Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Dave/Subutai 2013

DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 8:36:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am running for President of debate.org and Subutai has agreed to be my running mate. In order to create a better debate.org, Subutai and I are proposing the following as our platform:

I. Features
A. Team debates
B. Edit forum posts
C.Enhancements to the blogging system on DDO.

II. User interface
A. Redesign the debate.org website
B. Better text editor on messages, forum posts, and debates that will allow you to:
i) insert images in the debate from URL, DDO Photoalbum, or on your computer
ii) Change the color
iii) Change the style of the text
iv) Remove format
v) Insert text URL
vi) Insert table
vii) Add superscripts and subscripts directly
viii) Insert special characters (copyright, accent marks, currency, etc.)
C. Build a toolbar app for Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox

III. Misc. Improvements
A. Add a debate.org constitution
B. Improve forums by removing and combining duplicate categories
C. Add user moderators
D. Update the Photo uploader (BIG ONE, many people are having issues with that including myself).
E. Ability to change usernames

In order to keep these promises, I will work closely with debate.org and volunteer my time using my skills in PHP, HTML, CSS, and various web development software to impliment these changes. I will keep active in the debate.org community to get user input and their ideas.

I'm DoubtingDave, and I approve this message.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 8:38:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
No me gusta.

This platform is too unrealistic/requires too much coding sh!t.

Sorry.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 8:39:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 8:38:19 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
No me gusta.

This platform is too unrealistic/requires too much coding sh!t.

Sorry.

Well, as a developer I will be available to help with the coding.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 8:42:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 8:39:20 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 5/3/2013 8:38:19 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
No me gusta.

This platform is too unrealistic/requires too much coding sh!t.

Sorry.

Well, as a developer I will be available to help with the coding.

If Juggle hires you. How much of this do you reasonably thing you can achieve, not assuming Juggle agrees to it and allows you to implement it?
DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 8:44:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 8:42:23 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/3/2013 8:39:20 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 5/3/2013 8:38:19 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
No me gusta.

This platform is too unrealistic/requires too much coding sh!t.

Sorry.

Well, as a developer I will be available to help with the coding.

If Juggle hires you. How much of this do you reasonably thing you can achieve, not assuming Juggle agrees to it and allows you to implement it?

I think I can achieve quite a lot, especially if we use free and open source software such as TinyMCE for the text editor (one of the BEST softwares I have used).

I will upload my certificates and qualifications for web development/programming to confirm that I have the skills necessary to complete these tasks.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 8:46:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 8:44:27 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 5/3/2013 8:42:23 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/3/2013 8:39:20 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 5/3/2013 8:38:19 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
No me gusta.

This platform is too unrealistic/requires too much coding sh!t.

Sorry.

Well, as a developer I will be available to help with the coding.

If Juggle hires you. How much of this do you reasonably thing you can achieve, not assuming Juggle agrees to it and allows you to implement it?

I think I can achieve quite a lot, especially if we use free and open source software such as TinyMCE for the text editor (one of the BEST softwares I have used).

I will upload my certificates and qualifications for web development/programming to confirm that I have the skills necessary to complete these tasks.

You're assuming Juggle will agree and comply... Like I said not to.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 9:07:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 8:36:54 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
I am running for President of debate.org and Subutai has agreed to be my running mate. In order to create a better debate.org, Subutai and I are proposing the following as our platform:

I. Features
A. Team debates

Aren't these already planned?

B. Edit forum posts

Juggle has stated that this will not happen because it's too much work.

C.Enhancements to the blogging system on DDO.

Waaah?

II. User interface
A. Redesign the debate.org website

Because the redesign they already gave us just isn't enough, amirite?

III. Misc. Improvements
A. Add a debate.org constitution

I did that first! Nyah nyah: http://www.debate.org...

B. Improve forums by removing and combining duplicate categories

You mean, every single one of them?

C. Add user moderators

What?...

I'm DoubtingDave, and I approve this message.

It gets a C+ from me, although Emperor FREEDO will have the final say.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Subutai
Posts: 3,172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 9:08:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
People, there's no doubt the site needs a complete recoding. I've been experiencing a lot of trouble on DDO lately uploading pictures, and especially with debate formatting.

Juggle I'm sure would be pleased to have someone knowledgeable in this to assist them in this endeavor.

