Jump to topic:

Larztheloser for president 2013

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 2:13:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I know I'm late to the party, but I'm going to put myself down as a serious candidate for the DDO presidency anyway.

I've been a member of this site since mid-2010, and enjoyed every debate I've had on here since then. I'm an active debater with plenty of RL experience and my own crazy theories. Having said that, I'm not usually one to take sides. I make a point of arguing everything from every angle, and understanding as many people as possible.

I've never had much time for site politics. It's only been in the last year or so that I even posted anything on the forums. And to be honest, I still don't - not for a lack of time, but because I consider that boring and petty. I'd much rather be debating! And let's face it - Mafia games and hating on Juggle aside, debating is what brought us together. Debating has a lot of power to do good in the world - I've seen it myself. As president, I would like to see this site be front and center of that initiative.

What you all want to see - my policies:

- Nurture debate as a first priority.

- Encourage debating with WELL-ORGANISED tournaments, using techniques like power-pairing, and random (fair) resolutions with Australs-style topic elimination. Encourage fewer, higher-quality tournaments rather than thousands of silly ones. Advertise these to new users.

- Encourage voting by featuring users who give good votes, and awarding prizes for the "vote of the week". Focus on making votes constructive not critical to help debaters. Attempt to give general pointers to users who are new voters upon registration, such as not to votebomb.

- As a victim of cyberbullying in the past, take a proactive approach to encourage respect in debate discussion and prevent harassment of other members. Zero tolerance approach for those who seek to bully others. Will use "trials" for borderline cases if appropriate, stern warnings for less severe cases, and bans for the really serious. Give support to victims.

- Beyond that, allow people to be really dumb on the forums if they please. I'm not a fan of wanton censorship.

- Politely pleading for more site features. I strongly support alternative formats such as team debates, and helped pioneer video debate formats and musical debates. I also support progressive reforms to improve the usability of the site. Ask Juggle to feature popular and interesting debates on social media, rather than just opinions.

- Create a thread for RL debaters to challenge other RL debaters over upcoming RL topics in prepared tournaments, to test cases and get feedback. Encourage video debates for this, esp. for tournaments where speaking style is assessed.

- No bureaucracy. No red tape. No silly "ministers" or portfolios. Just clean, transparent and open site governance. I take all opinions seriously.

I hope I can count on a few votes for a candidate committed to improving your debate experience.
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 2:32:26 AM
I actually really like this. I have one question though: Why do you have to be the president to do any of this?
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 2:32:26 AM
You would make a good prez. However, how active are you in the DDO community? Do you know what happens in the forums? How people feel towards each other? What current topics of interest are?

Information is power.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 2:50:36 AM
If you run you would have my vote, I am also a RL debater and do enjoy what you propose. I think your vote of the week is an excellent idea, however, finding the best vote would be another matter altogether.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 2:54:44 AM
At 5/8/2013 2:32:26 AM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
I actually really like this. I have one question though: Why do you have to be the president to do any of this?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 2:58:21 AM
Good questions! Thanks! Keep them coming.

Because it's very hard to do these things when the president isn't supporting them. For example, the president is the one who ultimately has responsibility for much of preventing cyberbullying, and the "Larztheloser vote of the week" award is simply not as cool as the "Presidential vote of the week" award. In the past I've posted on blogs and forums to try and get things done. I put off running for president because I feel the same way you do - people should just do things, not seek votes on promises and not deliver. I'm not that kind of guy. But it's now become apparent to me that influence matters when it comes to these kinds of things. Even if I'm not elected in the end, I hope that my ideas will be recognized. Win or lose, I'll try my best to make them happen, but in my honest experience, it's unlikely if I lose.

At 5/8/2013 2:32:26 AM, Smithereens wrote:
You would make a good prez. However, how active are you in the DDO community? Do you know what happens in the forums? How people feel towards each other? What current topics of interest are?

Information is power.

Agreed. I keep informed about what's happening in the forums, although I don't participate much. If elected, lurking on the forums is something you'll see me do somewhat more frequently. I explained that I'm here primarily to debate, and that's why I don't lurk on the forums much. But now I want to nurture debating more, helping other people with it, and that program naturally requires a greater degree of oversight over the forums.

