Jump to topic:

Debate Layout

Neumax
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 8:00:50 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Hey everyone. I'm new to this site and new to debating, as well as the style and layout of a debate. Could someone please educate me quickly? I would like to start debating ASAP. :)
A true optimist would think that the glass is half awesome.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 8:04:23 PM
Layout isn't particularly important. Just show why the resolution (topic) is true or false. Viewing a few debates will clarify the method of doing this.

The 'Cookbook' should help.
http://ddofans.com...

And you don't have to bolden everything you say.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Neumax
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 8:08:45 PM
At 11/19/2009 8:04:23 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Layout isn't particularly important. Just show why the resolution (topic) is true or false. Viewing a few debates will clarify the method of doing this.

And you don't have to bolden everything you say.

Thanks. :) I'm just very intrigued by the format of the debates that I've read through and they seem to all have a central layout to them. :S Anyway, I'll bookmark that link for later, I have to get back to my essay. Lol.

Also, I know; sorry. On other forums that I post on, everyone bolds so I do it just to fit in, but seeing as it's not really necessary on this forum, I'll desist.
A true optimist would think that the glass is half awesome.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 8:53:36 PM

And you don't have to bolden everything you *type*.

Oh yeah, wjm, I'm learning a lot about Hitler and WWII in school and outside of school right now. I blame the US and the Treaty of Versailles for essentially causing WWII, but still feel that his actions were unjustified. I agree that his actions certainly were justifiable, but I do not agree with them.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 9:12:58 PM
At 11/19/2009 8:53:36 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Oh yeah, wjm, I'm learning a lot about Hitler and WWII in school and outside of school right now. I blame the US and the Treaty of Versailles for essentially causing WWII, but still feel that his actions were unjustified. I agree that his actions certainly were justifiable, but I do not agree with them.

Wait how did hitler sneak in here?
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 9:14:53 PM

Once you understand all of his premises, you can see why he took the positions that he did.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 9:17:15 PM
At 11/19/2009 9:14:53 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Once you understand all of his premises, you can see why he took the positions that he did.

It is rare in one's lifetime that you get to see a chat between what appears to be Hitler apologists. Mind you, I guess I could just go to Stormfront if I was that interested.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 9:19:37 PM
Still don't understand how Hitler randomly got in here, am I missing something?
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 9:33:09 PM
wjm and I heavily disagree on Hitler's mental state and the actions that he attempted. I blame the United States for Hitler's rise to totalitarianism than even Hitler himself, so...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 9:36:56 PM
At 11/19/2009 9:33:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
wjm and I heavily disagree on Hitler's mental state and the actions that he attempted. I blame the United States for Hitler's rise to totalitarianism than even Hitler himself, so...

You blame the United States for causing Hitler to become a totalitarian. Mhm.

I can see how the US caused the situation to arise for Hitler to exert his political beliefs, but not as the cause for them. That is like saying Tsar Nicholas was an a-hole because England won a war.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 10:07:46 PM
I still don't understand how this came up in a topic about debate layout?

ddofans.com
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 10:17:42 PM
At 11/19/2009 10:07:46 PM, johngriswald wrote:

Welcome to DDO.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 3:27:18 AM
At 11/19/2009 10:07:46 PM, johngriswald wrote:

You question too much...

Why does it really matter? Just because Hitler wasn't being discussed doesn't mean I'm prohibited from typing about him.