladarex wrote:
Yeah I'm new to the site and I have a debate I hope someone will vote on. It's been more than a day, still no response.

Maybe there should be a section under debates, which have all the debates that are up for voting? Hopefully this would allow for ease in finding those debates so they don't just end up as ties.

Post your debate to this thread:

http://www.debate.org...
Debate.org Moderator