Jump to topic:

Did they just ban humorous opinions?

MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:34:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
When my question on Australia's existence was removed, I assumed is was just reported for some stupid reason.

But then they deleted my recent question asking if Winnie the Pooh was a traitor?!

Note that I've been keeping all these questions filed under "Miscellaneous".

Aside from the fact that the Honeygate scandal is a legitimate issue, did they just decide no more humor on the opinion section?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:37:29 PM
That's sad. Humor and satire have always been a big part of DDO.

While the Australia question was a bit much, there is still some decent debate value over whether or not Pooh was a traitor.

I feel as long as two people can take sides and actually have some sort of debate.

(If the Moon were made of cheese, would we mine it for world hunger?)

A question like this is absurd but you could still argue both sides. By deleting these types of questions they are stifling creative debate style.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:40:53 PM
At 6/6/2013 7:34:20 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
When my question on Australia's existence was removed, I assumed is was just reported for some stupid reason.

But then they deleted my recent question asking if Winnie the Pooh was a traitor?!

Aside from the fact that the Honeygate scandal is a legitimate issue, did they just decide no more humor on the opinion section?

That is wired. :/
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 9:14:16 PM
That's sad. Humor and satire have always been a big part of DDO.

While the Australia question was a bit much, there is still some decent debate value over whether or not Pooh was a traitor.

I feel as long as two people can take sides and actually have some sort of debate.

(If the Moon were made of cheese, would we mine it for world hunger?)

A question like this is absurd but you could still argue both sides. By deleting these types of questions they are stifling creative debate style.

And to the best of my knowledge, I don't think they violate the ToS.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 9:26:36 PM

I've had four of my "opinion arguments" censored by the powers that be. The only thing I can think of is that it is not the DDO moderators which moderate the opinion section.

On the opinion section, I have a few thoughts:

(1) I see no reason why it's here, other than to rip off of create-debate's user interface.
(2) There is a reason why I spend time on DDO, and not create debate -i.e. the latter is stupid.
(3) Making the opinion section, while it may give new users the opportunity to express their thoughts in such a way that they don't necessarily have to defend them, serves no value other than to give people the opportunity to intellectually blood-let (which is a practice that, to me, lacks merit or value).

However, the fact that the opinion section is being moderated to the extent that it is tells me that Juggle is concerned about having what they would consider "nonsense" on the site -ergo they are trying to "up their ante" so to say, without diminishing the other "fun things" that take place in other places (like troll debates and the last comment wins thread).

Just my thoughts though... but I still think the opinion section is pointless -which, oddly enough, I expressed in an opinion argument.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 9:40:31 PM
At 6/6/2013 9:26:36 PM, YYW wrote:

I've had four of my "opinion arguments" censored by the powers that be. The only thing I can think of is that it is not the DDO moderators which moderate the opinion section.

This is correct. It's an entirely separately moderated part of the site.

(1) I see no reason why it's here, other than to rip off of create-debate's user interface.

It gets the site a lot of traffic. It's simple and gets lots of hits. It's good for the site, though Juggle recognizes it isn't what the rest of DDO is catered towards, so it's a separate aspect of the site.

(2) There is a reason why I spend time on DDO, and not create debate -i.e. the latter is stupid.

I think a lot of members feel this way, I certainly do to a certain extent regarding quality and "formal aspects" of debate.org versus CD. But it's just another feature of the site, and has it's own value. Most importantly, it's entirely avoidable.

(3) Making the opinion section, while it may give new users the opportunity to express their thoughts in such a way that they don't necessarily have to defend them, serves no value other than to give people the opportunity to intellectually blood-let (which is a practice that, to me, lacks merit or value).

It appeals to some (and the site gets significantly more hits because of it), but Juggle recognizes that it isn't the same thing as "DDO Proper" (for lack of a better term) and wont appeal to many of DDO's long time users. It's therefore separated and specifically a different type of thing.

However, the fact that the opinion section is being moderated to the extent that it is tells me that Juggle is concerned about having what they would consider "nonsense" on the site -ergo they are trying to "up their ante" so to say, without diminishing the other "fun things" that take place in other places (like troll debates and the last comment wins thread).

Just my thoughts though... but I still think the opinion section is pointless -which, oddly enough, I expressed in an opinion argument.
Debate.org Moderator
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 9:46:34 PM
I think it's a good spot for people who are too busy/afraid to have a full-length debate.
I've never been to create debate, but amen.
Comment wars are still hilarious. Especially when GWL-CPA pitches in.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 10:07:35 PM
At 6/6/2013 9:40:31 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I figured as much. Juggle's moderating policies remind me of Michael Bloomberg's edicts on carbonated beverages and cigarettes -which is unfortunate- or Carlo Gambino's method of dealing with people he doesn't like.

