Jump to topic:

Edit for Perspective

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 3:03:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
It goes without saying that DDO has seen a considerable amount of drama as of late. It equally goes without saying that the drama we have seen is only so because of the irrationality of those who partook in it. Without naming names, we've seen the reappearance of several figures who for various reasons have been banned from the site. I'll be the first to admit that I have surely been a part of that process, but now, let us take a moment to reflect.

This is fundamentally an online community purposed for and predicated upon the exchange of ideas. More than that, we've become friends as we've come to know one another through interactions in the forums, as some of us have made really cool videos about the site and its members, and as we've learned from each other along the way. But summer is upon us, and we have a choice to make.

The choice we have to make is this: do we want this summer to be productive, or filled with drama. It's not that I hate drama, or that I even dislike it -but I recognize as I think most of us do that there are better things we could be doing. What are they? Playing mafia, starting new -interesting- debates in the challenge section and posting challenging questions about issues, values, ideals and principles that affect our lives and the lives of those we care about. Is gossip juicy? Yes -but gossip is like Belgian waffles; delicious when chewed and swallowed but it just leaves you hungry an hour later. Debates aren't like that. Debates are substantive. Debates matter. Gossip/drama is fleeting. Debates are like steaks on a friday night. Think about it. So, let's minimize the gossip/drama -because it's nonsense.

Let's instead tackle something bolder. Let's figure out how long it will take for the Republicans to blow the lid on the latest IRS scandal. Let's talk about Benghazi. Let's talk about Syria, debate education policy, talk about bitcoins, fret over the coming battle regarding net neutrality, figure out how terrorist attacks can be prevented, hope that Jodi Arias is put before a firing squad, argue for moral theories, and lambast the tea party -or not.

Summer is upon us, DDO. We can become a site with all the value of a grocery store tabloid, or we can continue to challenge ideas, defend principles, and debate policy as the most elite debate site on the net.

Post ideas below for the most important topics to discuss. Important topics are the topics that matter to you, which you or those you care about are connected to, which you have a stake in, which you have a view of. Let's hear it, DDO!

(1) Scandals in Obama's administration
(2) Syria
(3) Benghazi
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10)

You guys fill in the rest!
Tsar of DDO
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 3:26:12 AM
(2) Syria
(3) Benghazi
(4) Powerlifting vs. Bodybuilding
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10)

>:(
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:26:26 PM
Well, I'd love to have a botany-related debate, but most would rather watch paint dry. I lieu of that...

(2) Syria
(3) Benghazi
(4) Free Speech
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10)
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:30:42 PM
(2) Syria
(3) Benghazi
(4) Free Speech
(5) The Gosnell trial and it's implications for the pro-choice/pro-life debate.
(6)
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10)
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
flaskblob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:33:57 PM
At 5/24/2013 4:30:42 PM, philochristos wrote:
(2) Syria
(3) Benghazi
(4) Free Speech
(6) NSA and FBI downloading all data online, using a supercomputer system in Utah to break the encryption and running anti-government algorithms on all online communication.
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10)
Of course I'm using those fallacies; they're the only logical ones." - f3ffy
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:36:32 PM
At 5/24/2013 4:33:01 PM, TameHumanoid wrote:
Is there a reason that RyuuKyuzo's concern was ignored?

(2) Syria
(3) Benghazi
(4) Powerlifting vs. Bodybuilding
(5) Free Speech
(6) The Gosnell trial and it's implications for the pro-choice/pro-life debate.
(7) NSA and FBI downloading all data online, using a supercomputer system in Utah to break the encryption and running anti-government algorithms on all online communication.
(8)
(9)
(10)

Sorry, honest mistake on my part!
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:37:53 PM
At 5/24/2013 4:33:57 PM, flaskblob wrote:
(2) Syria
(3) Benghazi
(4) Free Speech
(6) NSA and FBI downloading all data online, using a supercomputer system in Utah to break the encryption and running anti-government algorithms on all online communication.
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10)

Your name makes me think of askbob.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:41:21 PM
At 5/24/2013 4:37:53 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

It does me too... lol
Tsar of DDO
flaskblob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:42:23 PM
(2) Syria
(3) Benghazi
(4) Free Speech
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10)

Airmax told me about him and said he had the same concern. Looks like i picked the wrong username to get started on this site with. Is there a way to edit the name?
Of course I'm using those fallacies; they're the only logical ones." - f3ffy
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:43:06 PM
At 5/24/2013 4:41:21 PM, YYW wrote:

It does me too... lol

It would be really funny if he actually is askbob and we've prematurely discovered more source for drama.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:43:35 PM
At 5/24/2013 4:42:23 PM, flaskblob wrote:
(2) Syria
(3) Benghazi
(4) Free Speech
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10)

Airmax told me about him and said he had the same concern. Looks like i picked the wrong username to get started on this site with. Is there a way to edit the name?

There isn't without creating a new account, but no worries.
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 5:39:50 PM
(2) Syria
(3) Benghazi
(4) Free Speech
(7) Moral relativism
(8)
(9)
(10)