I guess I'm going to need to get some programming skills too.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 9:16:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 9:08:55 PM, Subutai wrote:
People, there's no doubt the site needs a complete recoding. I've been experiencing a lot of trouble on DDO lately uploading pictures, and especially with debate formatting.

Juggle I'm sure would be pleased to have someone knowledgeable in this to assist them in this endeavor.

I guess I'm going to need to get some programming skills too.

Not to steal drafter's point, but this is assuming they would let you.

Honestly, the President is just the figurehead/leader of the DDO COMMUNITY, NOT an automatic employee/part of Juggle, which is what it'd take to actually change site code.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Subutai
Posts: 3,172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 9:19:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 9:16:20 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 5/3/2013 9:08:55 PM, Subutai wrote:
People, there's no doubt the site needs a complete recoding. I've been experiencing a lot of trouble on DDO lately uploading pictures, and especially with debate formatting.

Juggle I'm sure would be pleased to have someone knowledgeable in this to assist them in this endeavor.

I guess I'm going to need to get some programming skills too.

Not to steal drafter's point, but this is assuming they would let you.

Honestly, the President is just the figurehead/leader of the DDO COMMUNITY, NOT an automatic employee/part of Juggle, which is what it'd take to actually change site code.

Volunteering to do it is definitely a plus to both DDO and to Juggle. And the president would also be better able to negotiate with Juggle for updates rather than the normal debater.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 9:22:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 9:19:44 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 5/3/2013 9:16:20 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 5/3/2013 9:08:55 PM, Subutai wrote:
People, there's no doubt the site needs a complete recoding. I've been experiencing a lot of trouble on DDO lately uploading pictures, and especially with debate formatting.

Juggle I'm sure would be pleased to have someone knowledgeable in this to assist them in this endeavor.

I guess I'm going to need to get some programming skills too.

Not to steal drafter's point, but this is assuming they would let you.

Honestly, the President is just the figurehead/leader of the DDO COMMUNITY, NOT an automatic employee/part of Juggle, which is what it'd take to actually change site code.

Volunteering to do it is definitely a plus to both DDO and to Juggle. And the president would also be better able to negotiate with Juggle for updates rather than the normal debater.

The wheel of change for DDO is quite slow. Just volunteering really does nothing.

And "negotiating" really isn't an actual thing. It's more just "asking" Juggle for updates.

I'm not trying to be an a-hole or anything. I'm just trying to ask you to reassess your goals/platform. I'm not saying you or Dave would be a bad VP/Pres, but I think you need a more achievable platform.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 9:33:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 9:08:55 PM, Subutai wrote:
People, there's no doubt the site needs a complete recoding. I've been experiencing a lot of trouble on DDO lately uploading pictures, and especially with debate formatting.

Juggle I'm sure would be pleased to have someone knowledgeable in this to assist them in this endeavor.

You're sure because you've discussed this with them and have already obtAined their explicit support?


I guess I'm going to need to get some programming skills too.

Well.. That's certainly the cart...
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 9:44:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
As a fellow developer and CEO of my own development company, having built dozens of unique CMS systems, I'm not a fan of TinyMCE. For small & simple inline editing nicEdit is much better, for more complex applications it's better to write your own.

Worth noting that I offered to implement higher caps on RFDs ages ago. They refused my free help and did it themselves. I see no reason why they should trust you.

The site does NOT need a complete recoding. That's reinventing the wheel and a waste of time. Build your own debate site if you feel that way. Many elements of the code/design are bloated, pointless or lacking in important features, I agree, but not this. I might add that when Juggle asked for design concepts from the community, I was the ONLY site member to actually submit a sketch like they asked for.

Get over yourselves, it's not a matter of "I can code thus I can save the site".
lannan13
Posts: 23,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 10:14:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I like it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 11:13:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 8:38:19 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
No me gusta.

This platform is too unrealistic/requires too much coding sh!t.

Sorry.

^ Beat me to it
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 11:46:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
DDO interface does require an overhaul, so its good that someone is wiling to put it forth to juggle, except there really isn't much difference between you making it your parties policy and suggesting it in the enhancement forum. It has already been suggested, so there really isn't anything new you are bringing to the table. Furthermore, lets grant that it was a completely new idea that couldn't be put in the enhancement thread, in that case once it goes through your party will have no reason to stay in office...
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 11:48:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Might I mention that your competition will be Airmax. That's though to beat, I personally would like to see good reasons as to why you can do what Airmax does better. Also, your skills in coding are irrelevant as juggle does the site upgrading, not its users.

