Total Posts:39|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Serious about Real Life Debating

BellumQuodPacis
Posts: 1,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 5:33:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I realised that over the weekend when I was at the Glenbrooks Debate Tournament in Chicago, that Debating on this site is much different from what I do. I do the event congress and it is much different than this sites debating, I somehow am better on real life, now how i can improve my internet debating to match the skill of my real life debating.

FYI, at glenbrooks (out of 500 kids) i received 9th.

http://www.glenbrookdebate.com...

Click on "Congressional Results Elim Rounds" Ctrl+F my name : Christian May
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 5:35:19 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/23/2009 5:33:35 PM, BellumQuodPacis wrote:
I realised that over the weekend when I was at the Glenbrooks Debate Tournament in Chicago, that Debating on this site is much different from what I do. I do the event congress and it is much different than this sites debating, I somehow am better on real life, now how i can improve my internet debating to match the skill of my real life debating.

FYI, at glenbrooks (out of 500 kids) i received 9th.

http://www.glenbrookdebate.com...

Click on "Congressional Results Elim Rounds" Ctrl+F my name : Christian May

Congrats on the 9th place dude.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 5:56:39 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/23/2009 5:43:41 PM, BellumQuodPacis wrote:
At 11/23/2009 5:43:03 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Job.

Not quite knowing what you getting at here...

A good one.

I agree.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:03:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
now how i can improve my internet debating to match the skill of my real life debating.
Simple.

Don't worry about format.

Do worry about logic.

????

Profit.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 7:27:23 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
FYI, at glenbrooks (out of 500 kids) i received 9th.
Maybe you would have received first if you were LESS ARROGANT and had proper grammar/spelling to help you make your points. Good job, though.
Harlan
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 8:25:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/23/2009 7:27:23 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
FYI, at glenbrooks (out of 500 kids) i received 9th.
Maybe you would have received first if you were LESS ARROGANT and had proper grammar/spelling to help you make your points. Good job, though.

Spelling?
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 8:57:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/23/2009 8:25:42 PM, Harlan wrote:
At 11/23/2009 7:27:23 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
FYI, at glenbrooks (out of 500 kids) i received 9th.
Maybe you would have received first if you were LESS ARROGANT and had proper grammar/spelling to help you make your points. Good job, though.

Spelling?

Yes. There are common words in which an incorrect spelling affects how the word is enunciated and projected.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 10:06:50 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/23/2009 8:23:19 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Arrogance is a byproduct of excitement and desperation for congratulations ;)

So? He deserves it -- Congratulations, Christian :)
President of DDO
USAPitBull63
Posts: 668
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 12:06:25 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Congrats on your achievement.

That said, Congress isn't really debate, so much as discussion. If you want to improve your debating skills, compete in actual debate categories (e.g., LD, PF, Policy).

Your skills should then improve immensely.
Alexby1
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 4:19:01 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/24/2009 12:06:25 AM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
Congrats on your achievement.

That said, Congress isn't really debate, so much as discussion. If you want to improve your debating skills, compete in actual debate categories (e.g., LD, PF, Policy).

Your skills should then improve immensely.

Congrats as well.

Congress isn't debate? I agree that there might not me quite as much opportunity for refutation as in LD or policy, but you still take the affirmative or negative side on an issue.
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 5:42:25 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/23/2009 7:27:23 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
FYI, at glenbrooks (out of 500 kids) i received 9th.
Maybe you would have received first if you were LESS ARROGANT and had proper grammar/spelling to help you make your points. Good job, though.

Jealous, much?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
ToastOfDestiny
Posts: 990
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 8:39:26 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Congrats.

Also, AAAAAGGHAGHHGA! I REALLY wanted to be at GBN. SO, SO BADLY. Unfortunately, our debate coach wouldn't take us, and our assistant coach took our team in Congress. I'm still really mad at that.
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 8:42:06 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/24/2009 5:42:25 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 11/23/2009 7:27:23 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
FYI, at glenbrooks (out of 500 kids) i received 9th.
Maybe you would have received first if you were LESS ARROGANT and had proper grammar/spelling to help you make your points. Good job, though.

