Presidential Interview - Lazstheloser

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 11:53:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ore_Ele

Thank you for taking the time to do this interview so close to the election.

Right off the bat, why do you believe that Airmax should not get another 6 months? And why do you believe that you are needed to take that spot?

larztheloser

Because I believe my platform's better. The people of DDO need to elect a president with a good vision for the site, and my vision is to work to transform the site into a true online debate portal and community, not a forum community, an opinions community and a debate community. That means - for example - fewer, more well-organised tournaments, doing more work to raise the profile of voting, and RL tournament prep and help threads. I want to carry this site forward to new places.

Ore_Ele

Given the size of the forum community, especially with games, don't you think that focusing on just one aspect might isolate a large number of members?

larztheloser

I think forum games are very valuable diversions for many members of the site, but I also think they're working well. It's the debates that need our attention right now. I think it's particularly bad that this is a debate site that happens to support forum games, but for many, many members it has become a forum gaming site that happens to support debates. For many of those members, that's because they became isolated from the debating aspect of the site, and I want to change that. I want to make debates on this site worth having.

Ore_Ele

One of the major roles of the president is conflict resolution between members. This requires one to be social and interactive with all members. As someone who only recently became active on the forums and focuses on debates, how do you plan on dealing with the conflicts that arise?

larztheloser

You're absolutely right, conflict resolution is very important. That means being trustworthy, but also objective, fair and reasonable. I think being an infrequent poster actually helps with this, as it gives me the oppertunity to see things from a more impartial perspective, not getting involved myself.

I also think, however, that this site just has too many conflicts. A lot of people on this site think they're anonymous and that they can just say mean things about other members without consequence. I think the president's job to some extent must be to prevent these kinds of people from causing too much havok. Often I think just identifying the problem early and taking it seriously will be enough. That, of course, will mean that I would be spending a significantly greater proportion of my time on the forums and less actually doing debating - a small sacrifice if it improves the quality of debating for other site members.

When conflicts do arise and I cannot immediately mediate a solution between parties, I'm a strong proponent of the trial based system that has worked well in the past, and would maintain that for most disputes.

Ore_Ele

Both Airmax and Innomen have utilized a group of members to help them with their duties. If elected, would you also utilize a group and if so, would the group be public ally known or even elected?

larztheloser

I would hope that all of DDO continues to make great contributions and aims to do their part to improve the community. That would help me with my duties more than anything.

If there was anyone specially selected to help me with my duties, those people would be publically known from day one. Those people would also be publically held to account, to a much higher standard than ordinary members, depending on how exactly they are helping. In general, however, I am opposed to the need for selecting such a group and would not immediately do so if elected.

The exact mechanism for the selection process would probably depend much on the position, but I am generally in favor of more elections and input from site members.

Ore_Ele

Before we end the interview, would you have anything else that you would like to add?

larztheloser

Thanks to you for doing these interviews!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 12:04:10 AM
Hes still running?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 10:28:55 AM
Larzetheloser, a lot of new members stay on the site for one or two weeks, and then just leave. Do you have anything planned to make the site more attractive to new users, so they stay?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 11:28:34 AM
At 6/10/2013 5:38:00 AM, larztheloser wrote:
Why wouldn't I be?

Because youre a ghost who rarely posts in the forums at all
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 1:35:36 PM
At 6/10/2013 11:28:34 AM, imabench wrote:
Why wouldn't I be?

Let's judge based on merit, eyy.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 3:39:22 PM
At 6/10/2013 6:10:19 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Because Airmax is too formidable and will visit you at night if you don't surrender now?
Nolite Timere
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 8:17:09 PM
Why wouldn't I be?

Doesn't sound like much of a disqualification. It shouldn't be a contest of who has the most friends but who has the best ideas.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 8:22:42 PM
At 6/10/2013 10:28:55 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Larzetheloser, a lot of new members stay on the site for one or two weeks, and then just leave. Do you have anything planned to make the site more attractive to new users, so they stay?

Yes. Users come to this site mostly to debate. This is debate dot org. I think a lot of users leave because their debates don't get voted on, when they do the votes don't help them improve, and they have no reason to keep doing it. I want to reverse that. I want new members to feel encouraged to keep debating. When I first joined this site, Sieben offered to debate me after seeing my first debate and getting into a comments discussion. Had it not been for that encouragement, I probably would have stopped right then and there. DDO has lost that culture. We've changed, but we can change back. As president, my policies like those for encouraging better voting will hopefully help with that.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 8:24:38 PM
At 6/10/2013 8:17:09 PM, larztheloser wrote:
Why wouldn't I be?

Doesn't sound like much of a disqualification. It shouldn't be a contest of who has the most friends but who has the best ideas.

But you haven't had a single good idea either

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 8:32:51 PM
At 6/10/2013 8:24:38 PM, imabench wrote:
Why wouldn't I be?

That would be a disqualification if it was true.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 8:50:25 PM
At 6/10/2013 8:24:38 PM, imabench wrote:
Why wouldn't I be?

lol, well I'll say that I liked larz's interview, I thought it was a good read. I think he makes a great point that debating SHOULD be the primary activity here, although I'm at a total loss how to make it more prevalent than it is now.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Harbinger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 3:41:26 AM
To be fair, I have not read Airmax's platform but Larz's is very good ideas. We see that from the lack of objection to his ideas.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."