Jump to topic:

The Most Annoying Thing

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:31:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I find it annoying, puzzling and baffling how people often turn a debate into a debate about this first amendment. I am very confused as why people are relatively okay with this.

For example, some known person may be quoted saying an opinion like "I don't believe in gay marriage, I believe in gun rights, I believe women should not vote or I think taxes should increase on the wealthy". This known person may get criticized for their opinion. And a debate will ensue over if this person is in the right or wrong.

Surprisingly often, some guy will pipe up in defense saying "Hey guys, he has the right to say that and right to his opinion". ??? This is weird, because no one was arguing that he did not have first amendment rights, they were criticizing him for his opinion. People can be criticized for their opinion.

Sometimes the discussion will go on as "he has the 1st amendment right to say his opinion, as I have the right to say he is wrong for thinking so" Which is true. But still off topic. I find it really weird why this happens. I find this annoying. Why do people do this?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:41:24 PM
At 5/19/2013 4:31:29 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
I find it annoying, puzzling and baffling how people often turn a debate into a debate about this first amendment. I am very confused as why people are relatively okay with this.

For example, some known person may be quoted saying an opinion like "I don't believe in gay marriage, I believe in gun rights, I believe women should not vote or I think taxes should increase on the wealthy". This known person may get criticized for their opinion. And a debate will ensue over if this person is in the right or wrong.

Surprisingly often, some guy will pipe up in defense saying "Hey guys, he has the right to say that and right to his opinion". ??? This is weird, because no one was arguing that he did not have first amendment rights, they were criticizing him for his opinion. People can be criticized for their opinion.

Sometimes the discussion will go on as "he has the 1st amendment right to say his opinion, as I have the right to say he is wrong for thinking so" Which is true. But still off topic. I find it really weird why this happens. I find this annoying. Why do people do this?

When people internalize rebuttal as personal attack, their replies to that rebuttal tend to take the narrative you described. It's a result of usually some combination of a persecution complex, generalized intellectual/personal insecurity, and/or lack of ability to proffer a meaningful reply.

Reminds me of a Thatcher quote:

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left."
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:49:54 PM
More often than not, though, when I -in the preverbal sense- "rip apart" some stupid statement someone made on DDO, they tend to allege one of more of the following: (1) I'm being unnecessarily condescending, (2) that I'm being rude or (3) that I've insulted them, (4) that I'm being arrogant, (5) etc.

I think the reason is because most people aren't used to seeing responses like mine, because I let nothing go. I don't "compress" arguments and reply to the general conclusion. I start from the top and work my way down.

What's even worse is when people fvck with the meaning of words/concepts, or just flatly don't know what they're talking about and google terms with shitty definitions/explanations -I really hate correcting those deficiencies. I'd rather someone be ignorant than misinformed.

But above all, the most frustrating thing is when people think that they know more than they do about some subject they're ignorant of. It's the classic freshman/sophomore reaction. They'll read a selection of some philosophical secondary source, and then think that they're preeminent experts on some given subject area. More often than not, the people who know the most are often the ones who think they know the least -because they're aware of their own deficiencies in a subject area. Those most confident in their own intellectual preeminence are often the ones most likely to be wrong because they don't know what else is out there...

/end rant.
Tsar of DDO
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 8:30:52 PM
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left."

This is absolutely and unequivocally true. I am personally insulted and attacked constantly. Personal attacks are text book responses to those losing an argument. This is standard practice on DDO. Marginalize the individual as a human being so as to draw attention away from ones self and failing arguments. Bigotry and racism are used so often the words have no meaning anymore. They are just comical euphemisms used by indoctrinated political hacks. They have not one original thaught in their heads.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%