At 5/8/2013 2:50:36 AM, Smithereens wrote:
If you run you would have my vote, I am also a RL debater and do enjoy what you propose. I think your vote of the week is an excellent idea, however, finding the best vote would be another matter altogether.

Thanks! I was thinking of allowing debaters themselves to nominate votes that were really good or helpful, to create a shortlist. Best votes would help both sides become better debaters while being fair and impartial in the decision. If I ever become spoilt for choice, then that would be a really great thing for this website. Good judges deserve recognition.
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:06:30 AM
As president you would not be obligated to participate in the forums, but you would have to regulate cases of harassment. What is your opinion on the way Oryus handled Malcomxy? Would you have handled the situation differently? If so, how?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:09:19 AM
At 5/8/2013 2:58:21 AM, larztheloser wrote:

Because it's very hard to do these things when the president isn't supporting them.

And where exactly has Airmax stated he is against cyber bullying exactly?

For example, the president is the one who ultimately has responsibility for much of preventing cyberbullying,

How do you define cyber bullying exactly? Relentless harassment is something the president should address yes but if one person calls another person a poopy head then I don't see why the president needs to get involved

and the "Larztheloser vote of the week" award is simply not as cool as the "Presidential vote of the week" award.

"The Weekly Stupid" also isn't as cool as "The Presidential Weekly Stupid" but that didnt stop me, what's stopping you?

In the past I've posted on blogs and forums to try and get things done. I put off running for president because I feel the same way you do - people should just do things, not seek votes on promises and not deliver. I'm not that kind of guy. But it's now become apparent to me that influence matters when it comes to these kinds of things. Even if I'm not elected in the end, I hope that my ideas will be recognized. Win or lose, I'll try my best to make them happen, but in my honest experience, it's unlikely if I lose.

Oh please... I got the DDO hall of fame recognized and I didn't need to run for president to do it. In fact I'm pretty sure that 20 other people who did run at one point campaigned on making a hall of fame but the second they lost they didn't give a damn about it....

So which ideas if yours really need the position of the presidency to implement? Because you don't need the presidency to do anything really, and once in a while you may only need help from the mods but mod powers don't come with the presidency

Information is power.

Agreed. I keep informed about what's happening in the forums, although I don't participate much. If elected, lurking on the forums is something you'll see me do somewhat more frequently. I explained that I'm here primarily to debate, and that's why I don't lurk on the forums much. But now I want to nurture debating more, helping other people with it, and that program naturally requires a greater degree of oversight over the forums.

At 5/8/2013 2:50:36 AM, Smithereens wrote:

Thanks! I was thinking of allowing debaters themselves to nominate votes that were really good or helpful, to create a shortlist. Best votes would help both sides become better debaters while being fair and impartial in the decision. If I ever become spoilt for choice, then that would be a really great thing for this website. Good judges deserve recognition.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:11:25 AM
At 5/8/2013 3:09:19 AM, imabench wrote:
At 5/8/2013 2:58:21 AM, larztheloser wrote:

Because it's very hard to do these things when the president isn't supporting them.

And where exactly has Airmax stated he isnt against cyber bullying exactly?

Fixed it, damn autocorrect

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:17:39 AM
At 5/8/2013 2:13:18 AM, larztheloser wrote:

What you all want to see - my policies:

- Nurture debate as a first priority.

Which you don't need the presidency to do...

- Encourage debating with WELL-ORGANISED tournaments, using techniques like power-pairing, and random (fair) resolutions with Australs-style topic elimination. Encourage fewer, higher-quality tournaments rather than thousands of silly ones. Advertise these to new users.

- Encourage voting by featuring users who give good votes, and awarding prizes for the "vote of the week". Focus on making votes constructive not critical to help debaters. Attempt to give general pointers to users who are new voters upon registration, such as not to votebomb.

- As a victim of cyberbullying in the past, take a proactive approach to encourage respect in debate discussion and prevent harassment of other members.

