Jump to topic:

I lost this debate due to votebomb

orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 11:04:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Last time I checked this debate there was one vote on it, which was a perfectly valid vote.

http://www.debate.org...

I've now lost this debate - literally at the last minute, with less than 24 hours of the voting period remaining - due to an openly unjustified votebomb by lindseyloo92.

I'm not suggesting I deserved to win this debate. But there is no way that I deserved to have it sabotaged right at the last minute by votebomb.

I don't know what standard practice is here, as the voting period is closed and all.
What should I do?
I'm back (ish).
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 11:06:56 AM
At 5/20/2013 11:04:52 AM, orangemayhem wrote:
Last time I checked this debate there was one vote on it, which was a perfectly valid vote.

I've now lost this debate - literally at the last minute, with less than 24 hours of the voting period remaining - due to an openly unjustified votebomb by lindseyloo92.

I'm not suggesting I deserved to win this debate. But there is no way that I deserved to have it sabotaged right at the last minute by votebomb.

I don't know what standard practice is here, as the voting period is closed and all.
What should I do?

Shake your fist at the heavens. That's kind of a bummer :/
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 11:11:27 AM
Had we known sooner, it could have been countered. As it was within the final 24 hours, and not literally last minute (or hour), it's not as horrible as it found looks (still horrible).

I suggest reporting the person, and quoting their vote.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 11:12:21 AM
I would challenge her to a debate on it, but being new to the site I'm not sure it would be a brilliant idea. Fairly certain it violates the TOS though.
I'm back (ish).
lindseyloo92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 2:02:15 AM
I feel like everyone's vote should count. Demeaning someone's opinion as a vote bomb when their opinion is perfectly valid is sort of otherizing. I feel attacked.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 2:08:22 AM
At 5/21/2013 2:02:15 AM, lindseyloo92 wrote:
I feel like everyone's vote should count. Demeaning someone's opinion as a vote bomb when their opinion is perfectly valid is sort of otherizing. I feel attacked.

You feel your opinion "Ardenwa is smexxi and fine." is valid in an RFD giving 7 points in a debate titled "This House would abolish the British monarchy".?
Debate.org Moderator
lindseyloo92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 2:15:25 AM
It's typically my policy to inject some levity with frivolous RFDs and respond to debaters' queries directly via private message so that their future opponents' can't pick out their weak areas by reading my RFDs. That's pretty well known around here, I really wish I had been contacted personally about this matter before being publicly torched for it.
Ardenwa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 2:39:01 AM
Debate is defined as to be hotly argued. I think Orange and I did that. The ToS never says what the rfd must decide. It cannot be said that someones vote is inadequate merely because you cannot comprehend the complex, or simple, logic behind it. In fact, you are creating a system of poor debate by preventing people from expressing their true opinions. In the real world, debate are often decided by who is "smexxi"-er. I feel unfortunate for my opponent that he was not smexxi enough, but what else is there to expect from a limey? Jk. The JFK-Nixon election was decided because people though Nixon was sweaty. If you do not allow for the realest experience at DDO, then you are hindering the education, progress, and quality of debate in America, dare I say the world. So I make a resounding shame on you for perpetuating a faerie tale debate system. Debate is logic, but it is also an art. If you stick completely to logic, then you lose the art. Then, sir, you only leave me with tears in my eyes, sorrow in my soul, and a mess of regurgitated lexical vomit at my feet. If that is a world you want, then I wish only 1,000 shames upon you.
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 8:04:26 AM
At 5/21/2013 2:15:25 AM, lindseyloo92 wrote:
It's typically my policy to inject some levity with frivolous RFDs and respond to debaters' queries directly via private message so that their future opponents' can't pick out their weak areas by reading my RFDs. That's pretty well known around here, I really wish I had been contacted personally about this matter before being publicly torched for it.

I've only been at DDO a month so "oh, well it's well-known that I do this" is not a valid argument. Equally I probably would have chased you up on it before 'torching' you, if you hadn't waited until the last 24 hours so I had no time to find a counter votebomb.
I'm back (ish).
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 8:19:16 AM
At 5/20/2013 11:04:52 AM, orangemayhem wrote:

What should I do?

Perhaps challenge her or leave the matter. There is really nothing else you can do. People hold their own opinions and more than often or not, such am strong belief wouldn't be receptive to any rational arguments....