airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 8:03:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hey DDO,

How's it goin?

As promised, I am going to provide a weekly run down of what has been going on administratively in the past week.

So here's what's been goin' on:

1) VP

I'd like to thank Wnope for accepting my invitation to run with me as the next VP. Wnope has been working with me for awhile now, dating back to when the two of us worked in the Innomen administration. He's a dedicated member and his advice has been invaluable over the past year. He'll make a fine VP and I look forward to seeing what we can achieve together.

2) DDO Official Tournaments

http://www.debate.org...

Several new tournaments are in the sign-up phase. I hope members will sign up soon so that we can get them underway. I'd like to thank Lannan13, 1devilsadvocate, Cybertron1998, and 16kadams for helping out with the project.

3) DDO Staff Impersonation

A couple days ago a member created a multi-account called "JuggleSupport" and posted a thread saying that Team debates and other site features were being added/changed. Some members took this hoax seriously, as is only natural when seeing an account with this name, and were disappointed to see that these features were not really being added.

I can not stress enough how significant this type of offense is. Impersonating a Juggle representative on the site will not be tolerated in the future. The member responsible for this will be given a 2 week ban. While I did consider a permanent ban and a month long ban, I concluded that since this member had no prior history of any conduct violations whatsoever, nor did this event have any precedence, that a 2 week ban would be fair.

It's not my intent to publicly shame this member, or really to make an example of them, so I will not be sharing who this member is. Instead my intent here is to make it very clear to members that "member impersonation" isn't allowed. Juggle staff impersonation is an even more significant offense, and will lead to a permanent ban if any members violate this in the future.

Certain common violations like multi accounting, spamming, and other conduct violations like impersonating Juggle staff will be explained in a near future reorganization of the DDO forum stickies, which will also include an in-depth explanation of proper voting conduct, and the consequence of the lack of it.

To be clear, impersonating Juggle staff is unacceptable and will lead to a permanent ban for any member found doing so in the future.

4) Debate ethics

I got a lot of messages this week asking me questions about a specific incident regarding a debate and the conduct involved. While much of what was asked of me was technical, a lot of it was regarding the ethics of certain aspects of DDO debates as well.

I'd just like to say that while I feel the site has certain expectations, things not directly violating site conduct rules can ultimately be resolved by the voters and the debaters. I don't generally want to insert myself in these types of issues and feel that the community is capable enough to look at these situations objectively and come to a conclusion. They ultimately express their view on these things with their votes, and that is how it should be done.

Things more overtly against debate conduct than this particular incident, like trying to get away with the character glitch, seem to ultimately be resolved on their own as well, as members don't seem to look fondly upon members violating the spirit of the intended rules.

So while I may view these types of things in a particular way personally, I don't have any intention of getting involved in them in any official capacity or trying to resolve them personally, so long as it can be dealt with in the way debates are resolved, and so long as it doesn't threaten the integrity of the site.

Members are always welcome to contact me about these types of things though, for technical or personal reasons, and I will help and share my opinions regarding them. But I'm not inclined to insert myself into the issue in any way, because the community itself ultimately decides what is best in these situations.

So that's pretty much it this week. If members have any questions, they are free to ask.

As always, if anyone has any questions, concerns, comments, would like to offer their assistance, or anything else, they are always free to contact me.

Thank you.

Airmax1227
DDO President
Debate.org Moderator
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 9:04:00 PM
Why not make this an official sticky thread you post in each week? This makes for a good story to read while having a cuppa or something. I raise my glass to you Airmax, well done.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 9:14:56 PM
At 5/17/2013 9:04:00 PM, Smithereens wrote:
Why not make this an official sticky thread you post in each week? This makes for a good story to read while having a cuppa or something. I raise my glass to you Airmax, well done.

I might consider that once I figure out how I should reorganize all those stickies. The DDO stickies are a pretty cluttered mess right now, and I don't want to add anything unnecessary. But I might consider it once I've found a good way to reorganized and consolidate some of it. I kinda like the idea of each week just being a regular thread though, and disappearing down the list once it's old news. I can link all of them in each post just so members can look back and keep track though.

...and thank you.
Debate.org Moderator
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 9:16:37 PM
....................... Well I guess I'll have to dump all the 'Airmax/Imabench 2013' posters I made in the trash..........
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 9:27:15 PM
At 5/17/2013 9:16:37 PM, imabench wrote:
....................... Well I guess I'll have to dump all the 'Airmax/Imabench 2013' posters I made in the trash..........

Before the SuperBowl, SB championship hats and shirts are made for both teams so at the end of the game, we can all see the winning players wearing the pre-made stuff right away. The losing teams shirts and hats are often disposed of, or given to needy people in the developing world or disaster areas. These items often have a decent ebay value for the novelty of them.

So I wouldn't throw them out just yet... ;)

http://mentalfloss.com...
Debate.org Moderator
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 10:27:57 PM
At 5/17/2013 9:27:15 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Before the SuperBowl, SB championship hats and shirts are made for both teams so at the end of the game, we can all see the winning players wearing the pre-made stuff right away. The losing teams shirts and hats are often disposed of, or given to needy people in the developing world or disaster areas. These items often have a decent ebay value for the novelty of them.

Yes, give the posters to freezing, suffering children in third world countries and let them gaze upon them in their hour of distress and be warm inside.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 10:45:57 PM
At 5/17/2013 10:27:57 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 5/17/2013 9:27:15 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Yes, give the posters to freezing, suffering children in third world countries and let them gaze upon them in their hour of distress and be warm inside.

Precisely. Throwing them away would be heartless.
Debate.org Moderator
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 11:09:30 PM
This will help me fill my DDO in 15 seconds series, thanks.

Btw, is there any update on the progress of team debates?
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 11:30:33 PM
At 5/17/2013 11:09:30 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
This will help me fill my DDO in 15 seconds series, thanks.

Btw, is there any update on the progress of team debates?

Not really. I'll be sure to make it a major announcement when there is.
Debate.org Moderator
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 3:04:20 AM
You should publically shame the person who gave us false hopes for team debates. Not that I wish for them to be embarrassed, but because I am squirming with curiosity as to who they are. I don't suppose you will divulge this information to the uneducated masses?
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 3:09:44 AM
At 5/18/2013 3:04:20 AM, Smithereens wrote:
You should publically shame the person who gave us false hopes for team debates. Not that I wish for them to be embarrassed, but because I am squirming with curiosity as to who they are. I don't suppose you will divulge this information to the uneducated masses?

Sorry, I gave it a lot of thought and decided it was best not to.
Debate.org Moderator
Prodigenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 3:39:36 AM
Lol at the chimpanzee winning place as your VP.
Live for the present, for it is a gift.

I surveyed 100 women and asked them what shampoo they used when showering, 98 of them said: How the hell did you get in here?