Jealous, much?

Dude, I honestly have never done anything, am doing anything, or will do anything with debate. I have never been trained or even taught debate. I never heard of the NFL before someone posted a thread about it on this site. I'm more focused on academia. I would be jealous if he said he got a full ride somewhere prestigous or got a really high ranking on a standardized test. However, since I have done nothing with debate, I really am not jealous. I just do not appreciate arrogance.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 8:52:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/24/2009 8:42:06 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 11/24/2009 5:42:25 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 11/23/2009 7:27:23 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
FYI, at glenbrooks (out of 500 kids) i received 9th.
Maybe you would have received first if you were LESS ARROGANT and had proper grammar/spelling to help you make your points. Good job, though.

Jealous, much?

Dude, I honestly have never done anything, am doing anything, or will do anything with debate. I have never been trained or even taught debate. I never heard of the NFL before someone posted a thread about it on this site. I'm more focused on academia. I would be jealous if he said he got a full ride somewhere prestigous or got a really high ranking on a standardized test. However, since I have done nothing with debate, I really am not jealous. I just do not appreciate arrogance.

There's nothing wrong with taking pride in what one does.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 8:55:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/24/2009 8:52:44 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/24/2009 8:42:06 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 11/24/2009 5:42:25 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 11/23/2009 7:27:23 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
FYI, at glenbrooks (out of 500 kids) i received 9th.
Maybe you would have received first if you were LESS ARROGANT and had proper grammar/spelling to help you make your points. Good job, though.

Jealous, much?

Dude, I honestly have never done anything, am doing anything, or will do anything with debate. I have never been trained or even taught debate. I never heard of the NFL before someone posted a thread about it on this site. I'm more focused on academia. I would be jealous if he said he got a full ride somewhere prestigous or got a really high ranking on a standardized test. However, since I have done nothing with debate, I really am not jealous. I just do not appreciate arrogance.

There's nothing wrong with taking pride in what one does.

As a Christian, pride leads to sin ;)

I am allowed to have my own opinion. I'd really like to list my high school achievements and have everyone compliment me on them, but I personally find that rude and obnoxious. I congratulated Christian already, but was cautious on his display of achievement. Humility is respected in my eyes.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 8:59:11 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/24/2009 8:55:27 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 11/24/2009 8:52:44 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/24/2009 8:42:06 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 11/24/2009 5:42:25 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 11/23/2009 7:27:23 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
FYI, at glenbrooks (out of 500 kids) i received 9th.
Maybe you would have received first if you were LESS ARROGANT and had proper grammar/spelling to help you make your points. Good job, though.

Jealous, much?

Dude, I honestly have never done anything, am doing anything, or will do anything with debate. I have never been trained or even taught debate. I never heard of the NFL before someone posted a thread about it on this site. I'm more focused on academia. I would be jealous if he said he got a full ride somewhere prestigous or got a really high ranking on a standardized test. However, since I have done nothing with debate, I really am not jealous. I just do not appreciate arrogance.

There's nothing wrong with taking pride in what one does.

As a Christian, pride leads to sin ;)

So does cutting your hair.


I am allowed to have my own opinion. I'd really like to list my high school achievements and have everyone compliment me on them, but I personally find that rude and obnoxious. I congratulated Christian already, but was cautious on his display of achievement. Humility is respected in my eyes.

Well, our eyes see differently, I suppose. Every person has a desire to be recognized and distinguished, or at least to be respected for something. Everyone gets there differently. Besides, it's not like he went down his whole list of awards. It was one special achievement that he took pride in. It's as simple as that. :P
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 9:00:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/24/2009 8:59:11 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/24/2009 8:55:27 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 11/24/2009 8:52:44 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/24/2009 8:42:06 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 11/24/2009 5:42:25 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 11/23/2009 7:27:23 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
FYI, at glenbrooks (out of 500 kids) i received 9th.
Maybe you would have received first if you were LESS ARROGANT and had proper grammar/spelling to help you make your points. Good job, though.

Jealous, much?

