How to write an RFD

MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 1:50:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/19/2013 1:35:01 PM, Raisor wrote:
These guys have a bunch of weird one sentence debates.

Well then I have a lot of votes to cast. brb.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 12:12:16 AM
Wow, way to make the most of very little.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 12:27:44 AM
As funny as that was, it's a bloody shame we have to give RFD on tied things to preempt complaints.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 1:13:34 AM
At 5/20/2013 12:27:44 AM, Ragnar wrote:
As funny as that was, it's a bloody shame we have to give RFD on tied things to preempt complaints.

I'm starting to favor an abolishment of the voting system all together. Just look at what it drove qopel to. It would be better if it was just rfds with no votes. People get fixated on their win ratio and just can't stand to lose. Kinda takes the fun out of it.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 1:21:32 AM
At 5/19/2013 1:57:45 PM, YYW wrote:
That is hilarious.

At 5/20/2013 12:12:16 AM, Magic8000 wrote:
Wow, way to make the most of very little.

As funny as that was...

Seems to me like a troll thread about a troll debate. What am I missing?
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 1:35:36 AM
At 5/20/2013 1:13:34 AM, Magic8000 wrote:

I'm starting to favor an abolishment of the voting system all together. Just look at what it drove qopel to. It would be better if it was just rfds with no votes. People get fixated on their win ratio and just can't stand to lose. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

I don't believing invoking Qopel really makes a case for anything. Look at what the existence of religion drove Izbo to...

There is a valid point here though, and perhaps we should allow no-voting to be an option on debates. Though I wouldn't be in favor of scrapping the system altogether. Voting is often flawed, but it also often provides feedback for the debaters who can then learn from it. We do have issues with voting and poor voting and I hope we can fix a lot of those problems, but I don't think removing it entirely is the solution.

In any case, members need to realize the most important aspect of the site is the debate itself and concentrate less on winning or losing. If they do lose (all things being fair) they should consider the flaws in either their resolution or in how they debated it. Without the voting/feedback structure, I feel members may never realize how they need to improve their debating abilities.
Debate.org Moderator
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 2:17:32 AM
Ahaha.

At 5/20/2013 1:35:36 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
There is a valid point here though, and perhaps we should allow no-voting to be an option on debates.

Yes, or, more appropriately, a "no winner" option.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 4:17:04 AM
At 5/20/2013 2:18:46 AM, FREEDO wrote:
That is, as an option for the voters. Not as a debate settings option.

Isn't the option of voting "tie" a viable "no-winner" option for voters?
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 4:26:43 AM
At 5/20/2013 4:17:04 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

someone else will vote.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 4:48:07 AM
At 5/20/2013 4:26:43 AM, Smithereens wrote:

someone else will vote.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Of course others can theoretically vote; I didn't think FREEDO meant to give every voter the option of voting "no winner" and that that would automatically declare the debate a tie and then lockdown the potential for anyone else voting. But I may be misunderstanding FREEDO and/or you.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 5:45:35 AM
At 5/20/2013 4:48:07 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

someone else will vote.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Of course others can theoretically vote; I didn't think FREEDO meant to give every voter the option of voting "no winner" and that that would automatically declare the debate a tie and then lockdown the potential for anyone else voting. But I may be misunderstanding FREEDO and/or you.

He means the option of preventing people from voting on your debate I'm pretty sure. Others have proposed this idea in the past, it is supposed to be for the fun of debating without the taints of the battles that can ensue with the voting feature.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 12:09:28 PM

I don't believing invoking Qopel really makes a case for anything. Look at what the existence of religion drove Izbo to...

There is a valid point here though, and perhaps we should allow no-voting to be an option on debates. Though I wouldn't be in favor of scrapping the system altogether. Voting is often flawed, but it also often provides feedback for the debaters who can then learn from it. We do have issues with voting and poor voting and I hope we can fix a lot of those problems, but I don't think removing it entirely is the solution.

In any case, members need to realize the most important aspect of the site is the debate itself and concentrate less on winning or losing. If they do lose (all things being fair) they should consider the flaws in either their resolution or in how they debated it. Without the voting/feedback structure, I feel members may never realize how they need to improve their debating abilities.

Yeah, maybe qopel wasn't a good example. A no voting debate option would be good. I know the aspect of what the win-lose system is suppose to do. The problem is some people just can't accept the fact they lost, so they blame the voters. There could still be rfds with a no voting debate, just with no points. This could get people to realize what's wrong with their arguments, because there's no win bias. I realize an abolishment of it would make all the work done on the system a meaningless time waste, which isn't good.

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 12:16:36 PM
perhaps we should allow no-voting to be an option on debates. Though I wouldn't be in favor of scrapping the system altogether.

I like this idea. Perhaps as a third option people could select when making debates, single point votes (as in one person = one vote, no categories).
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 12:55:08 PM

At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 12:55:42 PM
BTW, my sig has a "no voting" debate up for voting.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 1:56:52 PM

Agree. I started out 1-3, since then I have gone 35-1. Not that the record says it all, but the only reason I was able to turn that around is because of how annoyed I was after losing those debates. I started off blaming the voters, but then I started to see what they were saying and now have a much better understanding of how to debate.

You definitely learn a lot more from a loss then you do from a win. I still think I won that last one (as most debaters think), but now I can see what the voters saw and take that into consideration for future debates. I wouldn't have bothered if there were no votes, I would have just walked away thinking I was the sh1t.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 9:40:00 PM
At 5/20/2013 5:45:35 AM, Smithereens wrote:

someone else will vote.

He means the option of preventing people from voting on your debate I'm pretty sure. Others have proposed this idea in the past, it is supposed to be for the fun of debating without the taints of the battles that can ensue with the voting feature.

That's what Magic8000 and airmax mentioned, an option for the instigator of a debate to have no voting when the debate is done. As an option, I think this is a good idea.

But FREEDO said something about a "no winner" option for the voters, not a "no voters" option for the debaters. I'm not sure, though, what he means since voting "tie" seems to be a good enough "no winner" option for voters.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 1:10:58 AM
At 5/20/2013 9:40:00 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 5/20/2013 5:45:35 AM, Smithereens wrote:

someone else will vote.

That's what Magic8000 and airmax mentioned, an option for the instigator of a debate to have no voting when the debate is done. As an option, I think this is a good idea.

But FREEDO said something about a "no winner" option for the voters, not a "no voters" option for the debaters. I'm not sure, though, what he means since voting "tie" seems to be a good enough "no winner" option for voters.

I see what you mean, and I support this idea.