Jump to topic:

DDO presidential interviews

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 4:37:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm thinking of doing an interview with the main candidates. However, as I've not been active on the site a lot recently, I will need help with questions.

If you would like any questions asked of any members, please either PM them to me or list them here. If I don't get enough questions, I won't be able to do the interviews.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 5:00:39 PM
Maybe you could moderate a presidential debate.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 5:02:30 PM
At 6/2/2013 5:00:39 PM, philochristos wrote:

I'd also like to see Airmax appear on the Philochristos Show.
Tsar of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 5:04:49 PM
At 6/2/2013 5:02:30 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/2/2013 5:00:39 PM, philochristos wrote:

I'd also like to see Airmax appear on the Philochristos Show.
He is 8th on the list Sir. http://www.debate.org...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 5:53:25 PM
DDO is getting new members all the time that just start up one debate, and then close their accounts. How do we get people to stay on the website and become a part of the DDO community?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 5:55:36 PM
Forfeited rounds, or even forfeited debates, are becoming a huge problem. Do any of the candidates have plans to deter forfeits?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 6:27:22 PM
At 6/2/2013 5:53:25 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
DDO is getting new members all the time that just start up one debate, and then close their accounts. How do we get people to stay on the website and become a part of the DDO community?

I think part of the reason that happens is because some people do it as a classroom assignment. They just need to do one debate to fulfill the requirements, and then they're out of here.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 6:28:49 PM
At 6/2/2013 5:55:36 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Forfeited rounds, or even forfeited debates, are becoming a huge problem. Do any of the candidates have plans to deter forfeits?

In the last couple of debates I've done, I've made them 6000 characters instead of 8000 characters. Another idea might be to lengthen the response time. Another thing a lot of people are already doing is just looking at the debates a person has already done. If they have a habit of forfeiting, then you should avoid accepting debate challenges from those people.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 6:55:26 PM

I'll get both those questions in.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 7:40:16 PM
At 6/2/2013 6:55:26 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I'll get both those questions in.

Much appreciated

leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 12:22:35 PM
At 6/2/2013 5:53:25 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Well I think all this drama is scaring them off. Some people can't take this drama.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 10:40:57 PM
I'd really like to hear about how Malcolmxy was banned. I didn't see what happened, but from comments I've read since, it sounds like he was banned because he offended someone in the Airmax inner circle.

Is this true? Even if it isn't, it's a shame that someone who contributed so much to the site be banned. Weren't there other ways of dealing with any rule violations?

And if it is true, it might be helpful if the list of inner circle members be put on a sticky somewhere, so that we all know who we shouldn't offend.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 10:54:56 PM
At 6/5/2013 10:40:57 PM, rross wrote:
I'd really like to hear about how Malcolmxy was banned. I didn't see what happened, but from comments I've read since, it sounds like he was banned because he offended someone in the Airmax inner circle.

He wasn't banned for offending someone in my inner circle (that incident was a temp-ban). He was party banned (it ended up being the final straw that ultimately lead to the circumstances for his ban) for continually sexually harassing a member who happened to be in my inner circle.

Is this true? Even if it isn't, it's a shame that someone who contributed so much to the site be banned. Weren't there other ways of dealing with any rule violations?

No, it isn't true. He was justifiably banned for continuing to harass members, among other reasons.

I don't mean to insult either you or malcolm, but how much did he really contribute to the site? His contributions definitely weren't that significant, and he was warned several times about his conduct. In the end this and other factors lead to him being banned.

And if it is true, it might be helpful if the list of inner circle members be put on a sticky somewhere, so that we all know who we shouldn't offend.

Well it's not true, and it's ridiculous. Just avoid sexually harassing everyone and you'll be safe. But just to be sure, avoid threatening members of the site, avoid threatening the site itself, to a lesser extent avoid constant threats to me, and pretty much avoid being anything like Malcolm was and you will remove any possibility of a similar circumstance Malcolm faced.

But nonetheless, I will list members who are actively involved in site administration in the near future.
Debate.org Moderator
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 11:50:29 PM
At 6/5/2013 10:54:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

He wasn't banned for offending someone in my inner circle (that incident was a temp-ban). He was party banned (it ended up being the final straw that ultimately lead to the circumstances for his ban) for continually sexually harassing a member who happened to be in my inner circle.

No, it isn't true. He was justifiably banned for continuing to harass members, among other reasons.

I don't mean to insult either you or malcolm, but how much did he really contribute to the site? His contributions definitely weren't that significant, and he was warned several times about his conduct. In the end this and other factors lead to him being banned.

Well it's not true, and it's ridiculous. Just avoid sexually harassing everyone and you'll be safe. But just to be sure, avoid threatening members of the site, avoid threatening the site itself, to a lesser extent avoid constant threats to me, and pretty much avoid being anything like Malcolm was and you will remove any possibility of a similar circumstance Malcolm faced.