Which you don't need the presidency to do....

Zero tolerance approach for those who seek to bully others. Will use "trials" for borderline cases if appropriate, stern warnings for less severe cases, and bans for the really serious. Give support to victims.

Which is already how Airmax handles things....

- Beyond that, allow people to be really dumb on the forums if they please. I'm not a fan of wanton censorship.

Does this really need to be a part of your platform?? Like seriously

- Politely pleading for more site features. I strongly support alternative formats such as team debates, and helped pioneer video debate formats and musical debates. I also support progressive reforms to improve the usability of the site. Ask Juggle to feature popular and interesting debates on social media, rather than just opinions.

Which not only do you not need the presidency to do, but is already implemented....

- Create a thread for RL debaters to challenge other RL debaters over upcoming RL topics in prepared tournaments, to test cases and get feedback. Encourage video debates for this, esp. for tournaments where speaking style is assessed.

- No bureaucracy. No red tape. No silly "ministers" or portfolios. Just clean, transparent and open site governance. I take all opinions seriously.

Sounds like a ridiculous and stupid appeal to libertarians who are all about transparency...

I hope I can count on a few votes for a candidate committed to improving your debate experience.

I'm not impressed at all

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:18:11 AM
I like your platform Larz, and from what little I know about you and my limited interactions with you I can tell you are a mature and thoughtful person.

I've only recently decided to run again, and haven't made any kind of official announcement yet, but should I win I hope you will take a more active role, and in working with me to make some of these goals happen.

While I had reached out to you, our interactions ended up being limited. I would have enjoyed you taking a more active role as you certainly have well thought out and reasonable ideas.

I think your platform is well thought out, though much of it doesn't require being DDO President. I've asked in several threads, and contacted many people directly to help assist in doing several of these things. DDO tournaments is one specifically that you mention, as I've asked for members who would care to regularly organize them so I don't have to micromanage each one. While there are some planned for the near future, having someone like yourself being directly involved, who understands what is needed and appears to have the desire to do so, would greatly benefit the entire site.

Team debates is an involved project that is going to take more time. How exactly it is going to manifest requires more work and ultimately more input from members who really want them to happen. Though we did attempt to create a quick short term option by the use of newly created "Team debate" accounts, the idea petered out apparently due to a lack of interest in taking part of them in this way.

"No bureaucracy"

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this or if it's actually directed at me. Some use the term colloquially to describe the way I have run things. But it really isn't a bureaucracy. It simply describes a sizable group of members who are regularly offering me their opinions. There aren't any higher or lower rungs and there is no red tape. Those who are more involved are more regularly in contact with me and those who aren't offer less input. It's only a bureaucracy in the sense that just like everyone on the site, we all define our own level of involvement and can each become as involved as we like. Those who are more involved, are (in a purely figurative sense) higher up in the bureaucracy because they offer their view point far more often, and are more dependable in providing their view and doing some of the leg-work on any particular project.

A plan for encouraging voting is something we seem to be perpetually be working on and a finalized plan for it is something I hope we accomplish. Your idea for the "vote of the week" is a good one, and a small step towards that, and it's something we can implement right away.

Just thought I'd offer my 2 cents and clarify where necessary.

Good luck, I wish you the best.
Debate.org Moderator
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:19:01 AM
To be fair, Imabench, what can the president do that no other member of the site can do?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:22:57 AM
At 5/8/2013 3:19:01 AM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
To be fair, Imabench, what can the president do that no other member of the site can do?

Organize trials, levy bannings of people who take it too far, issue restraining orders between people who fight all the time, revoke voting rights of bad voters..... The list goes on and on

Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:26:05 AM
At 5/8/2013 3:22:57 AM, imabench wrote:

Organize trials, levy bannings of people who take it too far, issue restraining orders between people who fight all the time, revoke voting rights of bad voters..... The list goes on and on

This obviously is not going to take up the entirety of a president's time-commitment to the community. Why can't the president also serve as a symbolic figure-head for action?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:33:28 AM
At 5/8/2013 3:26:05 AM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:

This obviously is not going to take up the entirety of a president's time-commitment to the community.

You'd be surprised, there's a LOT of people, posts, and opinions that get reported that he has to go through on a daily basis as president... Plus there are a lot of fights on DDO at any given time, I've got three people out to get me right now actually.

Why can't the president also serve as a symbolic figure-head for action?

It does, but the presidency has become more then a figurehead for action, and when people campaign for president just for the sake of having authority, it diminishes what the presidency actually is about and diminishes the site as a result

Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:38:58 AM
At 5/8/2013 3:33:28 AM, imabench wrote:

This obviously is not going to take up the entirety of a president's time-commitment to the community.

You'd be surprised, there's a LOT of people, posts, and opinions that get reported that he has to go through on a daily basis as president... Plus there are a lot of fights on DDO at any given time, I've got three people out to get me right now actually.

If that's your argument then we might as well just elect two presidents, one for regulation and one for innovation.

It does, but the presidency has become more then a figurehead for action, and when people campaign for president just for the sake of having authority, it diminishes what the presidency actually is about and diminishes the site as a result

Don't you think that it is a bit unreasonable to claim that somebody who has had virtually no presence in the forums, 229 posts in two years, but a massive amount of debates, 162, would run for presidency simply for the authority that it brings? If anything, his lack of forum presence should show the genuine nature of his intentions.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:45:34 AM
At 5/8/2013 3:38:58 AM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:

If that's your argument then we might as well just elect two presidents, one for regulation and one for innovation.

But that's just idiotic, why not have one handle both of those things?

Don't you think that it is a bit unreasonable to claim that somebody who has had virtually no presence in the forums, 229 posts in two years, but a massive amount of debates, 162, would run for presidency simply for the authority that it brings? If anything, his lack of forum presence should show the genuine nature of his intentions.

Being infatuated with debating doesn't make someone a good president, and 162 debates over the course of two years doesn't mean much to me since I've had around 300 in half the time... And forum activity corresponds to community activity, meaning if someone isn't in the forums a lot then he also isn't involved in community affairs a lot, which is a big requirement for being a good presidential candidate

Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:51:56 AM
At 5/8/2013 3:45:34 AM, imabench wrote:
At 5/8/2013 3:38:58 AM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:

You can't have it both ways. Either you criticize people for wanting to take actions that they do not have to be the president to pursue, or you agree that the president is a vital figure in accomplishing these goals. You can't say that the president should try to innovate the way we approach certain events, like debate tournaments, and then criticize somebody for wanting to do that.

Being infatuated with debating doesn't make someone a good president, and 162 debates over the course of two years doesn't mean much to me since I've had around 300 in half the time... And forum activity corresponds to community activity, meaning if someone isn't in the forums a lot then he also isn't involved in community affairs a lot, which is a big requirement for being a good presidential candidate

That's a fair point, but it concedes that Larz is not simply running for the authority-status that being president brings. It shows that he probably has a genuine desire to improve the quality of debating on this site.

I do agree that he is not significantly involved in community affairs, but worse-case-scenario he could run along with a vise president who would advise him on community politics and sources of dissension. Depending on how you play the semantics this may entail withdrawing the "No Bureaucracy" plank of his platform, but I don't feel that to be a significant shift in his stance.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 4:02:23 AM
At 5/8/2013 3:51:56 AM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 5/8/2013 3:45:34 AM, imabench wrote:

You can't have it both ways. Either you criticize people for wanting to take actions that they do not have to be the president to pursue, or you agree that the president is a vital figure in accomplishing these goals.

But you don't need to be president to accomplish Larz's goals, legit all of them that arent already inplemented could be done without having to be president....

You can't say that the president should try to innovate the way we approach certain events, like debate tournaments, and then criticize somebody for wanting to do that.

I'm not criticizing Larz for wanting to innovate, I'm criticizing him for claiming that he needs to be president in order to innovate things that you dont need to be president to do when I have first hand experience to know that such a claim is horse sh*t

That's a fair point, but it concedes that Larz is not simply running for the authority-status that being president brings. It shows that he probably has a genuine desire to improve the quality of debating on this site.