Dude, I honestly have never done anything, am doing anything, or will do anything with debate. I have never been trained or even taught debate. I never heard of the NFL before someone posted a thread about it on this site. I'm more focused on academia. I would be jealous if he said he got a full ride somewhere prestigous or got a really high ranking on a standardized test. However, since I have done nothing with debate, I really am not jealous. I just do not appreciate arrogance.

There's nothing wrong with taking pride in what one does.

As a Christian, pride leads to sin ;)

So does cutting your hair.

LOL.



I am allowed to have my own opinion. I'd really like to list my high school achievements and have everyone compliment me on them, but I personally find that rude and obnoxious. I congratulated Christian already, but was cautious on his display of achievement. Humility is respected in my eyes.

Well, our eyes see differently, I suppose. Every person has a desire to be recognized and distinguished, or at least to be respected for something. Everyone gets there differently. Besides, it's not like he went down his whole list of awards. It was one special achievement that he took pride in. It's as simple as that. :P

Plus, it was related to debate and this is, after all, a debate website.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 9:05:11 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I do not consider cutting hair a sin. That may be stated in the Bible, but the Bible is obviously not meant to be taken literally (as a whole).
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 9:11:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/24/2009 9:07:55 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/24/2009 9:05:11 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I do not consider cutting hair a sin.

Tell that to Jesus.

That may be stated in the Bible, but the Bible is obviously not meant to be taken literally (as a whole).

Of course not. There's actually a name for that interpretation of the Bible.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Cherry picking, fundamentalism, very related.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 9:13:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/24/2009 9:11:12 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 11/24/2009 9:07:55 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/24/2009 9:05:11 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I do not consider cutting hair a sin.

Tell that to Jesus.

That may be stated in the Bible, but the Bible is obviously not meant to be taken literally (as a whole).

Of course not. There's actually a name for that interpretation of the Bible.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Cherry picking, fundamentalism, very related.

Nice job shifting the blame there. :)

Curiously, how do you determine the best way to follow certain parts of the Bible? For example, that whole "if a woman is unfaithful, slice off her hands" thing. What do you make of that?
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 9:16:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/24/2009 9:13:54 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/24/2009 9:11:12 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 11/24/2009 9:07:55 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/24/2009 9:05:11 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I do not consider cutting hair a sin.

Tell that to Jesus.

That may be stated in the Bible, but the Bible is obviously not meant to be taken literally (as a whole).

Of course not. There's actually a name for that interpretation of the Bible.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Cherry picking, fundamentalism, very related.

Nice job shifting the blame there. :)

Curiously, how do you determine the best way to follow certain parts of the Bible? For example, that whole "if a woman is unfaithful, slice off her hands" thing. What do you make of that?

Sorry, not being unfaithful; defending her husband. "Deuteronomy 25:11-12 - If two
men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his
assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity."

I forgot that the punishment for unfaithfulness is death. Sorry.
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 1:58:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/24/2009 9:16:28 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/24/2009 9:13:54 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/24/2009 9:11:12 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 11/24/2009 9:07:55 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/24/2009 9:05:11 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I do not consider cutting hair a sin.

Tell that to Jesus.

That may be stated in the Bible, but the Bible is obviously not meant to be taken literally (as a whole).

Of course not. There's actually a name for that interpretation of the Bible.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Cherry picking, fundamentalism, very related.

Nice job shifting the blame there. :)

Curiously, how do you determine the best way to follow certain parts of the Bible? For example, that whole "if a woman is unfaithful, slice off her hands" thing. What do you make of that?

Sorry, not being unfaithful; defending her husband. "Deuteronomy 25:11-12 - If two
men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his
assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity."

I forgot that the punishment for unfaithfulness is death. Sorry.

Damn, that's harsh.

It's funny to think that if those who defend the Bible as a righteous book of morals sent down from God himself actually lived by the Bible for just one day, they'd be in prison or a mental institution.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 4:36:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 1:58:51 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

It's funny to think that if those who defend the Bible as a righteous book of morals sent down from God himself actually lived by the Bible for just one day, they'd be in prison or a mental institution.

That's why God sent down apologists after Jesus left.