Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Leader board: what is Percentile based on?

1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 12:27:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I thought that it's based on the sheer number of debates done, but the numbers don't seem to fit that. http://www.debate.org....

& why are there 3 guys at 0.00% http://www.debate.org..., followed by over 7,000 at 66.42% http://www.debate.org...
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 12:58:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Wins.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:09:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/5/2013 12:58:50 AM, phantom wrote:
Wins.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 2:33:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The percentile is wins/(wins + losses). Ties are not counted in the computation. So 0-1-0, 0-2-0, and 0-1-1 all have a percentile of 0.0.

Sometime updating of the leaderboard lags, so the computations are not completely up to date.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 2:59:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 12:27:32 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
I thought that it's based on the sheer number of debates done, but the numbers don't seem to fit that. http://www.debate.org....

& why are there 3 guys at 0.00% http://www.debate.org..., followed by over 7,000 at 66.42% http://www.debate.org...

This would imply that fully 2/3 of the accounts created on this website have never won a debate.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 8:39:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 2:59:35 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 6/4/2013 12:27:32 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
I thought that it's based on the sheer number of debates done, but the numbers don't seem to fit that. http://www.debate.org....

& why are there 3 guys at 0.00% http://www.debate.org..., followed by over 7,000 at 66.42% http://www.debate.org...

This would imply that fully 2/3 of the accounts created on this website have never won a debate.

Sounds about right since most people who don't win their first debate tend to leave the site afterwards....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 8:51:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 8:39:14 PM, imabench wrote:
At 6/8/2013 2:59:35 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 6/4/2013 12:27:32 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
I thought that it's based on the sheer number of debates done, but the numbers don't seem to fit that. http://www.debate.org....

& why are there 3 guys at 0.00% http://www.debate.org..., followed by over 7,000 at 66.42% http://www.debate.org...

This would imply that fully 2/3 of the accounts created on this website have never won a debate.

Sounds about right since most people who don't win their first debate tend to leave the site afterwards....

It goes beyond even that. 60k or so accounts appear to have never debated at all.

This means that of 80k accounts created, 11k have debated and won or lost. Meaning around 69k have never taken part in a debate at all and an ever larger number have never won.
Debate.org Moderator