Jump to topic:

DDO voter of the week competition!!!

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:07:51 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
It is dis heartening to see all these topics and posts being created talking about the decrease in voting tendencies. Well this is my attempt to fix it, though in order for this to work it will require full participation.

We are now having a voter of the week competition. The goal for each participant will to vote on at least five debates!! Just five! That's less than one debate a day for a week to vote on. I don't expect everyone to hit this goal, but the point is for each of us to try. There will be two awards given out from this competition.

1. Best voter award. People will vote in a poll who they thought provided the best RFDs.

2. Most detailed votes award. These votes will need to be well.detailed and explained to qualify. One person can earn both awards.

For this competition we need at least 5 people though more than 5 is definitely welcome.

There will be no losers in this competitions and everyone will be recognized for their voting contributions.
If you have read this thread, and have ever put time and effort into a debate just to get very few votes, than you owe it to yourself and the community to sign up for this competition.

This competition starts as soon as at least 5 people join.

1. TUF

Let's do this, game on!
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 6:12:42 AM
At 5/24/2013 5:54:50 AM, larztheloser wrote:
I'm joining.

A brave and valiant soul joins the cause!

1. TUF
2. Larztheloser
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 6:48:03 AM
Who else will pledge their alliegance to the voting crusade for the ultimate honor of being pronounced the weeks best voter?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:08:43 PM
I think we need a couple of rules to make this competition better.

1. Votes on forfeited debates don't count (because they don't require much of an RFD).

2. You can't write the RFD in the comment section (because that's like cheating the word limit).
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:18:00 PM
At 5/24/2013 1:08:43 PM, philochristos wrote:

1. Votes on forfeited debates don't count (because they don't require much of an RFD).

2. You can't write the RFD in the comment section (because that's like cheating the word limit).

Uh... what? There is no requirement to adhere to the word limit and I don't see how limiting people in that regard makes it "better," especially given the award for most detailed RFD.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:44:34 PM
1. TUF
2. Larztheloser
3. drafter - 5 Votes
4. Raisor
5. Crypto
6. Philo

Good job drafterman so far on the voting spree!

Concerning the rules. I think you make a good point on the forfeits side. As stated above, only detailed votes will count. I have to dis-agree on the word count though. The point of this is ffriendly competition, but mainly as a way to increase quality voting on the site. I am not going to place a limit on the vote, if more characters just mean a better informed vote.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:47:46 PM
This competition has started! Please post the links of the debates you vote on here, as drafter has been doing. I'll post up the thread for the most vote winner and the poll for people to vote on who the bets voter, next friday at 12:00 PM MST.

New competitors may join at any time!
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:52:42 PM
I'm game for this. I get bored and vote a lot anyway.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:54:32 PM
1. TUF
2. Larztheloser
3. drafter - 5 Votes
4. Raisor
5. Crypto
6. Philo
7. Ragnar

And the numbers grow!
TameHumanoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:07:29 PM
all I see such an attempt achieving (unless you are Debate.org staff and can give an official title to best voter of the week or something) is either encourage no one to bother voting (since there are no losers) or to encourage people to vote inaccurately as quantity is preferred over quality.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:13:40 PM
At 5/24/2013 2:07:29 PM, TameHumanoid wrote:
all I see such an attempt achieving (unless you are Debate.org staff and can give an official title to best voter of the week or something)

I wouldn't be opposed to that.

is either encourage no one to bother voting (since there are no losers)

There is no losers. Every voting effort we get is a appreciated. The problem here is that too many members are complaining about a lack of votes after putting a decent amount of time and effort into debating. This isn't merely just a competition, this is a voting effort to help solve the problem that so many people are having. The point isn't to win, it's to be recognized for helping contribute to the better quality votes.

or to encourage people to vote inaccurately as quantity is preferred over quality.