Good luck with your 2013 campaign.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 11:56:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 11:48:49 PM, Smithereens wrote:
Might I mention that your competition will be Airmax.

Airmax is running again?

That's though to beat, I personally would like to see good reasons as to why you can do what Airmax does better. Also, your skills in coding are irrelevant as juggle does the site upgrading, not its users.

Good luck with your 2013 campaign.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 11:59:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 11:56:45 PM, imabench wrote:
At 5/3/2013 11:48:49 PM, Smithereens wrote:
Might I mention that your competition will be Airmax.

Airmax is running again?

Now that Orysus is out I would assume so.

That's though to beat, I personally would like to see good reasons as to why you can do what Airmax does better. Also, your skills in coding are irrelevant as juggle does the site upgrading, not its users.

Good luck with your 2013 campaign.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 3:37:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
You have my support.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 6:11:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/4/2013 5:31:53 AM, drafterman wrote:
Question: why is not being president stopping you from offering to do these things for Juggle/DDO?

Good question. If you really care about the site, why have you not offered these coding services to Juggle?
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 6:18:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/4/2013 6:13:20 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I won't vote for anybody under the age of 22 for the presidency of the site.

He is a legal adult. He could run for president if he wanted to. In fact, the local representative of a council near mine is 18 years old too. What concerns me more is that fact that he hasn't been around for very long at all.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 6:45:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/4/2013 6:18:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 5/4/2013 6:13:20 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I won't vote for anybody under the age of 22 for the presidency of the site.

He is a legal adult. He could run for president if he wanted to. In fact, the local representative of a council near mine is 18 years old too. What concerns me more is that fact that he hasn't been around for very long at all.

What part of her statement says that he can't or shouldn't run?
Subutai
Posts: 3,172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 8:11:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/4/2013 6:18:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 5/4/2013 6:13:20 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I won't vote for anybody under the age of 22 for the presidency of the site.

He is a legal adult. He could run for president if he wanted to. In fact, the local representative of a council near mine is 18 years old too. What concerns me more is that fact that he hasn't been around for very long at all.

Dave used to be Microsuck, who used to be Mr.Infidel, who used to be a few other things. He's been on the site for a few years.

I'm also the new account of Ron-Paul. I've been on since Dec 2011.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 8:12:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/4/2013 8:11:35 AM, Subutai wrote:
At 5/4/2013 6:18:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 5/4/2013 6:13:20 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I won't vote for anybody under the age of 22 for the presidency of the site.

He is a legal adult. He could run for president if he wanted to. In fact, the local representative of a council near mine is 18 years old too. What concerns me more is that fact that he hasn't been around for very long at all.

Dave used to be Microsuck, who used to be Mr.Infidel, who used to be a few other things. He's been on the site for a few years.

I'm also the new account of Ron-Paul. I've been on since Dec 2011.

Ah then forgive me. Why is everyone making new accounts?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 11:26:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/4/2013 8:12:37 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 5/4/2013 8:11:35 AM, Subutai wrote:
At 5/4/2013 6:18:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 5/4/2013 6:13:20 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I won't vote for anybody under the age of 22 for the presidency of the site.

He is a legal adult. He could run for president if he wanted to. In fact, the local representative of a council near mine is 18 years old too. What concerns me more is that fact that he hasn't been around for very long at all.

Dave used to be Microsuck, who used to be Mr.Infidel, who used to be a few other things. He's been on the site for a few years.

I'm also the new account of Ron-Paul. I've been on since Dec 2011.

Ah then forgive me. Why is everyone making new accounts?

DoubtingDave switched to another account shortly after he completely f*cked up the 16kadams trial
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 5:59:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So wait I'm confused. As of now is Airmax running for president or not? Or has he not made an announcement to run for a second term?
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 5:59:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/4/2013 5:59:08 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
So wait I'm confused. As of now is Airmax running for president or not? Or has he not made an announcement to run for a second term?

And how many terms does Airmax have right now?
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...