Jump to topic:

The Philochristos Show s01e02

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 9:00:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In this episode, I interviewed RyuuKyuzo.

http://www.debate.org...

Unfortunately, I had the recording set on a low resolution, so we're a little fuzzy. If you wear glasses, just take them off, and you won't be able to tell the difference. :-)

Enjoy!

Oh, and sign up if you haven't already:

http://www.debate.org...
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 9:50:38 PM
=D

Now the secret of how to pronounce my name is out.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 9:53:23 PM
At 5/30/2013 9:50:38 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
=D

Now the secret of how to pronounce my name is out.

No worries. It's easy to forget. It only took me about ten minutes, and I had to ask again.

Thanks for the interview! I'm really enjoying these. People are interesting.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 9:55:37 PM
Haha still watching but this is cute so far!

How do you record your split screens by the way? Is it Skype you're using?
yang.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 10:00:56 PM
At 5/30/2013 9:55:37 PM, tulle wrote:

We're talking through Skype, but I downloaded Recorder v2.3.28 from ecamm.com, and that's what I'm using to record it in split screen.

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 10:08:39 PM
At 5/30/2013 9:55:37 PM, tulle wrote:
Haha still watching but this is cute so far!

Why do you describe everything I do as cute? =___=

There's nothing cute about it! We're two manly men having a manly conversation ;)
yin.yang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 10:28:31 PM
At 5/30/2013 10:08:39 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Why do you describe everything I do as cute? =___=

There's nothing cute about it! We're two manly men having a manly conversation ;)

Haha :p
Maikuru and tulle.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 11:37:55 PM
Thanks, airmax!

I forgot to wear my jester cap. I meant to wear that.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 1:36:56 AM
Great show! By the way, I don't know what kyuzo means, but Ryuu is japanese for dragon. It also has a connotation as a type of nickname, for someone who is a scholar in Japanese arts, especially martial arts.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 1:52:55 AM
Great episode; great show in general. Ryu, I never knew you actually got Kyuzo from samurai 7 but that's who I always pictured when reading your name. Great, great anime. Fun fact: along with the anime samurai 7, Pixar's A Bug's Life was also based on the classic film Seven Samurai.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 2:06:46 AM
I didn't see this as much in episode 1 (I think), but philochris, if I had a criticism of this show, it was that you seem to say "I" more than "you".

I think at least two-thirds of the show was you talking instead of him, which in my opinion, is not how an interview should be. Some interviewees will naturally be more timid (for lack of a better word) than others and so will have shorter, more to-the-point and concise answers, and some questions will naturally take longer to ask than answer, but generally, we should hear more of the interviewee than the interviewer.

I think, to avoid excessive tangents, you should have a list of questions to ask; perhaps six or so general questions you could theoretically ask any member of DDO (i.e., why do you debate? what is your debating background like? what are your goals as a debater? what do you do outside of DDO?) and then some person-specific questions (i.e., imabench: do you prefer troll debates or serious debates? RoyLatham: how does it feel having the highest ELO? etc.).
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 2:15:18 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, Dakota. I agree with you.

DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 2:18:53 AM
At 5/31/2013 2:15:18 AM, philochristos wrote:

Glad you take criticism well, because I do love the show so far and only want to see it get better :)
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 2:40:09 AM
At 5/31/2013 2:18:53 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Glad you take criticism well, because I do love the show so far and only want to see it get better :)

Then maybe you should sign up for an interview. :-)

DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 2:50:49 AM
At 5/31/2013 2:40:09 AM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/31/2013 2:18:53 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Then maybe you should sign up for an interview. :-)

I would, only I'm quite shy on camera.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 3:13:41 AM
At 5/31/2013 2:06:46 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
I didn't see this as much in episode 1 (I think), but philochris, if I had a criticism of this show, it was that you seem to say "I" more than "you".

I think at least two-thirds of the show was you talking instead of him, which in my opinion, is not how an interview should be. Some interviewees will naturally be more timid (for lack of a better word) than others and so will have shorter, more to-the-point and concise answers, and some questions will naturally take longer to ask than answer, but generally, we should hear more of the interviewee than the interviewer.

I think, to avoid excessive tangents, you should have a list of questions to ask; perhaps six or so general questions you could theoretically ask any member of DDO (e.g., why do you debate? what is your debating background like? what are your goals as a debater? what do you do outside of DDO?) and then some person-specific questions (e.g., imabench: do you prefer troll debates or serious debates? RoyLatham: how does it feel having the highest ELO? etc.).

Fixed. I hate mixing those up.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 12:07:00 PM
At 5/31/2013 1:52:55 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
Great episode; great show in general. Ryu, I never knew you actually got Kyuzo from samurai 7 but that's who I always pictured when reading your name. Great, great anime. Fun fact: along with the anime samurai 7, Pixar's A Bug's Life was also based on the classic film Seven Samurai.

Ha! Well, you were right! =)