Jump to topic:

DDO Needs an overhaul

doubter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:06:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
First of all, I don't consider airmax1227 an adequate moderator. He spends time taking down single round debates, yet he
lets things like vote bombs and people impersonating DDO presidents go unpunished. If single round debates are such a big
problem, why are they even allowed to be set up? It makes no sense!

Now, I want to address the vote bombing issue, which I consider a major problem with DDO. I hear so many people scream about
keeping the "integrity" of DDO in tact. Well, Counter Vote Bombing isn't the answer. It's band-aid on a broken bone.
First of all, every counter vote bomb is a wasted vote that should be used voting on the content of the debate.
Two wrongs don't make a right, and two vote bombs that "cancel" each other out is not right.

Recently, there was a user named "qopel" that many people didn't
like, and as a result he was vote bombed frequently. Now, the way DDO is set up, you have a right to award a conduct point
to an opponent, if you don't like the conduct of a particular person. That's ONE point, not SEVEN. So, to all of you
who care about the "integrity" of DDO, yet used a vote bomb to "punish" Qopel for not acting exactly the way you
wanted him to, all I have to say is SHAME ON YOU!

I did an experiment and I want to share the results. Qopel had a debate that nobody voted on called "I make the Claim
That a God exists" http://www.debate.org...
I read the debate and made a legitimate vote on it. I gave a single vote to qopel for conduct, based on his opponent
telling voters how to vote. I think it's up to the voters to decide and the opponents shouldn't go telling potential
voters how to vote. In any case, it wasn't a vote bomb. It was only a single point with an explanation in the RVD.
No sooner did I cast that vote, jh1234l took it upon himself to "Counter Vote" my vote.
I have to ask: Would jh1234l have come to that debate and made a legitimate vote based on the content of the debate?
I highly doubt it, since his only reason for voting at all was to "Counter Vote" a legitimate vote, in order to
keep qopel from winning. That's what I call a HATE VOTE. It's a vote to suppress a person from winning based
on a personal hate for a debater.

This same user, jh1234l, did the exact same thing again on another or Qopel's debates.(Atheism is the default position)
http://www.debate.org...
Not a single user voted on that debate for almost a month, yet the moment I put votes up for qopel, jh1234l, rushed over
to the debate so that he can throw his "Counter" hate Votes at qopel in order to stop him from winning.

This particular debate has been riddled with vote bombs and counter vote bombs to begin with, to the point where it's
almost impossible to figure out what is going on anymore with the votes there. There are actually people
counter voting counter votes, which proves my point that counter votes are not the solution to the vote bombing
problem on DDO. This debate should have been taken down by now as it was requested to airmax1227. It has been poisoned
by vote bombs and serves no purpose on DDO, yet airmax1227 says he just hasn't gotten around to it. He got around to
taking down single round votes he claims are "spam", though. Go figure.

Another DDO problem I'd like to address is the way new users are treated on DDO. Instead of welcoming new users
and helping them get started with DDO, experienced users put them down and use them as easy ways to collect wins.
Case in point: I started a debate called "The world is doomed". http://www.debate.org...
A user named Ragnar who has a 100% win record, jumped on the opportunity to grab and easy win and protect his perfect record.
He could have debated somebody else with similar experience and skill level.
Not only did he ignore the rules of only using the first round for acceptance, he ended up posting a picture
of the world the way it would look doomed. Did I win the debate? Of course not. As a mater of fact, the
first two voters Vote Bombed the debate in favor of Ragnar....and people wonder why debaters like qopel
get upset and frustrated with DDO.

Yes, Qopel did get upset and frustrated, and if you look closely, he had a right to be. In his debate,
"Is Science Compatible with Religion" http://www.debate.org...
He graciously admitted defeat due to his opponent getting him on a technicality using semantics.
It proves Qopel knows how to lose graciously. There are several debates that qopel had won,
(when he wasn't vote bombed), which proves he does know how to debate and win, when treated fairly.
For example: http://www.debate.org...

Another new user, hereiam2005 wrote: "If newbies are such disgusting creatures to you "old guards",
I guess DDO does not welcome my existence here at all."
This harassment of new users needs to stop.

I'm asking DDO President, airmax1227, to take charge and keep the integrity of DDO by:
1. Protecting new users from attacks by experienced users.
2. Not tolerating vote bombs at all and stop the use of counter vote bombs as a remedy for vote bombs.
If people lost their voting privileges for vote bombing, they would think twice before vote
bombing again. Counter vote bombing has just let an epidemic of vote bombs occur and does not protect
the integrity of DDO. I know it might take WORK to stop the vote bombs, but isn't that what moderators are for?

Now, if you haven't guessed, I am, in fact qopel himself. I came here because I wanted to have intelligent
debates using demonstrable facts. Instead, I got hammered with smart acting long-time users who use tricks,
semantics, vote bombs and other means to get a win. So, for the sake of the integrity of DDO, I ask you
long time, users: Do you want cheap wins or do you want the integrity of DDO? This website only works
if we all cooperate to make it work. If you want it to be just a place to beat up on new users and
rack up wins using anything but facts, go ahead. However, DDO could really be a great place to learn
and get along if we got rid of the vote bombs and tried to win debates by using real demonstrable facts.

Thanks for reading.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:10:28 AM
At 5/21/2013 12:06:45 AM, doubter wrote:
I'm asking DDO President, airmax1227, to take charge and keep the integrity of DDO by:
1. Protecting new users from attacks by experienced users.

So, essentially you're asking to have the account you posted this from closed.

Cool.

Btw... you have no idea what you're talking about.
Tsar of DDO
doubter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:13:35 AM
I'm asking to have DDO overhauled so everyone, including new users can use it.
Your post just proves me right.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:21:21 AM
At 5/21/2013 12:13:35 AM, doubter wrote:

LOL

The information you know, you would only know if you were formerly an active member of the site -and you would only have posted it if you had a grudge against Airmax -meaning that you must have been a member of this site who was disgruntled. I'm guessing a recent one.

That narrows it down pretty tightly, as to the options.

So, it's likely that either you were banned before or you're multi-accounting now -which is a violation of the TOS itself if you've been banned and returned OR if you have multiple open accounts.

As such, what needs to happen is not that anything about DDO needs to change -but that you need to follow the rules.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:28:51 AM
Oh look Qopel is back, someone go get the WAAAAAA-mbulance before he gets in a pissy mood
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:32:06 AM
Now, if you haven't guessed, I am, in fact qopel himself. I came here because I wanted to have intelligent

Multi-accounts, to do last minute decisive votebombs in his own favor.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:33:43 AM
At 5/21/2013 12:32:06 AM, Ragnar wrote:

LOL

Qopel is like a puppy that urinates in the floor and can't seem to be housebroken.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:37:55 AM
At 5/21/2013 12:33:43 AM, YYW wrote:

LOL

Qopel is like a puppy that urinates in the floor and can't seem to be housebroken.

Comparing Qopel to an un-potty trained puppy is an insult to the intelligence of un-potty trained puppies....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:38:49 AM
At 5/21/2013 12:21:21 AM, YYW wrote:

LOL

The information you know, you would only know if you were formerly an active member of the site -and you would only have posted it if you had a grudge against Airmax -meaning that you must have been a member of this site who was disgruntled. I'm guessing a recent one.

So, it's likely that either you were banned before or you're multi-accounting now -which is a violation of the TOS itself if you've been banned and returned OR if you have multiple open accounts.

As such, what needs to happen is not that anything about DDO needs to change -but that you need to follow the rules.

WTF, YYW?

No concern for the vote bombing that obviously happens here?

1st Qopel is a jerk, and I didn't miss him, even though I'm very agnostic and would have loved to see an intelligent atheist stay on the site, just as I really enjoy the intelligent theists. What good is a debate site where there aren't intelligent people to disagree with?

I didn't read all of this person's complaint, but anyone who thinks DDO ain't at least a little broke, IMHO ain't paying attention.

No disrespect. :D
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:45:31 AM
At 5/21/2013 12:37:55 AM, imabench wrote:
At 5/21/2013 12:33:43 AM, YYW wrote:

LOL

Comparing Qopel to an un-potty trained puppy is an insult to the intelligence of un-potty trained puppies....