"Oh, it seems you've done something I don't like. Well, it's gone now. Finito! Fuggetaboitit... capish?"

*whacks comment*

lol
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 10:17:49 PM
At 6/6/2013 9:46:34 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
Comment wars are still hilarious.

Which is something that's outlandishly ironic... on the one hand there are users posting questions in the "opinion" section, making comments and contributing content while driving up site traffic, but on the other hand there are elusive mods not connected to the culture or people of DDO determining what "is" or "isn't" appropriate -which would seem to be something that would undermine site traffic.

Indeed, there was a time when Juggle could have decided to up the intellectual ante of DDO by adopting a range of policies which would have resulted in most of the established members (myself included) being banned. And yet, doing so would make this an esoteric, boring conglomeration of wannabe "great thinkers" posting their esoteric ramblings. That market, though, is already filled by academic journals, though (you'll all forgive the purposefully cheeky tone I'm adopting here).

Moreover, there are a litany of other sites -some of which require members to pay- that only "serious members" go on and are allowed to be a part of. They're boring and don't get a lot of traffic though. In that case, however, those sites are usually ran by people who are foremost interested in intellectualizing, prosthelytizing and philosophizing -not having fun or making friends, or generating site traffic (i.e. doing what DDO does).

Any intelligent web designer, though, makes an effort to outline his goals and understand his website's constituents. If the goal is to have the most users and generate traffic, then letting members post with a high degree of latitude is the way to go. It the goal is to be esoteric and exclusive, then 95% of DDO members would be out...

Things to think about...
Tsar of DDO
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 2:22:51 AM
At 6/6/2013 10:17:49 PM, YYW wrote:

Which is something that's outlandishly ironic... on the one hand there are users posting questions in the "opinion" section, making comments and contributing content while driving up site traffic, but on the other hand there are elusive mods not connected to the culture or people of DDO determining what "is" or "isn't" appropriate -which would seem to be something that would undermine site traffic.

Indeed, there was a time when Juggle could have decided to up the intellectual ante of DDO by adopting a range of policies which would have resulted in most of the established members (myself included) being banned. And yet, doing so would make this an esoteric, boring conglomeration of wannabe "great thinkers" posting their esoteric ramblings. That market, though, is already filled by academic journals, though (you'll all forgive the purposefully cheeky tone I'm adopting here).

Moreover, there are a litany of other sites -some of which require members to pay- that only "serious members" go on and are allowed to be a part of. They're boring and don't get a lot of traffic though. In that case, however, those sites are usually ran by people who are foremost interested in intellectualizing, prosthelytizing and philosophizing -not having fun or making friends, or generating site traffic (i.e. doing what DDO does).

Any intelligent web designer, though, makes an effort to outline his goals and understand his website's constituents. If the goal is to have the most users and generate traffic, then letting members post with a high degree of latitude is the way to go. It the goal is to be esoteric and exclusive, then 95% of DDO members would be out...

Things to think about...

Is DDO popular enough to not be considered esoteric? I wish it was; but then, I suppose I don't want an influx of trolls and idiots.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 2:38:26 AM
At 6/7/2013 2:22:51 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Things to think about...

Is DDO popular enough to not be considered esoteric? I wish it was; but then, I suppose I don't want an influx of trolls and idiots.

There are more than 11,000 users I believe who are registered. Is it esoteric relative to... Facebook? Sure... but it has way more traffic than other websites for academic/semi-academic debate/discussion. I don't know where it stands relative to create debate though... I know some teachers use it for instructional purposes, but the interface on create debate just irks me...
Tsar of DDO
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 2:50:59 AM
At 6/7/2013 2:38:26 AM, YYW wrote:

Things to think about...

There are more than 11,000 users I believe who are registered. Is it esoteric relative to... Facebook? Sure... but it has way more traffic than other websites for academic/semi-academic debate/discussion. I don't know where it stands relative to create debate though... I know some teachers use it for instructional purposes, but the interface on create debate just irks me...

From what I know, though (correct me if I'm wrong), that 11,000 includes all accounts created (even multiaccounts that were never found out) over the last four years, a good ~95% of which hardly participated at all; some of them might not even remember the name "DDO".

When compared to other sites of similar purpose, DDO might be sitting on top, but it seems all sites of this purpose are esoteric in general.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 12:54:32 PM
Legitimate Debate can be handled on humorous topics, like a thread I saw where createdebate had a debate on "are cheetos chips?"
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 5:20:37 PM
At 6/7/2013 2:50:59 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Things to think about...

From what I know, though (correct me if I'm wrong), that 11,000 includes all accounts created (even multiaccounts that were never found out) over the last four years, a good ~95% of which hardly participated at all; some of them might not even remember the name "DDO".

