Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

I Can't Post Pictures On Debates

Subutai
Posts: 3,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 8:25:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
No, this isn't what you think it is. I've posted 100+ pictures on debates over the months I've been a member of this site. However, since about two weeks ago, I cannot post pictures.

Yes, I do follow all the rules - save to a DDO photo album, rich text, copy the picture, public albums, etc... I follow the same process I have that had been working for over a year.

Let me describe my problem: I click copy to a picture and paste to a debate argument. The picture is there in the box, but when I post preview, all I get is a blank box with a little colored box in the upper left hand corner. When I click submit, the same problem happens. There is also some text below the picture.

Here is a visual representation of my problem: http://www.debate.org....

I've seen other people do it, so it makes me think it's my fault, or my computer's. Any suggestions?
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
imabench
Posts: 21,216
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 8:43:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ive got the same problem.

Do you DDO on a Mac?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Subutai
Posts: 3,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 8:44:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 8:43:06 PM, imabench wrote:
Ive got the same problem.

Do you DDO on a Mac?

No, PC.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 10:56:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Seems to be a problem with the website.

Can you see my pic here? I couldn't
http://www.debate.org...

It was fine in review. I saw some other people reporting problems with the site today
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Subutai
Posts: 3,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 8:50:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I can't get it to work on IE, but I can upload pictures to debates on Chrome.

I'm not sure what the problem is.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Subutai
Posts: 3,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 9:49:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/24/2013 9:44:45 PM, RocketEngineer wrote:
Pictures on a debate? You can do that?

If you can get it to work (which was the whole point of this thread):

Step 1:
The first thing you have to do is save the picture you want to use in your argument to either your computer or a folder on your desktop where you can access it later.

Step 2:
When you are on DDO, there is a tab that says "My Photos" which is under the account menu. Under that tab you can create a new photo album or use an already existing one to upload your photos

Step 3:
Simply upload any photos you want to use in your arguments to the photo albums by clicking the "add" button. There are many ways to add photos to an album but this is the simplest

Step 4: Make sure the photo was successfully uploaded. Sometimes you have to do it twice because it didnt work the first time around

Step 5: Now in the debate you are in, click on "Rich text" at the top left corner of the box where you type your arguments. Scroll to the place you want to insert the picture.

Step 6: In the Photo Album, "Copy" the photo, not the URL just the photo, then simply "Paste" it into your arguments where you want it.

Hope this works for you. Right now, I can't upload pictures to debates on Internet Explorer, but I can on Chrome.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
medv4380
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 9:53:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Chromes last major update was early Early April.

Is your problem that it wont work at all in IE but does in Chrome, or does it partial work in Chrome and not at all in IE?

Have you tried FireFox to see if the behavior is different?
Subutai
Posts: 3,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 9:55:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/24/2013 9:53:42 PM, medv4380 wrote:
Chromes last major update was early Early April.

Is your problem that it wont work at all in IE but does in Chrome, or does it partial work in Chrome and not at all in IE?

Have you tried FireFox to see if the behavior is different?

It completely works for Chrome, but never for IE. I posted the same argument to a debate in Chrome and IE, and the former had all pictures up in the review, but the latter had only white boxes. I'm not sure if I can get past the review page on Chrome yet. I'm still creating it.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 9:57:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
My Mac does it great.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 9:58:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/24/2013 9:55:49 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 4/24/2013 9:53:42 PM, medv4380 wrote:
Chromes last major update was early Early April.

Is your problem that it wont work at all in IE but does in Chrome, or does it partial work in Chrome and not at all in IE?

Have you tried FireFox to see if the behavior is different?

It completely works for Chrome, but never for IE. I posted the same argument to a debate in Chrome and IE, and the former had all pictures up in the review, but the latter had only white boxes. I'm not sure if I can get past the review page on Chrome yet. I'm still creating it.

Using all of them, Firefox does it the best.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Subutai
Posts: 3,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 10:03:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/24/2013 9:58:31 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/24/2013 9:55:49 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 4/24/2013 9:53:42 PM, medv4380 wrote:
Chromes last major update was early Early April.

Is your problem that it wont work at all in IE but does in Chrome, or does it partial work in Chrome and not at all in IE?