But nonetheless, I will list members who are actively involved in site administration in the near future.

I'll also vouch for malcolmxy and most definitely will say that the economics forums are a lot quieter and less substantive without him there. He brought a lot of thoughtful opinion to a wide variety of topics.

At the same time, I knew at times he had the ridiculous temerity to start threads and PMs that were nothing but flame wars, and overall act about 30 years younger than what he let on to be. I was kind of surprised by some of his outbursts, because most if not all of my dealings with him were very much night and day in comparison - they were typically quite civil and light hearted. It makes me feel kind of bad, because I did not think he would carry it to the extent of getting banned, and had I known it was that serious, I would have asked him as a friend to stop for his own good.

I didn't see many of this flame-threads, but the ones I saw I thought were jokes, nothing serious.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 11:59:59 PM
At 6/5/2013 11:50:29 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

I'll also vouch for malcolmxy and most definitely will say that the economics forums are a lot quieter and less substantive without him there. He brought a lot of thoughtful opinion to a wide variety of topics.

At the same time, I knew at times he had the ridiculous temerity to start threads and PMs that were nothing but flame wars, and overall act about 30 years younger than what he let on to be. I was kind of surprised by some of his outbursts, because most if not all of my dealings with him were very much night and day in comparison - they were typically quite civil and light hearted. It makes me feel kind of bad, because I did not think he would carry it to the extent of getting banned, and had I known it was that serious, I would have asked him as a friend to stop for his own good.

I didn't see many of this flame-threads, but the ones I saw I thought were jokes, nothing serious.

I had some fun with him as well, and I was looking forward to debating the diamond trade with him. He seemed like two different people. One hand, he could be relaxed, a bit arrogant and abrasive, but nothing awful, and capable of engaging in educated debate. On the other hand, I saw him descend into what I would equate to a raving lunatic with ImaBench, though he was deliberately provoked and baited into this kind of behavior. While his behavior was in the end fully ban-worthy and incredibly immature, I think that it was just as immature, if not more so, to repeatedly egg him on. He had the capacity to be a valuable, contributing member.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:54:03 AM

Thanks for answering my question. It sounds like you really did have reason to ban him.

I suppose the thing for me is that to hear that he was "continually sexually harassing" someone comes as a shock to me. This is something horrible and serious, and it's quite inconsistent with what little I saw of him. But he must have had a different side to him as wrichcirw and Skepsikyma said.

One concern I have is that to be banned by the DDO President for sexual harassment is not just an accusation but a strong judgement. It's saying, quite clearly, that the harassment did occur. But he is banned, and so he can't defend himself.

He was here anonymously, but we don't know if his family or colleagues were aware of his identity here. Also, there are people on this site who aren't anonymous.

Therefore, I suppose, I would like to see more transparency and objectivity of process when these sorts of judgements are made. Of course there may have been those things - I have no idea what happened -, but from what I've seen it doesn't seem so. Especially in this case when there was a conflict of interest.

Please don't interpret this as a criticism of your judgement. I'm sure you were right and blameless throughout. It's more a concern about procedure. It would apply to any president.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 8:10:54 AM
Even if it isn't, it's a shame that someone who contributed so much to the site be banned.

I was drinking water, and I spat it out all over my laptop in dis-belief while laughing. So malcomxy contributed a lot to the site huh?

I think I've heard everything.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 10:14:22 AM
Was there an actual "trial" of malcolmxy?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:18:09 PM
At 6/6/2013 10:14:22 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
Was there an actual "trial" of malcolmxy?

No. In cases where it would invade the privacy of the victims and the accused a trial becomes impossible. In this case, a lengthy list of infractions, evidence and information on the accused was written up and presented to a couple members and to Juggle and it was decided that a permanent ban was the prudent course of action.

Just to give some insight into a key focus I have with this type of moderation, I generally follow my "Triple P" approach. This is as follows:

Protect
Privacy
Patience

"Protect" means two things. One the one hand members should feel safe on the site and if they have problems, they need to contact me so I can resolve it. I can't "protect every member from the site" all the time to the fullest degree, but I do my best. Conversely, while I try to "protect members from the site", it's just as much an emphasis that I need to "protect the site from members." The latter emphasis would be the case in what we are talking about here, while the former is how it's usually brought to my attention.

"Privacy" is an integral part of how I approach moderation. I do not allow the pubic display of private information on the site. This is one of those things that is a "shoot now, ask questions later" type of thing with regards to site posts. If I suspect it is private information, it will be deleted immediately, and then I'll investigate it.

Such an incident actually occurred lately, when a member, as a joke, placed a bunch of private info about another member in his sig (it was all fake) but because of the potential damage of doing nothing, I had to remove it from the site.

Furthermore, no member has to tolerate their private info being posted to the site, even if it is publicly available. If a member posts your facebook pictures, your place of employment, or school etc on the site, you have every right, and are encouraged, to ask for it to be removed.

