Jump to topic:

WHY ARE THEIR SO FEW DEBATEs!?!?!?!

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 10:50:09 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
The n00bs usually create challenges. They are in short supply at the moment.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 10:55:22 PM
I'll be reposting mine on agricultural taxation tomorrow. So far I've only gotten noobs who constantly forfeit.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 7:51:38 AM
Because people like you misspell the word "There" as "Their", then we set up a semantic argument, you baaaawwww and we win.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 10:20:48 AM
At 11/29/2009 7:51:38 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Because people like you misspell the word "There" as "Their", then we set up a semantic argument, you baaaawwww and we win.

The word "then" is not a coordinating conjunction.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 10:24:12 AM
At 11/29/2009 10:20:48 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 11/29/2009 7:51:38 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

The word "then" is not a coordinating conjunction.

On second thought, the "then" isn't necessarily grammatically wrong, but then you need a coordinating conjunction between "argument" and "you" after the comma.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 10:43:20 AM
At 11/28/2009 10:50:09 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Yes, and that's annoying. They come here to get people to critique their arguments for RL debates, or worse, have us write their debates for them. I hate it. If I see one more fugging debate about compulsory immunizations, championing poverty vs. environmental resources, or taking standardized tests to graduate... GRRUGHGRR. I wouldn't be opposed to posting new challenges, but I'm already involved in a few debates. Plus, I have a few that I'm waiting to go with Ragnar once his game ends. I think people need to watch the news to gain inspiration for debates, debate things other than the big issues, or mayhaps bring some of the forum discussion to debate. I would love to bring the forum discussions to debate if they were like 2-rounders.
President of DDO
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 10:44:28 AM
Lol at 90% of my debates
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 11:56:32 AM
Perhaps it is because:
a. All the veteran members have been on here long enough to have few new debate topics left;

b. The newcomers tend to post one debate, forfeit in the middle, and leave;

and/or

c. it's the middle of the semester, and many people are in class all day.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
resolutionsmasher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 2:36:21 PM
it's thanksgiving weekend and no body is in school, so everybody is sitting at home. Just cause someone is new to the site does not mean that they are not very skilled at debate. There are some members on this site who are awful debaters and have been here for a very long time. They just come for the forums. there is also visa-versa.
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 4:53:23 PM
At 11/29/2009 2:36:21 PM, resolutionsmasher wrote:
it's thanksgiving weekend and no body is in school, so everybody is sitting at home.

Not necessarily. Nature abhors a vacuum; a long weekend like Thanksgiving tends to attract the work that we've put off the rest of the year for lack of time; as well as providing many people the opportunity to travel. Either way, the perceived "extra time" is illusory.

Just cause someone is new to the site does not mean that they are not very skilled at debate. There are some members on this site who are awful debaters and have been here for a very long time. They just come for the forums. there is also visa-versa.

This is true, but you missed my point. My intent was not a gratuitous attack on the skill of n00bs; why should I attack myself? I was merely pointing out the lack of debate topics may be because the most active members on here have already debated most of the obvious topics (and many obscure ones!).
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Add Post
Forum Moderator

11/29/2009 5:08:49 PM
At 11/29/2009 10:43:20 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Yes, and that's annoying. They come here to get people to critique their arguments for RL debates, or worse, have us write their debates for them. I hate it. If I see one more fugging debate about compulsory immunizations, championing poverty vs. environmental resources, or taking standardized tests to graduate... GRRUGHGRR. I wouldn't be opposed to posting new challenges, but I'm already involved in a few debates. Plus, I have a few that I'm waiting to go with Ragnar once his game ends. I think people need to watch the news to gain inspiration for debates, debate things other than the big issues, or mayhaps bring some of the forum discussion to debate. I would love to bring the forum discussions to debate if they were like 2-rounders.

Nice profane replacement (fugging)! Flocking is my substitute of choice, but I like yours as well. Carry on.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 5:10:39 PM
At 11/29/2009 5:08:49 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:

Nice profane replacement (fugging)! Flocking is my substitute of choice, but I like yours as well. Carry on.

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 5:14:41 PM
At 11/29/2009 5:10:39 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing. Is that an implicit warning not to use substitute words or is it a "hey substitute words are fine by me, that made me laugh"

ddofans.com
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 5:16:35 PM
At 11/29/2009 5:14:41 PM, johngriswald wrote:
At 11/29/2009 5:10:39 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing. Is that an implicit warning not to use substitute words or is it a "hey substitute words are fine by me, that made me laugh"

After reading it over again, I'm leaning towards the latter. Phil, are words like "fugging" ok?

While we're on the subject, I often say "f*cking" or something similar. Is that ok?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
kalyse020908
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 7:45:01 PM

There is nothing wrong with using this site as an instrument for studies outside of this website. It is a good tool for students to learn proper format, how to prove arguments etc. Due to the fact I have started a debate based on an assignment, I know first hand that it helps you think. If it is any consolation, I used nothing that was said by my opponent on my debate.
silntwaves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2009 8:28:42 AM
You guys have to face the fact. The site has been up for about a year..its gonna have to die down eventually..and if it cant stay up for longer..well you know.
Nick Jonas And The Administration
-What I Am.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2009 3:35:12 PM
At 12/1/2009 8:28:42 AM, silntwaves wrote:
You guys have to face the fact. The site has been up for about a year..its gonna have to die down eventually..and if it cant stay up for longer..well you know.

Actually, the site has been open for a little more than two years.