You can want to improve the site and want to be president for the authority too, it's not one or the other...

I do agree that he is not significantly involved in community affairs, but worse-case-scenario he could run along with a vise president who would advise him on community politics and sources of dissension. Depending on how you play the semantics this may entail withdrawing the "No Bureaucracy" plank of his platform, but I don't feel that to be a significant shift in his stance.

1) That depends entirely on who his VP choice is
2) If he picks a VP who does his job for him, then that only shows how he is disconnected from the community he is on top of how he just wants to be president for authority...

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 4:23:27 AM
At 5/8/2013 3:06:30 AM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
As president you would not be obligated to participate in the forums, but you would have to regulate cases of harassment. What is your opinion on the way Oryus handled Malcomxy? Would you have handled the situation differently? If so, how?

Thanks for the question. To clarify, I'm not going to change my forum participation, but taking a proactive approach to cyberbullying means recognizing it and preventing it before it happens. That translates to more activity on my part. See also my other responses below.

I don't think it's helpful to comment on specific things I would have done with regards to previous incidents on the site, but very generally speaking, I would be completely transparent about any interventions, I would handle complaints with the utmost sensitivity. I'm not going to get into an argument over what was justified here and what wasn't, but both sides exhibited some bullying behavior.

And where exactly has Airmax stated he is against cyber bullying exactly?

Thanks for the question! I'm not going to comment on the current president's policies. I'm running because I think I have something valuable to offer the site. As much as some would want DDO to be the next 4chan, I want this to be a place safe for even preteens (who do visit this site).

How do you define cyber bullying exactly? Relentless harassment is something the president should address yes but if one person calls another person a poopy head then I don't see why the president needs to get involved

If it was clearly meant to attack the other person and bring them down. Nothing against random playful name-calling, but I'd much prefer the personal forum to be the place for personal things, and even there personal attacks should be restricted to a reasonable level. In most borderline cases I would defer to a general opinion.

"The Weekly Stupid" also isn't as cool as "The Presidential Weekly Stupid" but that didnt stop me, what's stopping you?

In the past I used to recognize important and interesting debates every week and analyse them for the ddo blogspot. Several of these things I have already committed to doing. But when it comes to awards specifically, I think good votes deserve nothing less than presidential recognition.

So which ideas if yours really need the position of the presidency to implement? Because you don't need the presidency to do anything really, and once in a while you may only need help from the mods but mod powers don't come with the presidency

In theory I could enslave airmax and get all this done without the presidency. Without enslaving airmax, I could probably get most of this done too, but it will be a much more uphill battle. Few movements have succeeded without victories.

Specifically, you need the presidency's influence to reduce the number of tournaments, and create outreach to RL debate groups (trust me, silly titles are life and death for RL debaters). Team debates are not effectively implemented dissuading uptake, nor are other things mostly important to non-us international debaters like BP style. Nevertheless I don't think this is important. As Machiavelli wrote, it's not titles that honor men, and the presidency doesn't really convey anything important at all. It is, however, men that honor titles. There's a lot of influence the position conveys, and that's everything.

Thanks for those questions though!

At 5/8/2013 3:18:11 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
I've only recently decided to run again, and haven't made any kind of official announcement yet, but should I win I hope you will take a more active role, and in working with me to make some of these goals happen.

Glad to hear it. Winning is much less important to me than seeing some things happen.

While I had reached out to you, our interactions ended up being limited. I would have enjoyed you taking a more active role as you certainly have well thought out and reasonable ideas.

To be absolutely clear, I wasn't invited to take on a more active role. For a long time I've been trying to get some of this noticed. Regardless of any outcome, I certainly hope my role will be more active.

I think your platform is well thought out, though much of it doesn't require being DDO President. I've asked in several threads, and contacted many people directly to help assist in doing several of these things.

I think that's indicative of the fact that things like the presidency are too forum-focused. Juggle has proven very opinion-focused, and people who are primarily debaters (like me) have never really been seriously reached out to, with the sole exception of increasing vote character count limit. I'm one of the very few that has stuck around without being very active on the forums. This imbalance needs to be corrected.