Well... the last time I checked dogs don't normally use toilets -but I agree with what you're saying nevertheless.
Tsar of DDO
doubter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:47:27 AM
Keep acting like jerks and putting me down like you always have been doing. It only proves my point about how you bully people. Keep it up.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:47:33 AM
At 5/21/2013 12:38:49 AM, proglib wrote:
At 5/21/2013 12:21:21 AM, YYW wrote:

LOL

WTF, YYW?

No concern for the vote bombing that obviously happens here?

1st Qopel is a jerk, and I didn't miss him, even though I'm very agnostic and would have loved to see an intelligent atheist stay on the site, just as I really enjoy the intelligent theists. What good is a debate site where there aren't intelligent people to disagree with?

I didn't read all of this person's complaint, but anyone who thinks DDO ain't at least a little broke, IMHO ain't paying attention.

No disrespect. :D

When Qopel was actually vote bombed, it was countered. What he calls a vote bomb was almost always no more than someone who gave him a loss -whether they gave a substantial RFD or otherwise.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:49:57 AM
At 5/21/2013 12:47:27 AM, doubter wrote:
Keep acting like jerks and putting me down like you always have been doing. It only proves my point about how you bully people. Keep it up.

Do you really think I feel sorry for you after the way you acted under your old account? Now, you're trying to make yourself the victim of the site to gain acceptance within a site that all but excommunicated you for being a troll.

Advice:

Accept responsibility for the fact that you fvcked up last time, and move on. Close this account, and come back anonymously if you want a fresh start. Don't act like a petulant child screams in a restaurant for attention.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:56:02 AM
At 5/21/2013 12:53:55 AM, doubter wrote:
Keep it up. I love when you prove me right.

So, whenever anyone says anything that you disagree with, they're bullying you? Just like whenever anyone gives you a loss, its a votebomb at your expense?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:57:59 AM
At 5/21/2013 12:56:49 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 5/21/2013 12:53:55 AM, doubter wrote:
Keep it up. I love when you prove me right.

What things most hurt your feelings?

Well, everything I say to begin with.
Tsar of DDO
doubter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:58:52 AM
Calling me names and making fun of me isn't "Disagreeing with me".
Keep it up.
Your Lord of the Flies bully war continues...and you keep proving it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 1:01:25 AM
At 5/21/2013 12:58:52 AM, doubter wrote:
Keep it up.

So do please detail the extent to which we have all bullied you.
Tsar of DDO
doubter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 1:04:18 AM
I don't have to. It's all here. The name calling, the insults, the nonsense "petition" to get rid of me...Keep it up.

I put up a legitimate post to help save the integrity of DDO and this is what you bullies do in response.

Keep it up. The more the better....for me.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 1:05:45 AM
At 5/21/2013 1:04:18 AM, doubter wrote:
I don't have to. It's all here. The name calling, the insults, the nonsense "petition" to get rid of me...Keep it up.

I put up a legitimate post to help save the integrity of DDO and this is what you bullies do in response.

Dude. Chill out and boogie.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 1:05:56 AM
At 5/21/2013 1:01:25 AM, YYW wrote:
Keep it up.

Well for starters, the people he debated against picked on his arguments with their arguments. Then the voters voted on the presented cases, instead of "the facts." Oh and some "cheaters" did not vote enough in his favor.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 1:06:55 AM
At 5/21/2013 1:04:18 AM, doubter wrote:

So you want to be victimized?

Do you dream of DDO martyrdom, Qopel?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 1:07:13 AM
At 5/21/2013 1:05:56 AM, Ragnar wrote:
At 5/21/2013 1:01:25 AM, YYW wrote:
Keep it up.

Well for starters, the people he debated against picked on his arguments with their arguments. Then the voters voted on the presented cases, instead of "the facts." Oh and some "cheaters" did not vote enough in his favor.

We're all horrible people, indeed.
Tsar of DDO
doubter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 1:08:03 AM
You know Ragnor...why don't you just keep out of this...still got your 100% win record? I can see how.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 1:08:56 AM
At 5/21/2013 1:08:03 AM, doubter wrote:
You know Ragnor...why don't you just keep out of this...still got your 100% win record? I can see how.

O.o
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 1:10:43 AM
At 5/21/2013 1:09:45 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Perhaps a mood shift is in order:

I was thinking of adding Qopel to a DDO set of Cards Against Humanity.
Tsar of DDO