Have you tried FireFox to see if the behavior is different?

It completely works for Chrome, but never for IE. I posted the same argument to a debate in Chrome and IE, and the former had all pictures up in the review, but the latter had only white boxes. I'm not sure if I can get past the review page on Chrome yet. I'm still creating it.

Using all of them, Firefox does it the best.

I haven't tried Firefox, but IE has worked fine until a couple of weeks ago, and now it's just not working on that browser.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
medv4380
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 10:05:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Which version of IE are you using?
It looks like from your debates source code that it's messing up the on<x>click ja<x>vascript and puting an x tag in the middle of it.

Is there public information of DDO's site code? Like a revision history. Maybe someone stripped out something that was there for compatibility with older versions, or newer versions, of IE.

Also when was the last time your computer updated IE?
Subutai
Posts: 3,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 10:17:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/24/2013 10:05:44 PM, medv4380 wrote:
Which version of IE are you using?

Internet Explorer 9.
It looks like from your debates source code that it's messing up the on<x>click ja<x>vascript and puting an x tag in the middle of it.


Can you fix that my changing the code?
Is there public information of DDO's site code? Like a revision history. Maybe someone stripped out something that was there for compatibility with older versions, or newer versions, of IE.


I'm not sure.
Also when was the last time your computer updated IE?

I'm not positive, but it must have been at least over a year ago, like around Summer 2011, give or take a few months.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Subutai
Posts: 3,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 10:18:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Btw, all, I was able to post pictures on Chrome:

http://www.debate.org...

But I still can't post pictures on IE:

http://www.debate.org...
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 4:40:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 8:44:19 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 4/22/2013 8:43:06 PM, imabench wrote:
Ive got the same problem.

Do you DDO on a Mac?

No, PC.

Is your PC a mac? My mac is a PC...
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
medv4380
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 9:59:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Very odd

your Chrome images tag looks like this
img src="../../../photos/albums/1/3/2350/58591-2350-5f3qu-a.jpg" alt=""

your IE tag looks like
img style="width: 700px; height: 350px;" title="" on<x>click="document.location='/Subutai/photos/album/2350/16622/'" src="../../../photos/albums/1/3/2350/58591-2350-74u7r-a.jpg" alt=""

The On Click, and style stuff should be unnecessary. I bet someone added some code to reduce script injection hacks. Whats happening is that something is seeing the On Click as one word and inserts a X tag in the middle. If you notice my last post it did the same to me like so on<x>click it even did it to ja<x>vascript. That breaks your image, and for some reason only your IE post is trying to make the image clickable to send the reader back to the album. Your chrome version is not.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 10:39:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/24/2013 9:44:45 PM, RocketEngineer wrote:
Pictures on a debate? You can do that?

Yeah. Just like you can use videos. Visuals can be very helpful in debates, which is why they sometimes use them on the floor in congress.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 10:43:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 8:25:18 PM, Subutai wrote:
No, this isn't what you think it is. I've posted 100+ pictures on debates over the months I've been a member of this site. However, since about two weeks ago, I cannot post pictures.

Yes, I do follow all the rules - save to a DDO photo album, rich text, copy the picture, public albums, etc... I follow the same process I have that had been working for over a year.

Let me describe my problem: I click copy to a picture and paste to a debate argument. The picture is there in the box, but when I post preview, all I get is a blank box with a little colored box in the upper left hand corner. When I click submit, the same problem happens. There is also some text below the picture.

Here is a visual representation of my problem: http://www.debate.org....

I've seen other people do it, so it makes me think it's my fault, or my computer's. Any suggestions?

I have the same problem. I've had a number of issues with pictures lately. In one of my more recent debates, it took 30 minutes to get the pictures to work; they looked fine in the preview, but after posting the argument the pictures ended up overlapping the text. When I refresh the debate page, the picture goes from overlapping the text to the text overlapping the picture; when I refreshed it again the picture turned into a box with an x.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Debate.org_Official
Posts: 93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 11:33:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hello, everyone!

We have recently made security updates to the site which appear to be causing issues when members try to add photos to debates.

We are aware of this problem, and are actively working to fix it. We will let you know when the issue is resolved.

Thank you for both your patience and your feedback.

Debate.org