Team debates is an involved project that is going to take more time.

My platform is not a magic overnight solution - and I might add that I'm happy with the exploratory work that has been done by you and others - but there hasn't really been a consistent approach to getting things sorted out.

"No bureaucracy"

To clarify, this is not an attack on you. None of my policies are. Nor are every one of my policies different from yours.

Best of luck with your campaign!

At 5/8/2013 4:02:23 AM, imabench wrote:
But you don't need to be president to accomplish Larz's goals, legit all of them that arent already inplemented could be done without having to be president...

Good discussion here. I want to be president because I know it helps with making these things happen if there's even a semblance of authority behind it.

I'm not criticizing Larz for wanting to innovate, I'm criticizing him for claiming that he needs to be president in order to innovate things that you dont need to be president to do when I have first hand experience to know that such a claim is horse sh*t

I wish I had character space to enumerate all of the times that I've tried to get something done, failed, then been elected to a position, tried again and succeeded. Elections are all about getting people to hear your message and vote for that message if they agree. This isn't about power to make a change, this is about me rallying people and hopefully delivering as a result.

You can want to improve the site and want to be president for the authority too, it's not one or the other...

Not running for any authority. I'm running to make it easier for me to improve the site. Put together, all of the things up there require a lot of buy-in from a lot of people. Grovelling on the forums isn't going to make that happen. Being president just maybe might.

Also, just to clarify, I won't be naming an official VP. I don't think I'm disconnected from the forum side of DDO, but would of course encourage forummers to keep me in the loop if elected, as well as (as mentioned before) being on them more frequently.

Thanks for the questions everyone! I'm glad there's some discussion about my suitability for the role - and also that I haven't seen any opposition to my actual policies yet if they were implemented, which is encouraging.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 4:58:56 AM
And where exactly has Airmax stated he isnt against cyber bullying exactly?

Thanks for the question! I'm not going to comment on the current president's policies. I'm running because I think I have something valuable to offer the site.

Which is what exactly?

As much as some would want DDO to be the next 4chan, I want this to be a place safe for even preteens (who do visit this site).

And you don't think it is because?

If it was clearly meant to attack the other person and bring them down. Nothing against random playful name-calling, but I'd much prefer the personal forum to be the place for personal things, and even there personal attacks should be restricted to a reasonable level. In most borderline cases I would defer to a general opinion.

Which is how it already is....

In the past I used to recognize important and interesting debates every week and analyse them for the ddo blogspot. Several of these things I have already committed to doing. But when it comes to awards specifically, I think good votes deserve nothing less than presidential recognition.

So then you ARE after the presidency for its authority

In theory I could enslave airmax and get all this done without the presidency. Without enslaving airmax, I could probably get most of this done too, but it will be a much more uphill battle.

If I could pull it off then it'll be a breeze for you.

Few movements have succeeded without victories.

Few movements actually get off the ground because people don't actually care about them. If you really care about something you go after it, not use the presidency to do it instead.

Specifically, you need the presidency's influence to reduce the number of tournaments,

Why do you want to REDUCE torun enemy's held by DDOers?

and create outreach to RL debate groups (trust me, silly titles are life and death for RL debaters).

Team debates are not effectively implemented dissuading uptake, nor are other things mostly important to non-us international debaters like BP style. Nevertheless I don't think this is important. As Machiavelli wrote, it's not titles that honor men, and the presidency doesn't really convey anything important at all. It is, however, men that honor titles. There's a lot of influence the position conveys, and that's everything.

So you are after if for the authority....

At 5/8/2013 4:02:23 AM, imabench wrote:
But you don't need to be president to accomplish Larz's goals, legit all of them that arent already inplemented could be done without having to be president...

Good discussion here. I want to be president because I know it helps with making these things happen if there's even a semblance of authority behind it.

But you don't NEED IT is the point here

I wish I had character space to enumerate all of the times that I've tried to get something done, failed, then been elected to a position, tried again and succeeded.