Never did I say quantity was more preferred than quality with these votes. If people join with the intention to vote without providing proper reasoning, and just to have a higher number than they have joined for the wrong reasons. We want both the most detailed votes, and the person with the best votes. Neither of these require a copious number of un-explained votes. I am sorry if you mis-interpret this to be harmful, but every aspect of my creation of this was to cause better quality votes. I also wanted to award people and recognize those who have put time and effort into vote casting.
TameHumanoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:16:37 PM
At 5/24/2013 2:13:40 PM, TUF wrote:
all I see such an attempt achieving (unless you are Debate.org staff and can give an official title to best voter of the week or something)

There is no losers. Every voting effort we get is a appreciated. The problem here is that too many members are complaining about a lack of votes after putting a decent amount of time and effort into debating. This isn't merely just a competition, this is a voting effort to help solve the problem that so many people are having. The point isn't to win, it's to be recognized for helping contribute to the better quality votes.

or to encourage people to vote inaccurately as quantity is preferred over quality.

Never did I say quantity was more preferred than quality with these votes. If people join with the intention to vote without providing proper reasoning, and just to have a higher number than they have joined for the wrong reasons. We want both the most detailed votes, and the person with the best votes. Neither of these require a copious number of un-explained votes. I am sorry if you mis-interpret this to be harmful, but every aspect of my creation of this was to cause better quality votes. I also wanted to award people and recognize those who have put time and effort into vote casting.

I just don't see any good coming from this but I don't know much about this site or how it runs exactly... Has there been a lack of voting recently?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:20:36 PM
At 5/24/2013 2:16:37 PM, TameHumanoid wrote:

I just don't see any good coming from this but I don't know much about this site or how it runs exactly... Has there been a lack of voting recently?

In terms of quality votes, yes. This is supposed to be a detterent to poor voting, and help accrue better explained, reasonable votes. For example, everyone that has signed up is already known for spectactular voting.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:22:24 PM
At 5/24/2013 1:18:00 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/24/2013 1:08:43 PM, philochristos wrote:

Uh... what? There is no requirement to adhere to the word limit and I don't see how limiting people in that regard makes it "better," especially given the award for most detailed RFD.

I don't think it makes sense to have a competition unless there's an equal playing field. If there's an award for the most detailed RFD, but there's no word limit, then RFD's could turn out to be longer than the debate itself. The winner would be determined by who has the most free time.

I think it makes better sense to have a word limit, especially in light of the fact that somebody has to judge the RFD's by reading them and assessing them.

I think at least some points ought to go to people for being succinct. There's some merit in being able to say a lot with few words rather than a little with many words.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:23:24 PM
At 5/24/2013 1:54:32 PM, TUF wrote:
1. TUF
2. Larztheloser
3. drafter - 5 Votes
4. Raisor
5. Crypto
7. Ragnar

And the numbers grow!

TameHumanoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:23:36 PM
At 5/24/2013 2:20:36 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/24/2013 2:16:37 PM, TameHumanoid wrote:

In terms of quality votes, yes. This is supposed to be a detterent to poor voting, and help accrue better explained, reasonable votes. For example, everyone that has signed up is already known for spectactular voting.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:25:12 PM
all I see such an attempt achieving (unless you are Debate.org staff and can give an official title to best voter of the week or something) is either encourage no one to bother voting (since there are no losers) or to encourage people to vote inaccurately as quantity is preferred over quality.

That's my concern with not having a word limit.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 3:21:08 PM
At 5/24/2013 2:22:24 PM, philochristos wrote:
I don't think it makes sense to have a competition unless there's an equal playing field. If there's an award for the most detailed RFD, but there's no word limit, then RFD's could turn out to be longer than the debate itself. The winner would be determined by who has the most free time.

It seems you are taking the competition aspect of this more seriously than it's intended. The true purpose of this is get voters to put forth more effort into voting. Bragging rights isn't really the best reward, but the point of this is to get better quality votes, not really to compete as much.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 3:22:06 PM
Since when is the RFD bigger than the debate itself lol? Let's be rational. But even if it was, that just shows the member voting is dedicated in their opinion, and really read over everything there was to be discussed. I don't see the problem.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 3:32:56 PM
At 5/24/2013 3:21:08 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/24/2013 2:22:24 PM, philochristos wrote:

It seems you are taking the competition aspect of this more seriously than it's intended. The true purpose of this is get voters to put forth more effort into voting. Bragging rights isn't really the best reward, but the point of this is to get better quality votes, not really to compete as much.

Yeah, I guess you're right.