Jump to topic:

My new video series

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 2:56:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I would like to do a series of videos where we have a Skype debates. DDO members would sign up, and we would connect through PM where we would decide on a topic. We would then have a week to prepare, and then, on a pre-agreed time, have a skype debate. The rough idea for the format would be

Pro Intro 3 minutes
Con Intro 3 minutes
One minute to formulate a rebuttal (For the sake of the video, this would be edited out)
Pro Rebuttal 3 minutes
Con Rebuttal 3 minutes
One minute to formulate a conclusion (which would also be edited out of the video)
Pro Conclusion 3 minutes
Con Conclusion 3 minutes

It would then be uploaded to youtube and the forums.

This would be separate from DDO, and would not contribute to wins, losses, or ELO. It would just be fun.

Anybody interested in taking part?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 3:31:21 PM
I would like to see something like that. Last night I downloaded "Call recorder" from ecamm.com, which will allow me to record my skype calls with a split screen. It cost $20, though.

A lot of people have floated the idea of having video debates built into the regular debate rounds here on DDO. There's no telling if or when DDO will ever do that, though. I hope they do.

But in the meantime, i think recording skype debates would be a good idea. As for me, I'm not sure I'd be cut out for it. I'd be too nervous. I'd like to see other people do it, though. And although it wouldn't count toward our DDO rankings, we could still evaluate the debates in the thread on the forum.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 3:56:10 PM
I'd be down, send me a PM anytime, to discuss a topic.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 4:09:02 PM
At 5/26/2013 2:56:26 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Pro Intro 3 minutes
Con Intro 3 minutes
One minute to formulate a rebuttal (For the sake of the video, this would be edited out)
Pro Rebuttal 3 minutes
Con Rebuttal 3 minutes
One minute to formulate a conclusion (which would also be edited out of the video)
Pro Conclusion 3 minutes
Con Conclusion 3 minutes

I might suggest a different format, though.

Pro intro: 6 minutes
Con intro: 6 minutes

Pro rebuttal: 4 minutes
Con rebuttal: 4 minutes

Pro cross-examines Con: 4 minutes
Con cross-examines Pro: 4 minutes

Pro conclusion: 3 minutes
Con conclusion: 3 minutes

They can take a minute or so between rounds to organize their notes and get ready.

I think the best way to keep track of time is for each of them to use their own time and trust each other. It's better that way because if you're using your own time, you'll constantly see how much time you have left, so you can pace yourself accordingly. The iPhone has a got timer on it because it gives you the big ole numbers you can easily see by glancing down at it. I used it last night during our interview.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 4:18:50 PM
Oh, wait, I just kinda skimmed over this. If we had a skype debate, I would prefer an informal debate. Just a simply discussion, but we would be debating a specific topic. This isn't to say that I would not be up for a formal debate, just that I enjoy informal debates more.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 4:28:55 PM
At 5/26/2013 4:18:50 PM, muzebreak wrote:
Oh, wait, I just kinda skimmed over this. If we had a skype debate, I would prefer an informal debate. Just a simply discussion, but we would be debating a specific topic. This isn't to say that I would not be up for a formal debate, just that I enjoy informal debates more.

I like that idea, too. The advantage of having a structure, though, is that you don't have to worry about one person talking over the other or dominating the conversation just because they have a more overbearing personality.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 4:42:32 PM
At 5/26/2013 4:28:55 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/26/2013 4:18:50 PM, muzebreak wrote:

I like that idea, too. The advantage of having a structure, though, is that you don't have to worry about one person talking over the other or dominating the conversation just because they have a more overbearing personality.

I concede that is a problem. We could fix it by including a moderator, who will buzz either side if they take advantage of the lack of a stringent format.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 4:44:10 PM
Like 5 Months ago Stephen Hawkings did one of these. I was in like every single video debate lol. IT was really fun, and I would be willing to do it again. No one had screen recording abilities though, so none of the debates were available to those who weren't online to view them at the time.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 5:35:16 PM
At 5/26/2013 4:44:10 PM, TUF wrote:
Like 5 Months ago Stephen Hawkings did one of these. I was in like every single video debate lol. IT was really fun, and I would be willing to do it again. No one had screen recording abilities though, so none of the debates were available to those who weren't online to view them at the time.

These debates could take place in those tiny chats that some people are starting. Anybody could record the debates using screen capture. That's how I recorded the interview yesterday (although now I have a program to do it with).

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 5:42:05 PM
I will be purchasing a Skype recording program soon. That being said,
Muzebreak- philochristos pretty much summed it up. That being said, I would love to have an informal Skype debate, and I would still record it, and if we don't have too much overpowering, than I would still upload it.
TUF- Let's do it man
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 5:48:44 PM
At 5/26/2013 5:35:16 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/26/2013 4:44:10 PM, TUF wrote:

These debates could take place in those tiny chats that some people are starting. Anybody could record the debates using screen capture. That's how I recorded the interview yesterday (although now I have a program to do it with).

That's basically what we did it in. The video player was small, but I think skype would work a bit better.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 5:52:34 PM
Members here I deabted through video:

Hitchslap
DetectableNinja
Mr.Brooks
StephenHawkins
One More person here I can't remember though

and some random guy from another website.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 10:59:43 PM
It's free to record? Does it let you do side by side?

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 11:02:10 PM
At 5/26/2013 10:59:43 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

It's free and saves direct to YouTube. It shows whoever is speaking large and shows the other person(s) in a smaller box.

Anyone who wants to challenge me on any platform though can feel free to send me a message. I love video debates.
Vulpes_Inculta
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 11:29:53 PM
I'm interested in taking part. I want to debate the issue 'Big Bang cosmology supports atheism over theism', taking the Pro position.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 11:49:11 PM
Alright, so here is the list of interested individuals, in the order that they displayed interest.
1. Muzebreak (If you want to do the formal debate, you are up first)
2. TUF
3. Larztheloser
4. Vulpes_Inculta

If you want to be added to the list, just add yourself in the comments. I will be getting this started within the week.

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 11:56:16 PM
At 5/26/2013 11:02:10 PM, larztheloser wrote:

It's free and saves direct to YouTube. It shows whoever is speaking large and shows the other person(s) in a smaller box.

What makes it switch from one person to the other? Is it just sound activated?

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 12:09:48 AM
At 5/26/2013 11:56:16 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/26/2013 11:02:10 PM, larztheloser wrote:

What makes it switch from one person to the other? Is it just sound activated?

In my experience - mostly (although I've heard there's an intense Google algorithm behind it to make it more likely to switch for voice as opposed to just noise, that didn't happen in that debate I linked). Presumably the non-speaker would want to turn their mic off anyway.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 4:42:06 AM
At 5/26/2013 11:49:11 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Alright, so here is the list of interested individuals, in the order that they displayed interest.
1. Muzebreak (If you want to do the formal debate, you are up first)
2. TUF
3. Larztheloser
4. Vulpes_Inculta

If you want to be added to the list, just add yourself in the comments. I will be getting this started within the week.

I'll do the formal debate, as long as we can work out a resolution that will work for the both of us. Send me a PM, and we can discuss it.