Go ahead, make my day.

Elections are all about getting people to hear your message and vote for that message if they agree. This isn't about power to make a change, this is about me rallying people and hopefully delivering as a result.

Oh for gods sake, you don't need to be in politics to get a message out to people on an INTERNET FORUM. Just make a thread about it and go from there.

Not running for any authority.

It sure as hell sounds like it.

I'm running to make it easier for me to improve the site. Put together, all of the things up there require a lot of buy-in from a lot of people. Grovelling on the forums isn't going to make that happen. Being president just maybe might.

Also, just to clarify, I won't be naming an official VP. I don't think I'm disconnected from the forum side of DDO, but would of course encourage forummers to keep me in the loop if elected, as well as (as mentioned before) being on them more frequently.

How can you claim to be a proactive president and then state that people should come to you just to keep you in the loop?

Thanks for the questions everyone! I'm glad there's some discussion about my suitability for the role - and also that I haven't seen any opposition to my actual policies yet if they were implemented, which is encouraging.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 5:10:24 AM
At 5/8/2013 4:23:27 AM, larztheloser wrote:

Thanks for the question. To clarify, I'm not going to change my forum participation, but taking a proactive approach to cyberbullying means recognizing it and preventing it before it happens. That translates to more activity on my part. See also my other responses below.

I don't think it's helpful to comment on specific things I would have done with regards to previous incidents on the site, but very generally speaking, I would be completely transparent about any interventions, I would handle complaints with the utmost sensitivity. I'm not going to get into an argument over what was justified here and what wasn't, but both sides exhibited some bullying behavior.

LOL, what? Oryus didn't bully Malcolm at all.
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 5:46:25 AM
At 5/8/2013 5:10:24 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

I won't comment on semantics, and do not want to go into too much depth for fear of derailing this thread, but I do have one note on the topic. Oryus was most definitely out-of-line in how she dealt with Malcom, instigated or not. She had a right as a person to be offended, but a responsibility as an authority figure to be objective. I don't blame her for how she responded to his harassment, but I do believe that authority figures should not be able to make decisions as severe as banning a person, even temporarily, on cases that they are personally involved in. I think these issues should be resolved by other people. Naturally I would say that Airmax should be the one to mediate the dispute, but that lends itself to whether or not he would be an appropriate third-party either given his relationship with Oryus. But again, I don't want to get into too much depth, but rather wanted to make a point. That is all.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 6:01:32 AM
At 5/8/2013 4:58:56 AM, imabench wrote:
Which is what exactly?

Broadly, to add to the site's debate experience. That means a lot of things. Some exact things that I want to do that would be easier as president are given above. It's not a full list of all my ideas, nor do I imagine these are the only things I would do, but it takes a lot to get even these done.

And you don't think it is because?

I don't think it always has been. Most of these cases were eventually dealt with, but the standard on DDO is much lower than on sites that actively promote themselves as child-friendly. To some extent this might be justified, this site was never designed for that. But in any event people should be more careful.

How do you define cyber bullying exactly?
Which is how it already is....

I'm not criticizing every aspect of how the site is run with my policy, but in case it isn't apparent enough already, I really want to apply that standard more rigidly.

So then you ARE after the presidency for its authority

No, I think we're using authority in different senses of the word here. If you mean my ability to mandate stuff, then that's NOT what I'm in it for (the presidency doesn't convey that anyway). If you mean some platform to unite behind, then yes, that's what I want. I don't want people to vote for "me", but to vote for "my ideas". I just so happen to be the best candidate to implement my ideas. But I really want to end this culture that we have to vote for some candidate for being nice and friendly with people around the forums - I'm a candidate with a great vision who has what it takes to make it happen.

If I could pull it off then it'll be a breeze for you.

Imabench, I have a lot of respect for what you achieved, and I take the compliment. But I'm not just talking about starting some weekly stupid here. These changes will require a lot of commitment from people in general on this site. It might be possible with a lot of hard work, but the only way to make it a breeze will be with your vote.

