Jump to topic:

Question on Presidents

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 5:55:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
As we all know, there's a president's category in your profile. The presidents category gives out what person you supported in the 2012 election. However, I was curious how people would feel if this was switched to something more like picking a favorite president. Instead of having Jill Stein, Rick Santorum, and Gary Johnson as choices this would be based on your favorite president so you would be able choose from Washington to Obama.

The other idea I had was switch the term "president" to "supported" and then add the favorite presidents category under "president". Your thoughts?
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
jzonda415
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 10:42:40 AM
At 4/29/2013 5:55:10 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
As we all know, there's a president's category in your profile. The presidents category gives out what person you supported in the 2012 election. However, I was curious how people would feel if this was switched to something more like picking a favorite president. Instead of having Jill Stein, Rick Santorum, and Gary Johnson as choices this would be based on your favorite president so you would be able choose from Washington to Obama.

The other idea I had was switch the term "president" to "supported" and then add the favorite presidents category under "president". Your thoughts?

I like it.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 5:12:22 PM
At 4/30/2013 1:26:15 AM, Smithereens wrote:
congrats on reaching 1000 posts.

Thank you!

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 5:18:38 PM
Can we also do that with Soviet Premiers?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 5:37:17 PM
I like that idea.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 5:37:47 PM
Though I think we should have two categories:
Favorite President:
Presidential Candidate:
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 6:39:00 PM
Ronald Ragen vs. Rick Santorum. Now there's a good match up.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 7:31:35 AM
Glad to see this idea has some support. Perhaps Juggle can make it happen.

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 11:42:21 AM
Very few people have an in-depth understanding of presidents in history. Instead, they will rely on the stereotype that they have that best corresponds to their ideology. So if you are a conservative you are likely to pick Reagan and if a liberal you are likely to pick FDR. I doubt that you'll get James K. Polk, because he as president in difficult times and worked so hard he had no energy to run again.

In short, I doubt the question would reveal must beyond what the member has already revealed as his ideology. But maybe there are some members who decline to state an ideology, but who would volunteer a favorite president. That would give an insight.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 1:52:15 PM
At 5/2/2013 11:42:21 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Very few people have an in-depth understanding of presidents in history. Instead, they will rely on the stereotype that they have that best corresponds to their ideology. So if you are a conservative you are likely to pick Reagan and if a liberal you are likely to pick FDR. I doubt that you'll get James K. Polk, because he as president in difficult times and worked so hard he had no energy to run again.

In short, I doubt the question would reveal must beyond what the member has already revealed as his ideology. But maybe there are some members who decline to state an ideology, but who would volunteer a favorite president. That would give an insight.

I have to agree, completely. If you had to pick, Roy, who would be your favorite?
Tsar of DDO
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 2:22:59 PM
At 5/2/2013 11:42:21 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

President James K. Polk did have a superb track record.

I thought the same when I first joined. I wanted to pick Bill Clinton, but I had to deal with Obama instead. I was disappointed.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 2:45:03 PM
At 5/2/2013 1:52:15 PM, YYW wrote:
I have to agree, completely. If you had to pick, Roy, who would be your favorite?

I'd pick Washington. My knowledge doesn't go much beyond lectures on C-SPAN 3, but I gather that historian now think that Washington contributed substantially to intellectual framework of the country, as well as the practical leadership.

A couple of books on Coolidge have been published recently, and he's being claimed to have been a model president. I would never have guessed that "silent Cal" wrote a weekly newspaper column and was, it's claimed, a great communicator.

My father went on a senior class trip to Washington, DC. That was in 1926, and President Coolidge shook hands with the students when they visited the White House. Times have changed.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 2:50:38 PM
At 5/2/2013 2:45:03 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 5/2/2013 1:52:15 PM, YYW wrote:

I'd pick Washington. My knowledge doesn't go much beyond lectures on C-SPAN 3, but I gather that historian now think that Washington contributed substantially to intellectual framework of the country, as well as the practical leadership.

A couple of books on Coolidge have been published recently, and he's being claimed to have been a model president. I would never have guessed that "silent Cal" wrote a weekly newspaper column and was, it's claimed, a great communicator.

My father went on a senior class trip to Washington, DC. That was in 1926, and President Coolidge shook hands with the students when they visited the White House. Times have changed.

That's fantastically cool. DC in 1926 would have been awesome too.
Tsar of DDO