When compared to other sites of similar purpose, DDO might be sitting on top, but it seems all sites of this purpose are esoteric in general.

I'm comparing this to sites with only a few hundred members or so... but they're usually only forums.

I also didn't say that all 11,000 were active -just that there were more than 11,000.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 5:47:14 PM
At 6/7/2013 5:39:47 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
We need a revolution against the opinion mods, guys.

Or... just ignore the opinion section.
Tsar of DDO
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 5:49:15 PM
At 6/7/2013 5:47:14 PM, YYW wrote:

You don't understand. If I do that, I lose. I can't solve things maturely, silly goose.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 5:58:08 PM
At 6/6/2013 9:40:31 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

It gets the site a lot of traffic. It's simple and gets lots of hits. It's good for the site, though Juggle recognizes it isn't what the rest of DDO is catered towards, so it's a separate aspect of the site.

I think a lot of members feel this way, I certainly do to a certain extent regarding quality and "formal aspects" of debate.org versus CD. But it's just another feature of the site, and has it's own value. Most importantly, it's entirely avoidable.

Tell that to my notifications

It appeals to some (and the site gets significantly more hits because of it), but Juggle recognizes that it isn't the same thing as "DDO Proper" (for lack of a better term) and wont appeal to many of DDO's long time users. It's therefore separated and specifically a different type of thing.

https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 6:00:10 PM
At 6/7/2013 5:49:15 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 6/7/2013 5:47:14 PM, YYW wrote:

You don't understand. If I do that, I lose. I can't solve things maturely, silly goose.

http://www.debate.org...
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 7:08:56 PM
At 6/7/2013 5:20:37 PM, YYW wrote:

Things to think about...

I'm comparing this to sites with only a few hundred members or so... but they're usually only forums.

I also didn't say that all 11,000 were active -just that there were more than 11,000.

I'm not sure where this 11,000 number comes from. If we are talking about the total number of registered users there are nearly 80k.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 7:17:27 PM
At 6/7/2013 7:08:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Things to think about...

I'm not sure where this 11,000 number comes from. If we are talking about the total number of registered users there are nearly 80k.

I got it off the leader-board... but I stand corrected ;)

I think that's sufficient evidence that DDO isn't as esoteric as either Dakota or I thought... lol
Tsar of DDO
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 2:24:27 PM
The Forums are not accessible to search engines. Take a phrase from one of the posts in this thread, try searching for it and you'll find it gets no hits. I think making the Forums accessible to search engines would be much more effective in getting hits than the Opinions feature.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 2:33:10 PM
At 6/8/2013 2:24:27 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The Forums are not accessible to search engines. Take a phrase from one of the posts in this thread, try searching for it and you'll find it gets no hits. I think making the Forums accessible to search engines would be much more effective in getting hits than the Opinions feature.

The Forums are accessible to search engines.

https://www.google.com...

Search terms were: debate.org did they just ban humorous opinions

First hit is: this forum topic.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 2:33:53 PM
Second hit, humorously enough and at the moment, is YYWs profile.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:07:29 PM
At 6/7/2013 7:17:27 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/7/2013 7:08:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Things to think about...

I got it off the leader-board... but I stand corrected ;)

I think that's sufficient evidence that DDO isn't as esoteric as either Dakota or I thought... lol

80,000? Jesus. I'll just go ahead and shut up now.
2-D
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 5:13:36 PM
Adding a humorous section to both debates and opinions an easy win for DDO. Three days here and I can see humor adds a lot to the site. As for Humorous opinion arguments on serious issues I think tasteful humor adds to the appeal for guests. If there are only a few opinions there is low traffic/concern for an accurate poll and a laugh is a laugh. If it is a popular issue then it does not skew the poll results and a laugh is a nice break from the issue at hand.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 10:02:10 PM
At 6/8/2013 5:13:36 PM, 2-D wrote:
Adding a humorous section to both debates and opinions an easy win for DDO. Three days here and I can see humor adds a lot to the site. As for Humorous opinion arguments on serious issues I think tasteful humor adds to the appeal for guests. If there are only a few opinions there is low traffic/concern for an accurate poll and a laugh is a laugh. If it is a popular issue then it does not skew the poll results and a laugh is a nice break from the issue at hand.

Not at all a bad idea, sir.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 10:11:19 PM
At 6/8/2013 10:02:10 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 6/8/2013 5:13:36 PM, 2-D wrote:

Not at all a bad idea, sir.

Agreed. A "funny" (or otherwise listed) section where "troll" and non-serious debates can be categorized is an idea I like. It shouldn't be that difficult either. I'll work on seeing that get done as it might help with some issues we have as it relates specifically to debates. I don't know if we want a "trolling section" for debates, but it might be worthwhile to signify them as tongue in cheek, or to be taken less than seriously.
Debate.org Moderator