Few movements actually get off the ground because people don't actually care about them. If you really care about something you go after it, not use the presidency to do it instead.

I will go after it win or lose. I can guarantee less than half of those things up there will actually work if I lose. I say this without any shortage of experience in making this stuff happen.

Why do you want to REDUCE torun enemy's held by DDOers?

Because there are too many low-quality tournaments which reduces the value of tournaments as a whole and dilutes the pool of debaters. That having been said, I would not force somebody to not run a tournament if they really wanted one, just very strongly discourage it in favor of fewer, more well-run tournaments.

and create outreach to RL debate groups (trust me, silly titles are life and death for RL debaters).

If I was named the "Grand Emperor of DDO" instead, then you're right, that would work too. Is there an election for that? No? Well, looks like I'll have to settle for president after all.

So you are after if for the authority....

I make a distinction between me being in it for authority, implying the authority passes to me, and my policies having authority, which I agree they should. I'm in it to make my policies happen.

But you don't NEED IT is the point here

If you convinced every business owner in America to raise wages, you could raise the minimum wage without ever getting elected, but it sure would be a lot easier to run in government. I don't think my dedication to this site and to other debaters is in any serious doubt.

Oh for gods sake, you don't need to be in politics to get a message out to people on an INTERNET FORUM. Just make a thread about it and go from there.

I've explained already my reasons for not doing this, but I suppose you're aware of the fact that I've made more than enough threads about things on here. Still, this site is NOT an internet forum. It's a debate site that happens to include a forum. In any event, whether my policies get votes or not, I hope this campaign does get a message out to people.

It sure as hell sounds like it.

I'm not running for any authority. I want my platform to have authority. By the way, it would be useful if you could condense your replies to me thematically so I avoid answering things twice or missing things. My sincere apologies if this has happened.

How can you claim to be a proactive president and then state that people should come to you just to keep you in the loop?

Because I sleep for about 7 hours every 24 hours, sometimes I eat meals, brush my teeth etc. I pledge to be a proactive president, but owing to being human, there's a one-in-a-million chance that I miss something. Generally speaking I consider myself "in the loop" already, but as president I'd feel a certain obligation to lurk still more.

I broadly agree with Lucky_Luciano on this point. I would only add that since I have no RL connection with any serious member of DDO I would consider myself completely impartial in mediating any dispute.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 6:47:18 AM
At 5/8/2013 5:46:25 AM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:

I won't comment on semantics, and do not want to go into too much depth for fear of derailing this thread, but I do have one note on the topic. Oryus was most definitely out-of-line in how she dealt with Malcom, instigated or not. She had a right as a person to be offended, but a responsibility as an authority figure to be objective. I don't blame her for how she responded to his harassment, but I do believe that authority figures should not be able to make decisions as severe as banning a person, even temporarily, on cases that they are personally involved in. I think these issues should be resolved by other people. Naturally I would say that Airmax should be the one to mediate the dispute, but that lends itself to whether or not he would be an appropriate third-party either given his relationship with Oryus. But again, I don't want to get into too much depth, but rather wanted to make a point. That is all.

hmmm? :)
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 6:50:06 AM

Information is power.

I think this means come and offer more in the forums. The forums needs you. lol.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 6:50:47 AM
At 5/8/2013 6:49:19 AM, larztheloser wrote:
At 5/8/2013 6:47:18 AM, Smithereens wrote:
hmmm? :)

Yeah ... um ... let's keep this thread on topic!

Good presidential platform.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 8:30:09 AM
Thanks everyone who I've spoken to so far, even those who don't want to vote for me! It sounds like my plan is even more well-supported than I'd hoped, and I'm glad to have been able to bring attention to these issues. Keep the questions coming!

I just wanted to add a very quick clarification. I don't want to censor anybody, nor am I going to make every forum thread age-appropriate for every visitor this site ever has. I'm no moral guardian, I just want to end the cycle of scandals this site has seen with early, passive intervention (like reminding specific members of specific site rules) and open mediation. It would have to be pretty bad, like a clear pattern of bullying, to go to trial, and nothing short of criminal for a ban.