Jump to topic:

Short Debates > Long Debates

Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 2:40:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Short debates are easier for the voters to read and potentially require more skill from the debaters given that they are forced to shorten their compact their arguments down into a nice and presentable message. At the end of the day, the debates are bout persuading others rather than vomiting out everything you know with a 15 page thesis.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 2:45:17 PM
Sounds about right to me. Now that I lowered the lengths of my debates down to an average of 3 rounds, I no longer have a voting problem :P
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 4:37:33 PM
At 5/20/2013 2:40:45 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
At the end of the day, the debates are bout persuading others rather than vomiting out everything you know with a 15 page thesis.

I second the comment about vomiting.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 4:56:58 PM
LM, like myself, comes from the original generation of debaters which enjoyed much simpler debates. When they expanded them and pretty much required sourcing for everything, it became too time-intensive and I pretty much stopped. I've complained about the lack of conciseness on here for years, but nobody really cares :P
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 8:49:14 PM
At 5/20/2013 6:20:32 PM, G6 wrote:
Technically speaking, this is mathematically false.

Alright, I'll bite. How, mathematically, is this false?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 8:56:17 PM
At 5/20/2013 8:49:14 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 5/20/2013 6:20:32 PM, G6 wrote:
Technically speaking, this is mathematically false.

Alright, I'll bite. How, mathematically, is this false?

Short debates are shorter then long debates so how can short debates be greater than long debates?.... Hes referring to the title.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 3:20:01 AM
Short debates are easier for the voters to read and potentially require more skill from the debaters given that they are forced to shorten their compact their arguments down into a nice and presentable message. At the end of the day, the debates are bout persuading others rather than vomiting out everything you know with a 15 page thesis.

Yer preaching to the choir.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 2:25:13 PM

Words from the wise.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 3:06:16 PM

Would you expect anyone to be truly persuaded by a 1,000 character debate? Or would you expect them to become interested, so that they would actually look into the matter and then make that decision?

A longer debate facilitates the research process for any reader that has the attention span to stomach it.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 4:05:49 PM
At 5/21/2013 3:06:16 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Would you expect anyone to be truly persuaded by a 1,000 character debate?

Rarely do I expect anyone to be truly persuaded by an 8000 character debate. What I can, however, expect is that determining a winner would be much easier under a 1,000 character debate than it would be under an 8,000. Takes less time and debaters are forced tell voters what exactly it is they are saying without all of the padding and BS.

A longer debate facilitates the research process for any reader that has the attention span to stomach it.

By all means, you're welcome to have long debates and facilitate research to the best of your ability. I'm simply providing a means to get more voters into reading your debates in the first place. Most readers have neither the time nor interest to read a super long essay, especially without proper incentive. Frankly, I don't blame them. There's more to life than DDO.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 7:08:02 PM
At 5/21/2013 4:05:49 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
At 5/21/2013 3:06:16 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Would you expect anyone to be truly persuaded by a 1,000 character debate?

Rarely do I expect anyone to be truly persuaded by an 8000 character debate. What I can, however, expect is that determining a winner would be much easier under a 1,000 character debate than it would be under an 8,000. Takes less time and debaters are forced tell voters what exactly it is they are saying without all of the padding and BS.

By all means, you're welcome to have long debates and facilitate research to the best of your ability. I'm simply providing a means to get more voters into reading your debates in the first place. Most readers have neither the time nor interest to read a super long essay, especially without proper incentive. Frankly, I don't blame them. There's more to life than DDO.

I just want to state that I also prefer shorter debates generally.

However, if the two debaters are intelligent and are known for making complex arguments, I would not mind at all that they be given enough space and time to truly flesh out a worth case.

Otherwise, the shorter debates are little more than just starting points to pique one's interest, and in themselves don't convey any meaningful information.

It typically takes me an hour to parse through a 4 round 8,000 character debate and leave my tl;dr comments. That's far less time than I would spend on anything worthy of a week-long reading assignment in a typical college course, and for the better debates tend to be far more informative and far less myopic in nature.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
SuicidalManiac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 6:54:12 PM
Short debates are easier for the voters to read

Depend son the font and many other variables.

and potentially require more skill from the debaters given that they are forced to shorten their compact their arguments down into a nice and presentable message.

This isn't more skill, it's just a different skill to waffling.

At the end of the day, the debates are bout persuading others rather than vomiting out everything you know with a 15 page thesis.

Prove it.