Jump to topic:

What is the point of percentiles?

GOP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2013 7:11:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I see people on 63rd percentile, 82nd percentile, 99th percentile, and so on.

However, none of these percentiles reflect their actual ranking in any way. If anything, it's the ELO rating that does reflect their ranking. So, even if someone has 10 wins and 30 losses, that person is still around the 90's. Am I wrong? Do correct me if I am.

I am new to DDO, anyway. Haha.
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2013 7:16:08 PM
At 6/15/2013 7:11:28 PM, GOP wrote:

However, none of these percentiles reflect their actual ranking in any way. If anything, it's the ELO rating that does reflect their ranking. So, even if someone has 10 wins and 30 losses, that person is still around the 90's. Am I wrong? Do correct me if I am.

First of all a warm welcome to debate.org!

A percentile states that you are better than x% of members on debate.org. For example, if you are in the 90th percentile, you are better than 90% of members on DDO.

I do have to agree with you that there are some serious updates needed to the percentile rankings. Those are currently underway I believe.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2013 9:37:55 PM
Take my record for instance

Debates 47
Lost: 39
Tied: 0
Won: 8
Win Ratio: 17.02%
Percentile: 96.00%

Doesn't make much sense to me either. Seems like it reflects total debates win or loose.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2013 11:36:56 PM
I suspect it takes your Elo Ranking (the number you have for winning debates), and calculates it against the total number of users. As many users have not won a single debate at all, it'd be hard to be below 90%.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 12:25:47 AM
Click on the heading of the "percentiles" column and it will reorder the list by percentile. Then it's obvious that the list is ordered by the number of wins. So 6-100-10 is higher ranked than 5-0-0. This is the way it was set up when the site was first built, and it's been carried over ever since.

Why would anyone choose to rank by number of wins? My guess is that it encourages people to come back to the site and do more debates so that their percentile rank will increase. Elo is a recent innovation that better measures debate skill. A newb who can pick off some of the top debaters will advance quickly.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 12:26:42 PM
At 6/15/2013 7:16:08 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

A percentile states that you are better than x% of members on debate.org. For example, if you are in the 90th percentile, you are better than 90% of members on DDO.

I do have to agree with you that there are some serious updates needed to the percentile rankings. Those are currently underway I believe.

I guess that means I'm better than 99.7% of this site. LOL!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 3:15:40 PM
At 6/16/2013 12:26:42 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Considering my win ratio is 17% and my percentile is just under 3points less than yours, I don't know if that is saying much.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 3:17:22 PM
At 6/16/2013 12:25:47 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Click on the heading of the "percentiles" column and it will reorder the list by percentile. Then it's obvious that the list is ordered by the number of wins. So 6-100-10 is higher ranked than 5-0-0. This is the way it was set up when the site was first built, and it's been carried over ever since.

Why would anyone choose to rank by number of wins? My guess is that it encourages people to come back to the site and do more debates so that their percentile rank will increase. Elo is a recent innovation that better measures debate skill. A newb who can pick off some of the top debaters will advance quickly.

I think it would be a good idea of we debated sometime, for my ELO, but not yours... lol
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 3:24:10 PM
At 6/16/2013 3:15:40 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 6/16/2013 12:26:42 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Considering my win ratio is 17% and my percentile is just under 3points less than yours, I don't know if that is saying much.

that's true, but the win percentile is basicly based on how many debates you win.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~