Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Is this site bias to non-bias people?

Prodigenius
Posts: 209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2013 10:19:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
) The correct answer is yes.
Live for the present, for it is a gift.

I surveyed 100 women and asked them what shampoo they used when showering, 98 of them said: How the hell did you get in here?
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2013 11:12:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/16/2013 10:19:51 PM, Prodigenius wrote:
":) The correct answer is yes."

If you put a colon at the beginning of your line, it indents as though you're quoting.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Prodigenius
Posts: 209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2013 11:17:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/16/2013 11:14:09 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Okay I'll bite: how do you figure?

The less opinionated you seem, the more severely opinionated your opponent seems.

The more severely opinionated your opponent seems, the less likely they are to be basing their viewpoints on thorough fact and reasoning.

Therefore, if you both gave equally valid reasoning, the human brain fo voters would instinctively slightly alter its state of mind to prefer you over your opponent.
Live for the present, for it is a gift.

I surveyed 100 women and asked them what shampoo they used when showering, 98 of them said: How the hell did you get in here?
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2013 11:40:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This site lessens bias by exposing people's viewpoints to critical examination. This increases the likelihood of someone decreasing their fanaticism from their pre-conceived viewpoint towards a more neutral one.

Basically, if you're against gay marriage, but every single reason you thought you had against it has been exploded in an argument, you may be less likely to endorse extreme measures regarding homosexuals.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 9:45:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/16/2013 11:17:38 PM, Prodigenius wrote:
At 5/16/2013 11:14:09 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Okay I'll bite: how do you figure?

The more severely opinionated your opponent seems, the less likely they are to be basing their viewpoints on thorough fact and reasoning.

Here is where I think you go wrong. Heightened levels of passion for a topic doesn't lead to loss of factual information. For example, take 16kadams. He's one of the most recognizable debaters when you talk about traditional marriage and anti-gay marriage. But he's got his stats down. He has pages upon pages upon pages of sources to factual information. His opinion-heavy stance doesn't cause him to lose factual information.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Prodigenius
Posts: 209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 9:51:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/17/2013 9:45:46 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 5/16/2013 11:17:38 PM, Prodigenius wrote:
At 5/16/2013 11:14:09 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Okay I'll bite: how do you figure?


The less opinionated you seem, the more severely opinionated your opponent seems.

The more severely opinionated your opponent seems, the less likely they are to be basing their viewpoints on thorough fact and reasoning.

Therefore, if you both gave equally valid reasoning, the human brain fo voters would instinctively slightly alter its state of mind to prefer you over your opponent.


Next time don't cut out the rest of my quote.
Live for the present, for it is a gift.

I surveyed 100 women and asked them what shampoo they used when showering, 98 of them said: How the hell did you get in here?
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 10:12:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
How many useless forums do you plan on spamming prod?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 10:22:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So I try to actually discuss something with you and you say that I shouldn't cut your quote up.

....Kay.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 10:47:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/16/2013 11:40:31 PM, Wnope wrote:
This site lessens bias by exposing people's viewpoints to critical examination. This increases the likelihood of someone decreasing their fanaticism from their pre-conceived viewpoint towards a more neutral one.

Basically, if you're against gay marriage, but every single reason you thought you had against it has been exploded in an argument, you may be less likely to endorse extreme measures regarding homosexuals.

Are you sure about that? From my experiences, people with emotionally-held opinions just go from arguing to whining. Look at every gay marriage debate with a significant amount of comments for examples.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian