Jump to topic:

Why Bother?

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 5:19:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Why do we even elect a president if the office's worth is contingent upon being able to moderate? I have noticed Airmax arguing that others candidates' platforms do not require that the person become president in order to be fulfilled. If this is the case, the president is basically a moderator, and Juggle is not going to make anybody a moderator unless it has an urge to, meaning that the entire election is sham.

On top of this, the new president is basically chosen by the old president; without the official endorsement, candidates have no grounds for running with an expectation of winning. How is this democratic?

I think we should just abolish the fake political struggle and just let Juggle select its mods or have Airmax appoint himself as the Dear Leader of DDO. It would cut the drama around the election, reduce the number of junk threads, and allow us to focus on more substantive issues. Our political power on this site does not stem from the election of leaders but rather on organization against those leaders. If you are dissatisfied with airmax's work, you can always apply pressure on him by organizing like minded people or you can appeal to Juggle. The elections detract from substantive political action by giving us an illusion of control.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 5:43:07 AM
Because it's America.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 5:46:50 AM
At 5/8/2013 5:43:07 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Because it's America.

I nominate this post for the weekly stupid.
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 5:53:20 AM
At 5/8/2013 5:46:50 AM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
Because it's America.

Cause it's true. You need to look no further than the usddo forum where many American ideas are fostered and here on this website juggle wants to give us what's best in America for all those 3rd world countries on the Internet right now who don't know or understand what democracy is and they give them the best of it. Good job juggle.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 5:55:54 AM
At 5/8/2013 5:53:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Because it's America.

Cause it's true. You need to look no further than the usddo forum where many American ideas are fostered and here on this website juggle wants to give us what's best in America for all those 3rd world countries on the Internet right now who don't know or understand what democracy is and they give them the best of it. Good job juggle.

I retract my previous statement. I nominate this post for the weekly stupid.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 6:01:17 AM
Why?

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 6:49:51 AM
Why are you bothered to bother people about what you are bothered about not being bothered about?

There is not point, so why bother?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 6:54:31 AM
At 5/8/2013 5:55:54 AM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
Because it's America.

You can't just dismiss things as stupid because you disagree with them. I'll never get over the irony of a site so centered around ideological deviance being so prone to mob mentality.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 7:08:25 AM
At 5/8/2013 6:54:31 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 5/8/2013 5:55:54 AM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
Because it's America.

You can't just dismiss things as stupid because you disagree with them. I'll never get over the irony of a site so centered around ideological deviance being so prone to mob mentality.

I did not dismiss his claim as stupid because I disagreed with it. I dismissed it as stupid because the claim that Juggle is spreading democracy to third world countries who don't know what's good for themselves is blatantly false. I'll never get over the irony of a site so centered around ideological deviance being so unable to conceptualize implicit reasoning.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 7:16:10 AM
innomen, once upon a time, did a post about the evolution of the president of DDO and that relationship with Juggle. I haven't found it yet, but that's the reason.

In short, because we fvcking want to, that's why.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 11:01:07 AM
Why not?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 11:10:36 AM
I wanted to create a worthless thread because I got tired of seeing people throwing their names in the hat. It was a back-handed way of campaigning for Airmax, in the way that Stephen Colbert's presidential "campaign" was really in support of Obama. Is the election a sham? I don't think so, but at the same time if someone were by some chance elected to the presidency that wasn't able to establish a working rapport with Juggle, the duties of the president would likely change dramatically.
Tsar of DDO