Jump to topic:

Two things I don't get

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 10:42:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Since a lot of people do it, I thought I'd just ask why?

1. RFD in comments, when it's not a long RFD. I mean it gets buried, and if the person posts again in the comments it can effectively get lost.

2. Empty "VOTE ME" statements, at the end of otherwise good arguments. I get it if the person forfeited. I get summarizing matters. Yet seeing those two words at the end of arguments, just feels cheap.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 11:11:35 PM
At 5/17/2013 10:42:49 PM, Ragnar wrote:

1. RFD in comments, when it's not a long RFD. I mean it gets buried, and if the person posts again in the comments it can effectively get lost.

People only ever post their RFD in the comments if it doesn't fit in the RFD box. Otherwise that would be pointless. I've never seen a short RFD posted in the comments as opposed to the vote box

2. Empty "VOTE ME" statements, at the end of otherwise good arguments. I get it if the person forfeited. I get summarizing matters. Yet seeing those two words at the end of arguments, just feels cheap.

I've always disliked people who dedicated a part of their round to arguing why they should win the debate, its a waste of space imo. but if people want to say that at the end of their round, so be it.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 12:45:11 AM

I prefer posting rfd in the comments because the comments are permanent. That way your round analysis and ballot can't change once it has been cast, or if it does change there is a record of it. I view it is a method of preserving ballot integrity.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 12:52:31 AM

Sometimes I'll post my RFD in the comments just because it's easier to work around. You can see the entirety of your post while your typing it if it's in the comments, which I find helps to organize my thoughts sometimes.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 12:56:22 AM
I'm going to start saying "vote for (opposite side)" and see if people actually listen to it...

When I actually get around to debating something again that is...
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 1:08:06 AM
At 5/18/2013 12:56:22 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
I'm going to start saying "vote for (opposite side)" and see if people actually listen to it...

When I actually get around to debating something again that is...

I will refrain from logging onto DDO for a day if you actually do that.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 1:20:17 AM

I think it's probably a case of folks thinking their RFD will take more characters than it does. Pretty sure I've probably done this, myself, where I post my vote and just type "RFD in comments", because I have a point to make...then realize it's short and post as a comment anyway because I didn't think anyone would care.

Can you give an example of this?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 1:21:58 AM
At 5/18/2013 1:20:17 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I used to do this a lot like saying "Vote Pro." See my old debates for instance. In my recent ones, I stopped doing it.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 1:58:50 AM
At 5/18/2013 1:21:58 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 5/18/2013 1:20:17 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I used to do this a lot like saying "Vote Pro." See my old debates for instance. In my recent ones, I stopped doing it.

I'm looking for an example of what he's finding fault with, though, so I can understand it. I know you've said it. I have, too, on occasion.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 2:05:45 AM
I don't get why people see a summarization and asking for a vote at the end of a round as a bad thing. It's mostly just a good habit for actual speech debate so that at the tail-end of your round, you can summarize what you said in the round, then explain to the judge what it all means in the grand scheme of things, thus why (s)he should vote for you. If you do it in person, why not on here?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 2:08:13 AM

I like to mix it up and say things like "I urge you to vote for whoever the hell you want to".
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 2:11:41 AM
At 5/18/2013 2:05:45 AM, Zaradi wrote:
I don't get why people see a summarization and asking for a vote at the end of a round as a bad thing. It's mostly just a good habit for actual speech debate so that at the tail-end of your round, you can summarize what you said in the round, then explain to the judge what it all means in the grand scheme of things, thus why (s)he should vote for you. If you do it in person, why not on here?

Ignoring whatever weird etiquette is considered normal in live championship university debate things, it sounds desperate to plead to the audience to vote for you. If your argument is strong, they should vote for you; if not, not. Besides, everyone knows you want them to vote for you, unless otherwise stated.
Prodigenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 4:28:08 AM

It's because they are being babyish and irritating for the hell of it. :)

Who cares if it's cheap? If a very attractive member of the gender of your preference said "F*ck me big boy" wouldn't you prefer that to them saying nothing at all and you having to hope they were begging for it in their heads?
Live for the present, for it is a gift.

I surveyed 100 women and asked them what shampoo they used when showering, 98 of them said: How the hell did you get in here?
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 8:41:55 AM

That usually doesn't happen. But I'm guessing that when it does, it may be because the voter's RFD is shorter than they think it will be. Others may like the format of adding paragraphs into their RFDs, and still others may like the readability of an RFD in the comments compared to in the voting text box.

I hate those too. It's rude, and a waste of characters, but some people, mainly new members, think it's necessary to tell the voters how to vote.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 9:21:20 AM

I usually sum up why I've won for those new ones who just look at the pictures and keep scrolling. In case it was tl;dr.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 8:34:03 PM

I like prettyprinting. Paragraphs are important to me. Even a short RFD, if it has more than one paragraph, is likely to end up in the comments.

I help it not get lost by starting it off with, "RFD:"

I get confused a lot. I RFD for Con but vote for Pro because I can't keep them straight. A post that ends with "Vote Pro" or "Vote Con" is a big help. I offer the same help to readers of my debates as I like to get from other debaters.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 9:03:43 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, I understand it a lot better now.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...