As it relates to this, no member suffering from harassment needs to fear retribution for reporting it. If they report it, their identity will remain private throughout the investigation of it, and beyond.

"Patience" is an important aspect (for better of worse) of my demeanor. I do not approach things as a reactionary. I consider them carefully and ask for as much advice on them as possible. Even members of my administration get frustrated with how I can act on these things sometimes. I want to give every member every opportunity, give them every warning and only ban them when it become absolutely necessary. Even with this case, site members and members of my inner circle were taking me to task for not taking actions against him sooner. Maybe they were right, may be they weren't, I do understand their frustrations sometimes, but I don't rush into things a serious as this. I need to be certain and that requires being patient in gathering views and data, and it also requires being patient with members that can frequently act intolerable or abusive towards me.

The accused in this case was given every chance to remain a member. When it became clear his conduct would not change, was abusive to other members, a threat to the quality of the site, and various other things that can't be publicly said as they would violate his and others privacy (I recognize the problem with this, but it's part of the way things are in this case) it was determined by myself, then by other members of the site, and ultimately by Juggle that he could no longer be allowed to remain a member.

I do however like the idea of trials. In grey areas where a trial is possible I think we should always have one. This was nowhere near a grey area.

I recognize that much of this requires members "just to trust me", because I can't spell out everything and exactly what happened and why it was 100% necessary. This will often be the case with any moderator of the site, and it's why the more trustworthy that individual is, the better the system works. I don't really know how much members trust me, and I'm not asking for it to just be granted, but I can't compromise on member privacy or site security aspects. So unfortunately, there are times when I simply can not be 100% transparent with certain cases.

Members are always welcome and encouraged to ask me anything they like though, and I will always do my best to be as candid as possible.
Debate.org Moderator
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 9:50:13 PM
has this thread become an actual interview or just preparing for one. Because there are some things I would like to answer but I'm not sure if something else was going to be organised.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 9:55:41 PM
At 6/6/2013 9:50:13 PM, larztheloser wrote:
has this thread become an actual interview or just preparing for one. Because there are some things I would like to answer but I'm not sure if something else was going to be organised.

I think we are going to do an organized thing. I felt it necessary to answer a specific question that would have only been directed at me (and it can still be asked in a more formal way as well). I also wanted to get rid of any misconceptions about the issue before it sat around for awhile.

I'm not going to directly answer about any other topic until we actually do this in a formal way.
Debate.org Moderator
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 10:04:26 PM
At 6/6/2013 8:10:54 AM, TUF wrote:
Even if it isn't, it's a shame that someone who contributed so much to the site be banned.

I was drinking water, and I spat it out all over my laptop in dis-belief while laughing. So malcomxy contributed a lot to the site huh?

I think I've heard everything.

I thought he was hilarious, and provocative in a good way. One of the most entertaining people on this site. But I never saw his evil side.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 10:32:39 PM
At 6/6/2013 10:25:47 PM, rross wrote:
Seriously? Imabench is an office holder here? I had no idea.

Lol. Malcolmxy really did piss off the wrong people.

"Office holder" is kind of a strong term to use. Many members offer their opinions to me on a regular basis. Imabench is one of them. He's an extremely active member who has been around for awhile, so he naturally has something of value to offer.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 10:34:46 PM
At 6/6/2013 9:50:13 PM, larztheloser wrote:

There will be an organized interview coming up. However, feel free to reach out to the members as much as possible.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 10:35:33 PM
"I realized real fast that voicing my opinion on the way things are run here, Is only met with negative feedback, and group gangbanging from the mods."

!!! You know, I really wish I'd read that thread before I asked my question.

I have no further comments to make. Or questions. Thank you everyone for your time and patience
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 10:53:13 PM
At 6/6/2013 10:32:39 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

"Office holder" is kind of a strong term to use. Many members offer their opinions to me on a regular basis. Imabench is one of them. He's an extremely active member who has been around for awhile, so he naturally has something of value to offer.

"been around for a while"

I'm getting old.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 11:07:21 PM
At 6/6/2013 10:53:13 PM, Noumena wrote:

I'm getting old.

haha I think you are :p

I think once a member has been around for about a year they become one of the "veterans" (and have a good knowledge of the workings of the site), I think that's a decent amount of time to be on the site considering most members stick around for only a month or shorter.
Debate.org Moderator
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 11:13:31 PM
At 6/6/2013 11:07:21 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/6/2013 10:53:13 PM, Noumena wrote:

I'm getting old.

haha I think you are :p

I think once a member has been around for about a year they become one of the "veterans" (and have a good knowledge of the workings of the site), I think that's a decent amount of time to be on the site considering most members stick around for only a month or shorter.

I don't think anyone who's been here under two years can be counted as a veteran just yet. It might be even longer than two given that I've been here 2+ and I'm still not up there. I remember someone forwarded the idea of generations. I like that idea better.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.