Jump to topic:

Cross-examination

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 11:19:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
CX is a very important part of debate that simply isn't implemented on DDO. A long time ago some member (Wjm I think)suggested some kind of optional chat-box the debaters can ask/answer questions in. Perhaps at set times, perhaps not perhaps real time or perhaps not but I feel its a key part of debate to find holes in your opponents reasoning without accidentally strawmanning and for clarification. I think its definitely something juggle should look at. What does everyone else think?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 11:22:25 PM
At 5/23/2013 11:19:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
CX is a very important part of debate that simply isn't implemented on DDO. A long time ago some member (Wjm I think)suggested some kind of optional chat-box the debaters can ask/answer questions in. Perhaps at set times, perhaps not perhaps real time or perhaps not but I feel its a key part of debate to find holes in your opponents reasoning without accidentally strawmanning and for clarification. I think its definitely something juggle should look at. What does everyone else think?

While I like the idea, I don't know how practical it is unless chat records could be recorded and posted.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 11:23:06 PM
At 5/23/2013 11:22:25 PM, YYW wrote:

While I like the idea, I don't know how practical it is unless chat records could be recorded and posted.

They would be my bad. Meant to post that everyone could read them.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 11:28:13 PM
At 5/23/2013 11:23:06 PM, thett3 wrote:

That's what I'm saying though. Cross-ex would need to take place in real time via an online "chat" type format and their record would need to show up between rounds.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 11:29:31 PM
At 5/23/2013 11:28:13 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/23/2013 11:23:06 PM, thett3 wrote:

That's what I'm saying though. Cross-ex would need to take place in real time via an online "chat" type format and their record would need to show up between rounds.

Then it should. Like I said it should be completely optional and there should probably be a limited number of questions. I just love CX
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 11:41:20 PM
I completely agree. For now, CX in comments is a good idea. I would favor juggle implementing "CX rounds" in debates in addition to regular rounds. The CS rounds would have a much shorter time span (2 minutes per response maybe?) and the debaters would do it at a pre-agreed upon time.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 6:18:45 AM

I would like this as well, but I think it should be totally optional because otherwise debaters in one country/timezone might have difficulty debating members in other timezones.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 11:16:18 AM
At 5/23/2013 11:41:20 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I completely agree. For now, CX in comments is a good idea. I would favor juggle implementing "CX rounds" in debates in addition to regular rounds. The CS rounds would have a much shorter time span (2 minutes per response maybe?) and the debaters would do it at a pre-agreed upon time.

I think this would be the main problem for implementation. What kind of time frame would you allow for this CX? A long debate can already take upwards of 2 weeks to complete. And what if the opponent did not respond to a CX round? Would this be a forfeiture too?

Otherwise, yeah, agree with OP, sounds like a good idea.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 3:30:47 PM
I think cross examination is a great idea. I would prefer to see it done in the rounds, though.

Without any further formatting, I think the best way to do it is just to designate rounds like so:

Round 1a: Pro asks Con five questions.
Round 1b: Con answers Pro's questions. Con asks Pro five questions.
Round 2a: Pro answers Con's questions.
Round 2b: Con writes, "This space intentionally left blank."

Since Round 1b requires Con to both answer and ask questions, which takes up more characters, some rules could be established to make things fair.

1. Questions must be questions, and not opportunities to smuggle in arguments by long elaborate set ups.
2. Answers must be succinct. Some explanation is allowed, but be reasonable. You can expand and explain in subsequent rounds.
3. Questions must not be multiple part questions, smuggling more than one question into a question.
4. Answers must directly address the question and not elaborate on what you assume is the intention behind the question. In other words, don't debate with the argument you think is behind the question; just answer the question directly.

We might need more rounds to do this, though.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle