Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Disagreement in the forums? Start a debate

ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 8:29:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I see a lot of disagreement in the forums. Usually, when I see a disagreement, I see that the two people involved keep it going for multiple pages. So, if you have a disagreement about something with someone in the forums with pages worth of response comments, why not challenge them to a debate?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 8:30:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have commitment issues.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 8:44:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I understand that this isn't exactly a new idea. However, I want to see it done more often. I feel like something that the website does very well is give a clear format for two people to debate their disagreements, so why not use it to the fullest extent?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 8:58:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/25/2013 8:44:45 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I understand that this isn't exactly a new idea. However, I want to see it done more often. I feel like something that the website does very well is give a clear format for two people to debate their disagreements, so why not use it to the fullest extent?

Because some people prefer debating in the forums.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 9:01:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Because if this advice was followed to the letter, people like royal would have had several thousand debates on this website already.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 9:13:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
As TUF said, sometimes they do. However, debates are not the same as forums. Forums allow input from multiple people, allow unlimited response time, allow people to change their minds and agree on things whereas debaters are usually limited to arguing. Forums also allow argumentation on multiple topics and for the topic of discussion to change into something else. A debate sticks to a narrowly defined resolution within a certain character limit. Debates generally have a "winner" whereas forums are more broad in that there is no end to discussion if the posters do not want it to end. Forums also allow shorter posts without committing to responses. If you accept a 3 round debate for instance, you need to respond each time.

Debates are a great feature of the site and it is interesting to see forum discussions spawn debate topics. But it is not so simple as just replacing forum discussions with debates. They are both different ways of communication each with its own advantages and disadvantages.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 9:24:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think when people debate in the forums, they're actually trying to persuade each other. But when they engage in formal debate, they're just playing a game. They're not trying to persuade each other so much as they're trying to win the game.

I'm speaking in generalities, of course.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 9:27:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
^ what f-16 says. Plus people read forum posts more. It's because there is no inclination to vote after reading it.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 9:34:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I completely see your point.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 10:35:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/25/2013 8:29:42 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I see a lot of disagreement in the forums. Usually, when I see a disagreement, I see that the two people involved keep it going for multiple pages. So, if you have a disagreement about something with someone in the forums with pages worth of response comments, why not challenge them to a debate?

If you were a woman, I'd marry you.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 10:45:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/25/2013 10:35:06 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 5/25/2013 8:29:42 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I see a lot of disagreement in the forums. Usually, when I see a disagreement, I see that the two people involved keep it going for multiple pages. So, if you have a disagreement about something with someone in the forums with pages worth of response comments, why not challenge them to a debate?

If you were a woman, I'd marry you.

You're only saying that because you want more good material for your show. Which gives me a good idea for a show! I could do one on arguments in the forums!
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 10:58:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/25/2013 10:45:36 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 5/25/2013 10:35:06 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 5/25/2013 8:29:42 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I see a lot of disagreement in the forums. Usually, when I see a disagreement, I see that the two people involved keep it going for multiple pages. So, if you have a disagreement about something with someone in the forums with pages worth of response comments, why not challenge them to a debate?

If you were a woman, I'd marry you.

You're only saying that because you want more good material for your show. Which gives me a good idea for a show! I could do one on arguments in the forums!

Gah! You've found me out!

Seriously though, This is one of my pet-peeves too. I don't care when other people do it, but I can barely make it 2 comments in to a forum-fight before I tell the person we should just debate this. I can't stand going page after page after page of arguing in the forums. In my experience, the people reasonable enough to have a worth-wile argument with in the forums are the same people who would agree to a debate on the topic anyway.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 11:03:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/25/2013 10:35:06 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 5/25/2013 8:29:42 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I see a lot of disagreement in the forums. Usually, when I see a disagreement, I see that the two people involved keep it going for multiple pages. So, if you have a disagreement about something with someone in the forums with pages worth of response comments, why not challenge them to a debate?

If you were a woman, I'd marry you.

Love you too, boo
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder